Envy breeds Hate. An iPhone love story

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I am noticing something ever since getting my iPhone, envy breeds hate.

Let me be the first to admit that I know the taste well. I preached to myself why I would not get an iPhone, and how my camera-samwhich verizon phone was better... But that was the past, because here I am, an iPhone owner and believer.

Now the interesting thing here is, I'm on the opposite side of the gun now, and I've gotten to the point of darn near hiding my iPhone when I need to use it. God forbid I use it when I want to use it, that would be "showing off..."

I overheard some people talking about the iPhone hype and how they weren't giving in. It could have been a coincidence that they were talking about the iPhone at that moment, or the fact that I had just taken a call mine. Whatever the case, if someone doesn't have, or like the iPhone, they are not content with just disliking it... they HATE IT, and they HATE ON IT.

I would say that there's a lesson to be learned here, that we love the things we hate... without them, we wouldn't be who we are.

<begin family guy scene>
EMPEROR: Yesss... YESsss... Give in to your hate...
<end family guy scene>

MacManiac102

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Plain and simple... they don't have one so they will try to bring it down to make themselves feel better.

Jealousy at its highest here.

robtob

Jul 17, 2007
I too use the iPhone in public in a discreet manner. I suppose since its such a new and expensive product it can make you appear "impulsive" or "spoiled" through the eyes of a skeptic.

MikeT77

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Have you experienced this - you have it with you (as you would, seeing it's your phone) and you take it out to use it or check a new e-mail or get a text....and people either hate on it or fawn over it. I get it all the time....at work, at social functions, out and about, etc. But then they want to touch it and play around on it and stuff, and I need to say, Hey - that's my phone, not some toy. Or they'll put it up to their ear to see what it's like or call their own cell # on it to see what it's like. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there going - Dude, not cool...I don't want your ear grease on my phone!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I too use mine discreetly in public and I don't like that feeling. I hope to get over it soon. I've never seen 1 other person with the phone either, maybe if I did I would not be so self conscious.

On the other hand, I'm very open to allowing anybody who shows interest in it to "play" with it, actually encouraging it. It makes me feel good to share my good fortune of owning it.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for your responses folks, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

I reckon time will ease the waters and soon enough we'll be hating on the late adopters of iPhones, LOL!

"Meh, you know he only got one to fit in, he never even uses safari."

Also, I do not like other people's ear grease on my phone, I don't really let people put the iPhone up to their ear to try it unless they're my family. At least I know where their ear grease has been, heh.

i_poo

Aug 9, 2007
as for the ear grease thing... its not much different from when you had a regular phone before and let people use it before.

the disgusting thing is now you can actually see how much ear grease goes on there. i wipe my home land phones more frequently now.

-------

funny you mention the discreet thing. last night i played bejeweled inside my purse so that no one else at the bar could see it haha. like wearing an expensive watch, its hard to flash that thing around. other times i just don't give a rats ass. depends where you are and who you are around.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I, too, don't feel comfortable to be seen using my iPhone very openly. It has to do with me not liking to show off nor do I like to draw too much attention.

Aug 11, 2007
as for the ear grease thing... its not much different from when you had a regular phone before and let people use it before.

the disgusting thing is now you can actually see how much ear grease goes on there.
Ugh...I never thought of it that way. Disgusting.

Aug 11, 2007
I think that on the other side of the coin, props are due to those that acknowledge but don't gawk or reply rudely. Someone like myself previously who would compliment but not be intrusive or rude, because those people are out there too :)

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
I, too, don't feel comfortable to be seen using my iPhone very openly. It has to do with me not liking to show off nor do I like to draw too much attention.
wow same thing with me, i sometimes don't use mu iPhone because i don't want to show off, but now iam thinking people who think iam showing off should just learn to deal with it.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
in general...

I still use my Jabra 500 with the iPhone so it's not out there most of the time and I like it that way.

Most folks have shown interests but I avoid having it out with lots of people around anyway. There's usually lots of questions and it gets old.

But just like my friend at dinner outside at a restaurant last night, people will always show a human factor.

We were waiting for the last of the tables to finish eating to enjoy some good cigars. Unfortunately with an hour to go before the local ordinance shuts down the outside tables entirely, a group of four decided to take the last table and order dinner.

We lit our cigars and then planned to make a departure before their dinner came as our plan had failed. One guy remarked that our cigars weren't good and he had much better Cubans. The woman nearest us said she just didn't want her hair to smell like our cheap cigars.

So we wished her a good nite and nice meal and we took our Cuban cigars elsewhere. I made a point to let her know that I shared her feelings about Fidel as well even though we we enjoying Cuba's cigars.

Like the iPhone, sometimes people show a funny jealousy sometimes unintended.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I have only met one person in my friend circle that has iPhone. That means everyone else is "on the fence" so...
When you go out its true the usual 50/50 approach of "WOW 600 dollar phone? NEVER!"
to the admiring "Wow you got the iPhone...cool"
I am VERY conscious of positive critisicsm and sarcasm. Its hilarious to me.
The haters tend to forget that YOU worked hard and saved your money to get this device. I am leaving out the people who can afford to drop $600 and then some on a phone without thinking because most people with a LOT of dough hang with the same crowd. Im a DJ and my job is to read people. The only haters i have met have a definite monetary handicap. Its the affordability plain and simple. If you are rich and don't have the iPhone its more of a "don't care so much" or they have an almost equally cool phone(prada yuck!).
THE MOST UNIVERSAL HATING I HAVE RECEIVED FROM BOTH RICH AND NOT SO RICH HAS BEEN THIS.
I cant get the iPhone. Our family just signed with sprint or whoever for 2-3 years etc.
That complaint is the biggest one. People locked in relationships...marriage etc...kids. And they are locked into a contract they feel is foolish to break even if they CAN afford to break it.
That one is the funniest prediciment to me. Heh Heh.
Ok guys...PLAY ON!
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleeper

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I'm sure you'll still think that when Apple release iPhone 2 or something better comes on the market and you still have a year on your contract.

Let's get one thing straight folks:

1) Some people are going to be jealous and sling a bit of sour grapes around.
2) Most people who go "$600 for that? Nah." actually mean it.
3) We are not all the same. If we were life would be intolerably dull. That's why some people don't like it.

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I posted something about this before. Like you say, it's just envy most of the time. It's just like bullies. The reason they bully is that they have some kind of issue they're dealing with. Same with haters. They may be envious or just plain ignorant. On the other hand they may have actually some valid reason for disliking it so much. I find the latter rarely to be the case however.

Oh, and as for the grease thing, it's actually your face oils that you see, not really what's on your ear. If your ear produced that much grease I'd say you need to see a dermatologist.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Whatever the case, if someone doesn't have, or like the iPhone, they are not content with just disliking it... they HATE IT, and they HATE ON IT.
Welcome to the world of Apple. People either love or absolutely hate anything Apple. I used to be on the other side of the fence but recently took my blinders off and came over to the Mac side for a while... and I'm glad I did.

It's brand loyalty and cronyism and drives the absolute angst many express toward Apple. I dismiss the comments.

ajisai

Jul 4, 2007
I also got hateful and mean comments from people about my iPhone.
Their comments always infer that I am so stupid to pay so much money for defected and premature device.
So, I reply that it is not the most expensive item on me.
Of course people look at me like I'm crazy.
Very strange.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
I think I've had maybe 2 people even notice my phone. Granted, I don't show it off or anything as it spends most of it's time in my front pocket. But on the train at night it's clearly visible to lots of people as I watch my favorite television shows and the two people who have asked about it were just interested in seeing it. No haters for me so far.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Nobody touches my iPhone but me. If my iPhone rings and it's for my girlfriend, i give her the heasdset to use. If people at a function ask to hold it, I tell them to go to an Apple store or AT&T store to hold one. Mine is for ME and ME ONLY. I don't care what people may think about me, but hey, it's my phone and I can allow people to touch it or not.

But too many times I have seen it where you give your phone to someone to 'sample' and they don't treat it like it's not their own. They treat it like it is their phone and 'manhandle' the device beyond what I am comfortable with, including dropping it! So, if you want to see it more than just looking at it in MY hands, go to the store and see it all you like.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: