Erica's iPhone Utils

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
I installed this app called Erica's iPhone Utils from the list in my Installer. After the installation i got a message saying "Change path to..." with an OK under it, but the phone just kind off hung and would'nt do anything. After pressing the home key a couple of times i got to the home screen but the phone was behaving a bit erratic and everytime i would click on the Installer, the same message would pop up.

I restarted the phone and then the installer app started working fine. However i am now getting all kinds of problems on my phone like hanging, a complete call still shows as in progress, call coming in from another number but showing the number i last dialled instead. What should i do?

Also this app is not showing in my Uninstall list!

Morval

Bronze
Oct 23, 2007
Buffalo,NY
sounds like somthing got corupted durring download. if your phone is behaving that bad u should probably just restore!

manishk123

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
Hmmm.. Only problem is I'm using an unlocked phone and restoring would automatically upgrade the firmware to the latest version and then it wouldn't work at all!

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
Hmmm.. Only problem is I'm using an unlocked phone and restoring would automatically upgrade the firmware to the latest version and then it wouldn't work at all!

Download the firmware that you are running then shift click the restore and select the firmware you downloaded.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You don't have to update to the latest firmware. You simply hold down the left shift key and then click restore and a window should open asking where the file that you want to restore from is. locate and select it and you should be good to go.
That being said, Make sure that even restoring to the same firmware will not "brick" the phone. you may have to "unlock" it again.
Also, just as a word of advice, if you don't know what you are installing, or what it is for, do a little research first. I didn't install Erica's utilities because I have no need for anything they do from a command line. That's not saying that Erica isn't Brilliant (as all the individuals that make programs for the iPhone are), just that there is no need for me to have something like that.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I wouldn't restore just yet, Erica's iPhone Utilities shouldn't have had that kind of effect.

For starters I would edit the path. I do this by editing this file:
/etc/profile

I edit profile (a text file) to change this line:
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin"

To this:
PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/var/root/bin"

Then restart the iPhone (turn off then back on).

The path change is needed because Erica places her stuff in /var/root/bin (so as to not take up room on the OS partition).

--
Mike