Erasing whole data before selling my phone

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by avin7000, Feb 19, 2012.

1. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Hi guys,

I am about to sell my iPhone 4 16GB FU. Before I want to delete all the data in it & restore it to factory. How to do that ? When I restore in iTunes all backups are added to it automatically :S

Now important thing, does the IMEI of my phone associated with my name / email ID in any way ? I think yes, while registering the newly bought iPhone. How do I remove / transfer that ?

Thank you !

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

IMEI is part of the phone, it's on the flip-side of your SIM card tray, and is not associated with you at all really, just the device itself.

To reset your device, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
    This will bring your device to factory settings.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure I remember that you jailbreak. If your phone is jailbroken, do a restore to factory settings in iTunes. Using Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings on a jailbroken phone usually ends with the phone getting stuck at the boot logo, and then you'll have to do a restore in iTunes anyway. Backups are not automaticallly selected. It will ask you if you want to use one. If it's stock, the settings method is fine.

4. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for replying guys :)

Yup, mine is jailbroken.

Guys are you sure about phone is not associated with my name / email ? Because I remember clearly, when first had bought iPhone, I registered with it Apple using my email id.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, all of your personal data will be removed when you do a factory restore.

6. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Once someone else registers it to their Apple ID, it will no longer be under your name on Apple's servers, if it even stores names.

7. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

^thank you all guys :)

Selling mine FU 16GB locally at 500USD & get 4S with extra 200 USD :)