Emulating iPhone home key in software

addy7de

Feb 5, 2008
I was able to revive my iPhone (which went swimming in a bucket) after two months in the drier (uncooked rice and pouches of silica gel in a sealed jar).

My phone boots but the home key refuses to work. So if I open an application, I have to switch the phone off and boot again to get to the home screen.

My phone is version 1.0.2 and I had unlocked it way back in September using iBrickr.

I was wondering if it is possible to emulate the home key in software. for example can we place a semi-transparent button near the bottom which if pressed for 5 seconds returns the phone to the home screen? Or better still, can it be gesture based (eg crossing out an app returns me to home ?

If this is possible, I would like to write it up and try it. Can someone point me to FAQs/tutorial on how to write and install apps on OS X/iPhone ?

I don't know a way of doing that but you can install "Dock" on your phone. Dock is a small application that puts a starburst in the lower right corner of the screen and is selectable from within other applications. When you put your finger on the starburst it opens an arc of icons across the screen and you can scroll through them to select the application you wish to launch. It will close your current one and open the new one when selected.

This image shows the sunburst way down in the lower right corner.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1084/1333920588_4f2dfbfd5d.jpg

This image shows the arc I was talking about
http://www.iphon.fr/public/Periode3(08-2007)/iphone-dock.jpg

addy7de

Feb 5, 2008
I was able to revive my iPhone (which went swimming in a bucket) after two months in the drier (uncooked rice and pouches of silica gel in a sealed jar).

My phone boots but the home key refuses to work. So if I open an application, I have to switch the phone off and boot again to get to the home screen.

My phone is version 1.0.2 and I had unlocked it way back in September using iBrickr.

I was wondering if it is possible to emulate the home key in software. for example can we place a semi-transparent button near the bottom which if pressed for 5 seconds returns the phone to the home screen? Or better still, can it be gesture based (eg crossing out an app returns me to home ?

If this is possible, I would like to write it up and try it. I don't have any experience of writing apps for a phone, I am a hardware engineer :sick:. Can someone point me to FAQs/tutorial on how to write and install apps on OS X/iPhone ?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
If the phone works in all other respects I would do a hardware fix.

Does the button feel like it works? If so it's probably just contamination or corrosion that's stopping it working.

Open the phone and have a look if the contact area can be cleaned.

addy7de

Feb 5, 2008
The button feels fine. It depresses like before. Is the button assembly accessable by removing the black plastic cover? I don't have the required screwdrivers to remove the casing completely. But definitely worth a shot!

Also, is there any way to remap the home key to the volume control key? I couldnt find a key bindings file!

Thanks!:)

farhan

Mar 5, 2008
I have a similar issue. My iPhones home button suddenly stopped responding. Though not roughly used or miss handled. I would also like to know if there is any solution to this problem.

Aug 21, 2008
emulate home key

Point op made was hey can somebody help me write something to emulate this key.
Point is Mine works fine but I would rather have a point i can press on the screen to emulate the Home key as im sure after the key has been pressed a lot it will fail- its an obvious weak point in the design.
my ipod touch is 2 days old and i am interested in getting this emulated if any 1 can help in detail post here - thx in advance

Billy

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
i also would love to know how to do this with the lock button because mine does not work at the moment....sorry for the hijak of the trhread but i made one and didn't get answered at all?