Emails from iPhone not going to sender

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JHoffy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I have sent 3 emails from my iPhone using my yahoo account to my other account. None of them have reached their destinations. I sent an email from my other account to my yahoo account and I have received it immediately on my iPhone. Then I replied to it and it hasn't gotten back to the other account.

Any thoughts?

Jon

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I have sent 3 emails from my iPhone using my yahoo account to my other account. None of them have reached their destinations. I sent an email from my other account to my yahoo account and I have received it immediately on my iPhone. Then I replied to it and it hasn't gotten back to the other account.

Any thoughts?

Jon
I set my Yahoo mail up last night and got all of them to go through. It does seem like it takes a little longer for the yahoo outgoing mail to go through than it does the incoming.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
i am still having truble sending e-mail. getting it no problem. sending issues still
If you're using POP3 from your ISP, you're going to have problems more than likely. Most ISPs block outgoing mail away from their server to prevent spam. It's the same reason you can't send email on your laptop from your ISP when you're using a WIFI hotspot away from your home. Unless you use an internet based email like hotmail, yahoo, or gmail, then you're going to probably have this issue.

There are some workarounds. Try the Apple iPhone discussion forums. I posted the question there and got some convoluted workarounds, but I haven't tried them yet.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If you're using POP3 from your ISP, you're going to have problems more than likely. Most ISPs block outgoing mail away from their server to prevent spam. It's the same reason you can't send email on your laptop from your ISP when you're using a WIFI hotspot away from your home. Unless you use an internet based email like hotmail, yahoo, or gmail, then you're going to probably have this issue.

There are some workarounds. Try the Apple iPhone discussion forums. I posted the question there and got some convoluted workarounds, but I haven't tried them yet.
This isn't true.
AT&T allows you to use their outgoing mail server so you can send mail over the edge network. You just need to go into your mail account on the iPhone and set the outgoing server to:
cwmx.com

You won't be able to send mail through WiFi, but you will be able to send it through edge, so you'd just need to be sure you're connected to EDGE. This is the way I'm handling it and it works fine. I keep WiFi off anyway unless I need it to browse the web (you'll get much better battery life).

CLOUDHOPPER

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I think this is a problem with the yahoo servers because I cant send anything nor can anyone else that I know that owns the iPhone.

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
Email problem comcast.

I had this problem sending email with picture attachments via comcast. I would get a message that the email was rejected by the server. I could send text messages without problem. I changed my outgoing mail settings cwmx.com as DRabbit recommended and email was sent without problem.

Now I am looking at my mail.comcast.net account that used to have
smtp.comcast.net:25 in the outgoing mail server host name and it is blank
(has smtp.example.com in grey).

Email was sent by EDGE not Wifi. If I am on the wifi network I am wondering if I can still send email this way?

Glenn

Neil

Bronze
I had this problem sending email with picture attachments via comcast. I would get a message that the email was rejected by the server. I could send text messages without problem. I changed my outgoing mail settings cwmx.com as DRabbit recommended and email was sent without problem.

Now I am looking at my mail.comcast.net account that used to have
smtp.comcast.net:25 in the outgoing mail server host name and it is blank
(has smtp.example.com in grey).

Email was sent by EDGE not Wifi. If I am on the wifi network I am wondering if I can still send email this way?

Glenn
I wonder if this means comcast (and others?) users might have to configure 2 mail accounts on the iPhone, one for EDGE and one for wifi.

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
I wonder if this means comcast (and others?) users might have to configure 2 mail accounts on the iPhone, one for EDGE and one for wifi.

I just tested the outgoing email server setting again. With smtp.comcast.mail by 98Kb picture would not email. With cwmx.com as server address email went without problem. Comcast has been a bit flacky this morning though anyway. I could not log into their server sever times with my desktop computer, so I need to test this more thoroughly with either EDGE or Wifi using both server addresses.

Glenn

Neil

Bronze
Comcast is indeed flaky today. I am currently sending and receiving emails via iPhone using mail.comcast.net as incoming server and smtp.comcast.net as outgoing. I also put my same user name and password in the outgoing server slots even though it says optional. No idea if that makes any difference.
This is with wifi. Still have to test with EDGe.

Wishbone

Jun 18, 2007
I am using Gmail and have had no problems sending or receiving mail through them. I have read that there appears to be numerous problems with the "Cable guys" (Comcast, RoadRunner, etc) but I'm somewhat surprised at Yahoo. I thought they were a big time partner with this phone?

Neil

Bronze
I am currently sending and receiving emails via iPhone using mail.comcast.net as incoming server and smtp.comcast.net as outgoing. I also put my same user name and password in the outgoing server slots even though it says optional. No idea if that makes any difference.
This is with wifi. Still have to test with EDGe.[/quote]

Just tested these settings using EDGE at the grocery store and sending and receiving worked fine. knock, knock, knocking on wood.

gmcenroe

Jul 5, 2007
San Mateo, CA
OK Now I have comcast email working without problem. Whether this is because comcast is working better or my iPhone is correctly configured I do not know. But here are my settings:

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name: mail.comcast.net
User Name: xxxxxxxx
Password: **********

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)
Host Name: smtp.comcast.net
User Name: xxxxxxxxxx (fill this in with your username)
Password: ************* (fill this in with your password)

Under advanced Settings

Incoming Uses SSL: ON
Outgoing Uses SSL: OFF
Delete from server: Never

I hope this works for you. I was able to send a photo from my iPhone to my work email. Tried it twice and no problems.

Glenn

Simon Templar

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Infinite Rider On The Big Dogma
......Most ISPs block outgoing mail away from their server to prevent spam. It's the same reason you can't send email on your laptop from your ISP when you're using a WIFI hotspot away from your home.

Yes....I was pulling my hair out trying to get email sent via my RoadRunner account until I read about this.

I have found the easiest fix to be simply sending all my iPhone email through my .Mac account.

.....sT

HappyPhone

Jul 6, 2007
I too Changed Outgoing Mail Server.....

I also tried entering smtp.comcast.net and included my username and password, as recommended by another poster here. This did not work, only cwmx.com as outgoing address works for me on EDGE.

Glenn

Glenn - I too changed the Outgoing Mail Server Host name to cwmx.com, while leaving the User name and Password blank. It works. I can now send mail. I use Earthlink POP. I was told that the cwmc.com server is an AT&T server. Either way it works. They are having issues with POP accounts, but this has fixed my issue. Hope it fixes others.
I was on the phone for an hour with one person. Reseting everything, restarting the iPhone several times. This simple fix corrected it!
Good luck