Enjoying my Watch, few questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Shanezam203

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Love my Apple watch, I have a few questions after using it 2-3 days.

1. Back Light is OFF when new notifications come in till I bring wrist to my face, is that a setting or 100% set? I get a vibrate so is it designed like that to not always be lighting up?
  2. I added a World Clock or NY timezone, is there not one for central time, only California and NY?
  3. Is there a step counter, I see Activity and the Circular chart but is there a # of steps taken in the day? Can that be added to Watch Face?
  4. Is there a Dial Pad on the watch and phone icon or only Favorites and Contacts?
  5. Pushing the button BELOW the crown from home screen brings you to my brothers contact and a picture, what is that, a shortcut?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC

1. Back Light is OFF when new notifications come in till I bring wrist to my face, is that a setting or 100% set? I get a vibrate so is it designed like that to not always be lighting up?
  2. I added a World Clock or NY timezone, is there not one for central time, only California and NY?
  3. Is there a step counter, I see Activity and the Circular chart but is there a # of steps taken in the day? Can that be added to Watch Face?
  4. Is there a Dial Pad on the watch and phone icon or only Favorites and Contacts?
  5. Pushing the button BELOW the crown from home screen brings you to my brothers contact and a picture, what is that, a shortcut?
  1. yep, that's by design. You can turn off the motion activation, but you can't set it to turn on with every notification like iPhones/iPads.
  2. World clock mirrors whatever is in your iPhone's Clock App. Central time is in there.
  3. I think the only place you can check steps is in the iPhone's activity app. Pick the day, and scroll to the bottom of your daily summary, under your Stand chart.
  4. no dial pad.
  5. yep, it's your "friends" button. You can edit it on your iPhone's Apple Watch App: My Watch > Friends. Double clicking this button brings up apple pay.

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey

Glad you're enjoying it! So am I!

1. This is by design and can't be changed. Being a long time Pebble user, I am used to the alert showing as soon as it comes in regardless of whether I'm looking at the watch or not. This is a power saving technique Apple is using - also a little more private. I just wish that alerts were shown to me whenever I raised my wrist after the message comes in, not just within the first few seconds. I sometimes feel like I'm scrambling to raise my wrist when I feel a tap so I can see the notification come up without having to interact with the watch. If you wait more than a few seconds, you'll need to pull down from the top of the screen to see what the notification was. Hopefully these are settings that will be available to play with in one of the future software updates.

2. World Clocks can be added from the Clock app that comes installed on all iPhones. All World Clocks added here will be available on the Apple Watch as options. Just choose a place that is in Central if you wish (Like Kansas City or Dallas).

3. On the activity App, from the Left Most screen which is the 3 circles together, pull down for Active Calories, Total Steps, and Total Distance (for the day). Unfortunately the steps cannot be added to a watchface, but the activity wheel can be added to many, and pressed to take you to the screen mentioned here.

4. You cannot dial a phone number manually from the watch as far as i know. I believe only 10 favorites can be added - These are the ones you can call from your wrist.

5. The favorites I mentioned in 4 are arrived at by pressing the button below the crown. To add more, use the Apple Watch app on the iPhone and go to the settings menu. This button will let you call, message, and if a favorite has an apple watch, digital touch communicate with them.

Hope this helps!