Engraving on the iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I hope Apple offers the same engraving service for online purchases. Seems it would be nice to have my name engraved on a $600 phone. If they go on sale online before they're released in the stores (as has been hinted at in a couple of places), then I'll probably just buy through Apple.com.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
If you order via Apple, I'm with Munster on this one... there might be a 2-4 week before delivery... might as well get it personalized.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Munster on the iPhone again:
"The iPhone launch is set to be one of the largest product launches in company history," wrote Munster. "Both Apple and AT&T stores will sell the device (nearly 2,000 combined storefronts) and both companies will sell iPhone on their websites."

He added that, initially, he expects lead times (estimated wait for delivery) for the iPhone through Apple's online store to be about 2-4 weeks.
Now it's entirely possible we'll be able to order online (say WWDC) and get it in time for the June 29 launch but I'm not holding my breath.

tikune

Apr 23, 2007
June 29th?

Munster on the iPhone again:

Now it's entirely possible we'll be able to order online (say WWDC) and get it in time for the June 29 launch but I'm not holding my breath.
Now is the first time I'm hearing June 29th. I've heard June 11th, 15th, and 20th suggested. From what source are you citing the June 29th date?

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
whoa whoa...what happened to next day delivery?
Actually, I don't know if this will be the same for the iPhone, but for the engraved iPods, those are actually engraved at a factory in China, packed up for shipping to the US every evening over there, send over here on a plane and then distributed via UPS (or FedX) from their DC here.

No reason I can think of they wouldn't do the same with the iPhone.

You know, I also believe all online orders from Apple are processed the same way.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Actually, I don't know if this will be the same for the iPhone, but for the engraved iPods, those are actually engraved at a factory in China, packed up for shipping to the US every evening over there, send over here on a plane and then distributed via UPS (or FedX) from their DC here.

No reason I can think of they wouldn't do the same with the iPhone.

You know, I also believe all online orders from Apple are processed the same way.
If they're doing all that, then they're doing some extremely fast shipping.

I ordered two engraved Nanos during the Christmas shopping season (and Apples largest selling season) on a Sunday morning. I had them shipped directly to my school and they arrived on Thursday afternoon. If you're correct, then that means they went from China to my hometown in three days (you can't really count Sunday). I tracked the FedEx tracking number and it never showed anything about China. Actually, I thought they came from a facility in Canada.

I guess they could have gone to China without anything being on the FedEx shipping, but if they did, then they've got supply chain management down to a science.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If they're doing all that, then they're doing some extremely fast shipping.

I ordered two engraved Nanos during the Christmas shopping season (and Apples largest selling season) on a Sunday morning. I had them shipped directly to my school and they arrived on Thursday afternoon. If you're correct, then that means they went from China to my hometown in three days (you can't really count Sunday). I tracked the FedEx tracking number and it never showed anything about China. Actually, I thought they came from a facility in Canada.

I guess they could have gone to China without anything being on the FedEx shipping, but if they did, then they've got supply chain management down to a science.
Actually there is a company over there that does this service for a bunch of high tech companies. It's really pretty simple. Think of it this way: Five PM here is 8am there (China). So about the time we finish work, they start work. All the orders taken during the day are collected and filled over there in what is out evening and night. Maybe about 10 or 12 hours later they are loading an airplane with what we ordered yesterday. Another 12 hours they are unloaded here in the US. Another 24hrs via UPS or FedX and the goods are at your doorstep. So, really, as long as they are processing all orders each day they are only about 36 hours from warehouse in China to your doorstep.

What makes this possible is the fact that there's no middleman. Apple gets full pop on retail and can afford to pay a little extra to get product to you this way.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Actually there is a company over there that does this service for a bunch of high tech companies. It's really pretty simple. Think of it this way: Five PM here is 8am there (China). So about the time we finish work, they start work. All the orders taken during the day are collected and filled over there in what is out evening and night. Maybe about 10 or 12 hours later they are loading an airplane with what we ordered yesterday. Another 12 hours they are unloaded here in the US. Another 24hrs via UPS or FedX and the goods are at your doorstep. So, really, as long as they are processing all orders each day they are only about 36 hours from warehouse in China to your doorstep.

What makes this possible is the fact that there's no middleman. Apple gets full pop on retail and can afford to pay a little extra to get product to you this way.
I was amazed at the speed when it happened. Now I'm even more amazed.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Well, the interesting part is that they could be doing all that here in the US and get it to you the very next day. So, along the way someone there has done a cost analysis on this.

Shipping goods to the US by sea, stocking in the US, US labor rates, property values, etc.

vs.

Keeping goods in China, using Chinese labor rates, property values, and shipping to the US by air.

So, somewhere along the way they figured that Chinese labor rates and property values cost less than air freighting goods to the US.

THAT'S the really whack part about it all.

I'd love to see all the details of how they did this analysis.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Especially the custom engraving... they must have a lot of that automated. When I got my free iPod Mini (with my PowerBook a couple years ago), the iPod got here before the computer did. Both were shipped from China I believe.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Especially the custom engraving... they must have a lot of that automated. When I got my free iPod Mini (with my PowerBook a couple years ago), the iPod got here before the computer did. Both were shipped from China I believe.
Those machines are really simple.

Load iPod.
Type in words to be engraved.
Double check spelling.
Push on button. Wait (or load second machine).
Remove iPod.
Repack and send to shipping.

I'm guessing a 1 - 2 minute cycle time, to run two machines. That means one operator can do 450 to 900 units a day.