Erase all content & settings on iPhone

1. kizel

kizel New Member

I have 3.0.1 iPhone 3G -- if I got to setting, then reset on the iPhone and select: "Erase all content & settings" -- Will this re-lock my device? Will this remove my jailbreak?

Thank you!

2. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

I'm not sure - I've never done it while being jailbroken. I know that if you do this while running a stock phone, it puts the phone in a state as if you just took it out of the box. Why are you trying to do this? If you're selling, you should restore it to a new phone, and then erase everything (for good measure). But I'd use iTunes via restore to get rid of your jailbreak first.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. kizel

kizel New Member

Yes, I am trying to sell it, but I read that if I use iTunes to do a restore, then it will permanently lock my phone.... I would like to sell it jailbroken and unlocked.

Do you have any suggestions?

5. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

Ouch. Well I'm not sure. If it was me, I'd just do it, but I really have no idea what it will do to a jailbroken/unlocked phone. I'd perhaps post in the modding section of eiC or check out modmyi.com.... good luck. If you do end up trying post back, so we can know what happens...

6. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot Gold

Yes. Doing this will remove your jailbreak. Be aware that this process takes around 1-2 hours to complete and will then force your iPhone into DFU mode to plug in/activate/restore whatever you want, through iTunes.

7. BrainPulse

BrainPulse New Member

No, Using the "Erase all content & settings" option in Settings > Reset will not erase your Jailbreak. This is because the iPhone cannot load the standard firmware on the go. Only when you restore via iTunes, your iPhone will be re-locked.

8. computerfox

computerfox Zealot Gold

i don't believe so. the only way that the phone would be unjailbroken is if you try to update/restore it with iTunes with an unpwned firmware file. iTunes will notice that it is jailbroken and will immediately lock it and it's a pain to restore it, but the worst thing that would happen if it gets locked is you would have to go to iTunes with a pwned version of the firmware and restore it with that file. if you have a jailbroken iPhone and want to upgrade or update 3.1, do no do it directly with iTunes. do the equivalent to right click, choose the pwned file and then click restore.

good luck and best wishes.

9. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot Gold

These two posts above are incorrect. After you select "Erase All Contents and Settings" your iPhone no longer has an operating system on it. It forces your iPhone into DFU mode (most of the time) and you must plug it into iTunes to complete the process.

10. dturner

dturner Zealot Gold

He knows of what he speaks. Listen to him.

11. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

No it doesn't. I've erased all contents and settings on 4 different iPhones. It doesn't prompt you to restore, but it does take about 2 hours to erase everything and get you back to stock.

12. KabaModern

KabaModern Zealot Gold

I guess technically you're right, it touches the media partition; however, I've been in the boat one too many times where it gets stuck on the Apple logo and kicks into DFU mode (on my 2G and 3G)...