"Erase Data" logic?

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Has anyone used the "Erase Data" setting (Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Erase Data)?

I set my device to erase the data after 10 failed passcode attempts. As an experiment, I locked my device and entered a wrong passcode. No problem, it said it was wrong and it gave me another chance. I entered another incorrect passcode and this process repeated. On the fourth time, there was a delay. My device said that I can retry the passcode in one minute. After another incorrect passcode, the delay jumped to five minutes.

I stopped after that. After five minutes, I correctly entered my passcode.

My question is . . . what are the remaining delay sequences?

After six failed attempts does it delay for 10 minutes? After seven does it go to 15 minutes? After eight . . ., well you get my drift. I'm just curious to see how Apple has implemented this feature.

Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I think it's great.. You'd have to be pretty dam bored, or just that anxious to sit there trying to crack someones code...

I guess it's a great deterrent to slow down a rogue iPhone thief, or a nosy girlfriend... :)

and in the event of it being lost, meaning someone has it altogether, so they have the time to try to crack the code regardless of the time increments, after time #10, well, everything goes bye bye... :D

should you happen to be lucky enough to get it back, then you just sync it, and like magic, everything reappears... :eek:k:eek:k

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
This is also good for MobileMe users for the find my iPhone feature. IDK how length of the delays progresses, but it would give you time to track the phone down before its wiped out, unless the thief is smart enough to restore it to factory settings in iTunes rather quickly...Then you're SOL.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Thanks all.

Another good idea for this is if your device gets into a child's hands and they sit there and try random passcodes. For example, your nephew wants to play a game on your phone and you forget to turn off the passcode lock. It then locks after some period of inactivity and your nephew/niece tries to get into the phone. If there was no delay, they could wipe-out your data in 30 seconds! :(

I'm still curious to learn if the delay pattern is published somewhere.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Has anyone used the "Erase Data" setting (Settings > General > Passcode Lock > Erase Data)?
... I stopped after that. After five minutes, I correctly entered my passcode.

My question is . . . what are the remaining delay sequences?

After six failed attempts does it delay for 10 minutes? After seven does it go to 15 minutes? After eight . . ., well you get my drift. I'm just curious to see how Apple has implemented this feature.
Someone reported it worked that way when he tried successive repetitions, lengthening every few cycles, before entering a correct code. It seems to make it frustrating enough for the average person to give up before during a Strangelove on the phone which might work for a child but nothing is really child or idiot proof. :D

YMMV

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Someone reported it worked that way when he tried successive repetitions, lengthening every few cycles, before entering a correct code. It seems to make it frustrating enough for the average person to give up before during a Strangelove on the phone which might work for a child but nothing is really child or idiot proof. :D
Maybe, right before I re-jailbreak when 3.1 is released (and if I have time to waste), I'll test this feature by entering an incorrect passcode 10 times--just for kicks. It may take an hour or more, but we'll see.

Nevertheless, if anyone here is about to JB and has some time, why not give this a try and report back to us?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You will be waiting a long time if you want to try 10 attempts (about an hour and a half). And after that you will need to sync with iTunes in order to unlock it (sync to the same iTunes it previously had synced with). And if you had erase data turned on you'll need to reload everything.

--
Mike

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
You will be waiting a long time if you want to try 10 attempts (about an hour and a half). And after that you will need to sync with iTunes in order to unlock it (sync to the same iTunes it previously had synced with). And if you had erase data turned on you'll need to reload everything.
Ah ha. That's good info, Mike. I didn't realize that after the data is erased, the phone is still no good until you sync with the same iTunes.

However, I guess a sinister person that didn't have access to the original iTunes could simply go into DFU mode on his/her own computer and restore a fresh image, yes?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Ah ha. That's good info, Mike. I didn't realize that after the data is erased, the phone is still no good until you sync with the same iTunes.

However, I guess a sinister person that didn't have access to the original iTunes could simply go into DFU mode on his/her own computer and restore a fresh image, yes?
Oh yes, someone could still use the iPhone (as a new device, starting from scratch). But the main thing is protecting your personal data. In many cases that's far more valuable than the iPhone itself.

--
Mike

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
The next one after 5 minutes is 15 minutes so im guessing the one after that could be 25/30 minutes and so on

Edit here you go

1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, and 4 hours

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Let me clear this up:

First through fifth incorrect attempts:
Nothing happens.

Sixth incorrect attempt:
1 minute delay

Seventh incorrect attempt:
5 minute delay

Eighth incorrect attempt: 15 minute delay

Ninth incorrect attempt:
60 minute delay

Tenth incorrect attempt: Kaboom! (Must use iTunes to unlock, or if erase all data was turned on you will need to restore from a backup.)

--
Mike