Enough Supply To Meet Demand

topshotta

May 21, 2007
I just got off the phone with the local Apple store (Legacy Village, Cleveland area) and was confirming with them that they will in fact be getting the iPhone on release date. The woman I spoke with said they would and they were not 100% certain yet, but are also pretty certain that they will have the ability to activate the phones there. I also asked about supply/demand, and she told me that they have been informed that they will in fact have enough supply to meet the expected demand. With that being said I guess it's all speculation, but it sort of gave me a warm feeling hearing it from an Apple rep.

wubagel

May 22, 2007
This doesn't really answer your question but poses another... you said they can activate the phones from the Apple stores. Are there going to be full service AT&T stations that can take my old number from verizon, transfer my contacts, etc. Or am I better off going to a Cingular store for that.

Also, if they can do all those things, I'm assuming you can use Apple gift cards to purchase the phone and service plan yes?

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
to me, if 1 this guy is telling the truth which i don't doubt and 2 the APPLE store rep is speaking with some sort of knowledge then i feel a little comforted knowing that supply will meet demand.

it's a bold statement to say that. if there were some internal rumblings at Apple that there wouldn't be enough, i think the response would be not so affirmative.

cpl55

May 25, 2007
Supply/demand...

Has anyone heard any numbers, like how many iPhones each AT&T and Apple store is likely to get at launch? What about the breakdown of 8 GB vs. 4 GB units?

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Has anyone heard any numbers, like how many iPhones each AT&T and Apple store is likely to get at launch? What about the breakdown of 8 GB vs. 4 GB units?
It would be my thought that this information is confidential to the stores at this point. So we will just have to wait and see.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
The local AT&T rep told me that they would request a number of each phone to meet what is on their waiting list, plus extra.

Maybe each store sends in a request to how many they want.

As far as Apple being able to activate the phones in their stores..
The only Apple store that I know of in my area is in the Mall.
And in that mall there are 3 cingular kiosks and a cingular store.
If the cingular store is sold out that I'm going to, I'll just go there.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
The local AT&T rep told me that they would request a number of each phone to meet what is on their waiting list, plus extra.

I work with an AT&T corporate rep since I own a large scale businesss, and I issue mobile phones to my employees. He said that collectively AT&T along with Apple are doing everything possible to ensure that the launch goes smoothly and problem free.

Both companies have done a tremendous amount of research and polling of potential customers in an effort to identify as closely as possible, the number of buyers that will want the product immediately. Therefore I'm quite confident that unless some unforeseen circumstance occurs, they will probably have plenty of phones available.

Based on the combined resources of both companies I believe that this will be one of the most successful product launches in history.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

but there's already been posted documents that say there will not be any waiting list.

May 6, 2007
United States
I just got off the phone with the local Apple store (Legacy Village, Cleveland area) and was confirming with them that they will in fact be getting the iPhone on release date. The woman I spoke with said they would and they were not 100% certain yet, but are also pretty certain that they will have the ability to activate the phones there. I also asked about supply/demand, and she told me that they have been informed that they will in fact have enough supply to meet the expected demand. With that being said I guess it's all speculation, but it sort of gave me a warm feeling hearing it from an Apple rep.
Cool, thanks for the info. I agree that it makes you feel good, until you realize that this is a just another rumor. It is now impossible to tell what is fact and what is fiction.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I am thinking if you want one on release day, you should be able to get one with no issues.

Yes there is a bunch of hype, but the phone is going to run $500+..

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Well apparently the latest rumor date is june 20th, and that is the day before school gets out here. So maybe I can get one and show it off for one day :D lol

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Replace waiting list with something that sounds better.. say.. interested parties list.
It's just what they called it. :p
It doesn't matter what you call it, the At&t documentation said there wouldn't be a waiting list of any kind. It stipulated that it was first come first serve. Now a good sales rep might want to keep a list to notify people (I guess they still work on commission), but I doubt they turn down people that are in the store with the money in their hands if they have stock available.

May 6, 2007
United States
It would be my thought that this information is confidential to the stores at this point. So we will just have to wait and see.
'

It's true that nobody can be sure at this point, but there are some topics on these forums that are related to speculation in the fields of production and numbers on the release. Unfortunately, though, I don't remember what they are called :p. Just look around a bit, some of us have done some number crunching. Of course, none of it is for sure, but it's the best guess at this point.