ERROR 1602 When Trying to Update

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I'm new to iTunes and I've had my iPhone for almost a month SO I apologize if this is in the wrong place OR may come off as a dumb question.

So I tried to update to 1.1.3. I thought I'd update my iTunes to 7.6 but didn't know how to do it. I went onto the top tool bar on iTunes and saw "SEARCH FOR UPDATES". It did and found 7.6. I clicked OK to update so nothing happened. So I took off iTunes completely off my computer, Windows XP, and downloaded 7.6 off of Apple.com. Everything went OK. I was able to sync my iPhone.

So I synced my iPhone and it asked me if I wanted to download and update to 1.1.3. Clicked OK and everything seemed to be ok. Towards the end of the update I get error 1602. It was late so I forget what it said with the error. I disconnected and tried again. Same thing.

I've searched for error 1602 but nothing connected to updating to 1.1.3. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I got an error message as well. I chose to download and install. It downloaded fine but near the end of the install I got an error message. So I disconnected my iPhone from USB, and rebooted it (hold HOME and Sleep simultaneously for 5 or so seconds). I replugged my iPhone in and it worked after that. Maybe this will work for you too.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I'm new to iTunes and I've had my iPhone for almost a month SO I apologize if this is in the wrong place OR may come off as a dumb question.

So I tried to update to 1.1.3. I thought I'd update my iTunes to 7.6 but didn't know how to do it. I went onto the top tool bar on iTunes and saw "SEARCH FOR UPDATES". It did and found 7.6. I clicked OK to update so nothing happened. So I took off iTunes completely off my computer, Windows XP, and downloaded 7.6 off of Apple.com. Everything went OK. I was able to sync my iPhone.

So I synced my iPhone and it asked me if I wanted to download and update to 1.1.3. Clicked OK and everything seemed to be ok. Towards the end of the update I get error 1602. It was late so I forget what it said with the error. I disconnected and tried again. Same thing.

I've searched for error 1602 but nothing connected to updating to 1.1.3. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

After you downloaded the 7.6 did you reboot the cpu after the install? If so do that. Then dock the phone and do a restore IF it does not allow you to update, I am sure it will say you are on 1.1.3 so do a restore and it will be fine, let me know.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'm at work so I'm going to try your suggestions later this evening. But I will update incase anyone else may be having the same problems.

I just really wanted to play with the new features today. DANG! You think I'd be able to update my phone at an Apple store? I was thinking of calling them and ask.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
It happened to me as well. I had installed iTunes 7.6, downloaded the 1.1.3 update with the option to install once downloaded. The problem occurred while trying to install. Rather than uninstall iTunes, I took the chance of ejecting my iPhone and re-syncing. No problem from there on.

almarlimjr

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
Just came back from my local Apple store. I was able to do the update there. Now I guess I'll have to see if I have any syncing issues with iTunes when I get home.

Didn't lose any data either. Contacts, Pics, and Music are still on my phone.

hotcalsun

Jan 20, 2008
Had to Backup, Restore, and Restore Data to get 1.1.3

The 1.1.3 upgrade cause me some issues. I got the infamous 1602 error, it led me restore to factory settings and then upgrade, and then restore my iPod settings. Fun!

http://www.somelifeblog.com/2008/01/iphone-113-update-restore-required-when.html