Engadget reveals...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
My advice would be not to type with two thumbs then.

That is so dumb.

If I typed on a regular keyboard with two thumbs it would suck as well. People need to stop being confined by the horrible ui and constraints that have been smartphones to date and use the iPhone like normal people.

I doubt any person who was not tainted by poor smartphones would even try to type on the iPhone with two thumbs.

Anyone who took SEVERAL DAYS to determine they should not be using their thumbs is not someone whose opinion I would regard very highly.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
...and yet, i don't care.

it's an interesting read...and i hope it's not true...but for better or worse, at this point, i'm not going to NOT buy an iPhone

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Anyone that has tried any of the various touch screen interfaces, knows they are miserable for typing. I don't see that as much of a drawback in the case of the iPhone as it's mainly an entertainment device first, and a communication device second. In fact Apple could have saved themselves a lot of problems if they would have left off the phone. By choosing to include a phone they have exposed themselves to competition they may not be prepared to deal with.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
And who wouldn't know that downloading youtube clips on EDGE speeds wouldn't be frustrating! They're just beating a dead horse.
Ah yes... I could not agree with you more.

All one has to do is go to the AT&T Wireless web site and you will see they are currently offering sixteen.... that's 16... phones running on 3G!

So the Apple argument that there is not enough of a network yet, is bunk!

It's just fine for Motorola, Samsung, and others, but not the Apple Snobs.

Mind boggling mistake on Apples part, and then to blame others...... yeah right!

Hey Apple! Don't complain about EDGE when YOU have 3G available, and you were too cheap and ignorant to include it!

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
Theory: Apple built the 3G radio into the iPhone. They just deactivated it for now since the power issue is still there. They will update the software later on, maybe at the end of the year, and that will activate the 3G antenna.

Basis for theory: The MacBook Pro, and maybe the Macbook, was advertised with b/g wireless. Then Apple offered software to enable the N-draft radio.

Hopefully they did the same for the iPhone.
Hey, it's a theory.
:)

Jun 3, 2007
Oregon
Theory: Apple built the 3G radio into the iPhone. They just deactivated it for now since the power issue is still there. They will update the software later on, maybe at the end of the year, and that will activate the 3G antenna.

Basis for theory: The MacBook Pro, and maybe the Macbook, was advertised with b/g wireless. Then Apple offered software to enable the N-draft radio.

Hopefully they did the same for the iPhone.
Hey, it's a theory.
:)
A mistake Apple will not repeat. it was a financial fiasco. Mac users were having to pay EXTRA for a computer they had already purchased. Apple learned their lesson from that.

Trust me, I wish this was the case, but i highly doubt Apple pulled another move like that.

If they don't announce it on the 29th that it has 3G, its not there.

And they wont either, i read the FCC report, its not in there.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
A mistake Apple will not repeat. it was a financial fiasco. Mac users were having to pay EXTRA for a computer they had already purchased. Apple learned their lesson from that.

Trust me, I wish this was the case, but i highly doubt Apple pulled another move like that.

isn't a lot of the FCC reports censored for the time being until a time after the 29th? i thought i remember reading that

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007

(sigh)

Thanks for popping my bubble........:p

But you are right, I know you are as I follow all of this very closely.

I must admit I just had a moment of optimism and fantasy there.

Then BAM! The slap of reality! Nice work, and thanks for setting the record straight..... someone's got to do it....:laugh2:

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
That was an accounting problem. If you had listened to the most recent investor conferance call you would know that Apple recently made changes to tthe way they process some payments sso that they can do these sorts of upgrades in the furture for free. Actually they have already done it with AppleTV. So the possibility of new features (3G, GPS) etc being added as a free software upgrade in the future is not out of the relm of possibility.

- SR

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
I wonder if the 'source' that is leaking info to engadget is a previous Backberry/Blackjack user? I suspect that anyone who is extremely used to 'thumb' typing will have a very hard time adjusting to iPhone. If you have never 'thunb' typed before I doubt it will be very hard. It has already been said that it will take a few days to gwet used to and that you have to 'trust' the keyboard. I'm not worried at all about this Engadget 'source'.

- SR

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ