Emailing big audio files as attachments

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
Hi! My wife's a therapist, does 1-2 hour sessions on skype/land line phone which she records with a digital recorder, transfers to her laptop by USB, then sends them by email (as attachments) using Hightail (previously named YouSendIt). She has to subscribe and use the latter as email servers usually don't allow attachments beyond a certain size, and these audio files are Big.

As a family, we're trying to migrate away from computers altogether and just use our iPhones, ipads, and maybe one media server in the house as a large local (as opposed to Carbonite, Dropbox, and iCloud--we have accounts with all three) repository of larger media files and as our internet 'TV' (as we don't have cable or dish).

My question is: is there a way to send large files recorded with the Voice Memo or Audio Memo app on an iPhone then Directly attach these files to some service (even a paid one) with which we can email the file to clients?

I could imagine we could save these files using iFile into Dropbox, share a folder with a client and then the client could download the file. But these people are way too inexperienced (I'm only slightly more experienced than they are!) with computers, so the best they can handle is to just open an email attachment and get their audio file. This Hightail can manage, but hitherto Hightail requires all the USB/Laptop transfer junk, as they can't accept files recorded on an idevice and directly process that same file (without transferring it) in their Hightail app running on the same idevice.

I'll be off cell/internet for 10 days within about 12 hours, so if you reply, I won't be able to answer for over a week. But I deeply appreciate any knowledgeable guidance!
Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, you can use DropBox for that. You don't have to share a folder with them. Just send the link. No one will have access to it except the person with the link.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
Awesome, Europa, what a solution! I use a shared Dropbox folder with my colleagues at work but I never knew you could email a link to a file you've stored in the Dropbox cloud, and the recipient could download it and not have access to any thing else there. That's precisely what Hightail does, but with your iFile app suggestion (I read about this app in another Europa post), we can record an audio file with iFile on the iPhone, save it to dropbox, then email a link to the client, right? If so, Super!
Question is, can you do the same thing with Google Drive?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Awesome, Europa, what a solution! I use a shared Dropbox folder with my colleagues at work but I never knew you could email a link to a file you've stored in the Dropbox cloud, and the recipient could download it and not have access to any thing else there. That's precisely what Hightail does, but with your iFile app suggestion (I read about this app in another Europa post), we can record an audio file with iFile on the iPhone, save it to dropbox, then email a link to the client, right? If so, Super!
Question is, can you do the same thing with Google Drive?
1. Yep.
2. Google Drive is the same type of service as DropBox. I tried Google Drive for a while and ended up going back to DropBox after a few months as I prefer it. It's personal preference, though. There is no need for both unless you want more free cloud space and one or the other isn't enough.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
1. Yep.
2. Google Drive is the same type of service as DropBox. I tried Google Drive for a while and ended up going back to DropBox after a few months as I prefer it. It's personal preference, though. There is no need for both unless you want more free cloud space and one or the other isn't enough.

Rootntootn

Bronze
Sep 11, 2011
I decided to buy the app voice recorder HD as it uploads files very nicely to dropbox. Looks like a great solution! Thanks again, Jonathan