Error 14

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
I went to do the 3.0 update, and in the middle of it, it says my iPhone needed to be restored for some reason. I had NO option but to hit "restore," so I did this.

I'm now having a serious issue with the update, and I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue, and if there is any type of a known fix. The error message is:
The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14).

I've updated my iTunes, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried using a different USB cable, rebooted, etc... I have the latest version of iTunes, of course.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there any type of resolution known yet? At the moment, my phone has the little iTunes usb picture on it, and I cannot use it for anything. This is on a PC with Vista.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance,

Trevor

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i would try redownloading the firmware... it could be a bad download. Happens to big OSX updates from time to time.

go to

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

and either move the 3.0 firmware to your desktop or delete it. Then click "restore" in iTunes again. iTunes will then redownload the 3.0 software, and attempt the restore again.

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
i would try redownloading the firmware... it could be a bad download. Happens to big OSX updates from time to time.

go to

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

and either move the 3.0 firmware to your desktop or delete it. Then click "restore" in iTunes again. iTunes will then redownload the 3.0 software, and attempt the restore again.

yes, this is exactly what I am trying to do... the problem is - in my iTunes folder, I don't have an iPhone Update folder under it. Any idea where else the file may have downloaded?

Thanks for your prompt reply, it is very much appreciated!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hm. how did you download it originally?

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
Just went to update, and it downloaded... I was on a slow wifi connection, so it took a while, but it got to 100%. Perhaps I should mention, it didn't let me update right away, and I know many were having this issue. I turned my computer off, went back home, and then tried to update, and that's when this issue came about.

I really need a phone, so this is NOT good right now... =(

Any other ideas on how I could get rid of the update..? Reinstall iTunes maybe?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, i currently don't have a windows computer to check where else the file might be... pretty sure that's the right spot, though. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that...

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
yeah, it seems like it should be the right place, so that's weird...

I'm pulling out an old laptop that has XP on it, and I'm going to give it a shot there, I'm downloading the update at the moment.

I'll post the results here, but if anyone else has any solution, feel free to chime in!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had the same problem yesterday when I tried to update to 3.0.

I described the fix on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

trevorpdx

Jun 17, 2009
I had the same problem yesterday when I tried to update to 3.0.

I described the fix on this thread.
Thanks, Europa, I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why, but I didn't have an iPhone Update folder in my iTunes folder, so I couldn't even delete the corrupt file. I'm not sure why, but it just wasn't there. I wound up using another computer to download the upgrade, and it went from there. I'm back in businesss now, just syncing all my music / videos up.

Just another quick Q - I know it's doing a sync for all my files, but what about my contacts? Will it have all those in iTunes as well? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, I just remembered hearing something about contacts disappearing before.

Thanks again,

Trevor

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Were you looking in the right folder? The one that's listed above isn't the correct folder. I listed the correct location on the other thread.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Did you back up your contacts in a mobileme/Gmail/or Yahoo account (done in iTunes) before updating? If so, you just sync them back on in iTunes. If not, unfortunately, they are gone. Sorry :(

It's a good idea to back them up on day one of getting an iPhone. That way they are always there if you lose or break your phone or for after restores.

Jun 18, 2009
im getting the same message, and i haven't figured it out yet either. i tried updating yesterday around 6. and i went to Apple, they were so dead set they knew why i was there that they didn't let me explain. now it's 4 am, and im stuck with an Ibrick.

if anyone figures it out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I described how to fix the error 14 problem here.

Jun 18, 2009
i cant find the corrupt file anywhere? i actually cant find any of those folders.

jdinner

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Make sure you are not looking in the "My Documents" folder.
You need to start at "My Computer" > Documents and Settings > username > Application Data > Apple Computer > iTunes > iPhone Software Update > 3.0 update.

Jun 18, 2009
i must be an idiot, cause i cant even find doc and settings folder. i hate vista. xp was so muh easier to find stuff.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
There is no docs and settings in vista. Instead go to c:\users\username

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
I tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested! NOTHING works. I even created a new user and opened iTunes and downloaded the update again. as soon as I pulg in my iPhone it says: "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode 'and forces me to do a restore which allways! fails and I get error 14

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
I had this problem last night when I updated my wife's phone. She has a different pc (we both are using XP) to sync. So, I restored her phone on my pc and when it was completed, it actually had 3.0 on it but with none of her personal data (pictures, contacts, etc.) So, then I plugged her iPhone BACK into her pc and restored from the backup I made just before I updated to 3.0.

When it came back up, it had 3.0 along with all her personal info.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested! NOTHING works. I even created a new user and opened iTunes and downloaded the update again. as soon as I pulg in my iPhone it says: "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode 'and forces me to do a restore which allways! fails and I get error 14

Have you tried repairing your Apple Mobile Device driver from the Add/Remove program dialog?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can also try shift+restore, and then choose the firmware at the directories listed earlier in the thread. Someone earlier found that the directory that is supposed to jold the latest firmware was not present, so that may have something to do with it.