Ending apps?

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
How do I end applications, namely the ipod? On my 3G, I would just hold down the home button for about 8-10 seconds and that would end anything running in the background. Now, if I do that, it brings me to the voice control screen. What do I do? Thank you

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hold the power button until the slide to unlock screen pops up then let go of the power button and hold the home button until it and the app needing ended goes away and you see the home screen.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just tried this with the mail app & still got alert for new mail.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
You could have push or fetch enabled which won't let mail close. Even if you restart the phone mail will not close. I think it is a 3.0 bug. I will tell you if it is fixed when I update to 3.1 which is now available in beta to devs.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
You could have push or fetch enabled which won't let mail close. Even if you restart the phone mail will not close. I think it is a 3.0 bug. I will tell you if it is fixed when I update to 3.1 which is now available in beta to devs.
Mail and Phone never closed that way. They are the two things that have always stayed open no matter what. The new way of force closing works for Safari and Ipod, same as the old way only closed Safari and Ipod.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
It does kill the app, but mail reopens right away. It'd be like closing finder on a mac - it'll reopen. You need it (finder, not mail). AFAIK, Phone and Mail are the only 2 apps that you can't close "forever".