Error 29 When trying to Restore

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
My 3Gs which had been sitting around as a backup decided to brick. It had been jailbroken with greenPois0n and I 'think' it had 3.0 software on it. When I tried to turn it on, it went to the iTunes connect screen. I can not restore it either in iTunes connect mode or in DFU mode. Does the newer software need a CIM card to resotre a phone? I have been trying without one. It gives me an error 29. What can I try?

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Not sure what an error 29 is but are you sure you did it in DFU mode? Are you using the shift + restore to restore while in DFU mode?

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Not exactly sure if it makes a big difference or not. Hoping someone else can back me up on this. I've honestly always heard of DFU restoring taking care of all problems.

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
What system are you using? Pc or Mac. If you're on a pc then why not have a look at this post I created, when mine crashed. . It might be of some help in getting your 3gs back up and running. As for shift + Restore, that depends if you are trying to restore to custom firmware. You WILL need to use Shift+Restore if you have the ipad baseband on your phone. Hope that's helped you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkBanana

Zealot
Gold
Feb 16, 2010
Burnley, UK
not trying to restore custom firmware, just trying to get it running.
What baseband are you using? If not ipad bb then just try using ireb or ibooty to boot your phone then try restoring your firmware through iTunes. If you don't get it running at first, keep trying matey. Took me about four or five attempts before mine booted up eventually. Good Luck.

PS Try putting an official carrier sim in it. It might help...(Sometimes).

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
I don't know what baseband I had when it crashed. It was 3.0 software. I tried Ireb and then restore through iTunes and it still comes up at end and said"can-not restore error29". It goes through sequence like it is restoring (scroll bar comes up on phone and slowly fills) but kicks out at end. The phone serial number does come up in iTunes if that means anything.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Apple lists error 29 as a possible hardware failure, but this isn't a certainty. Some are still restoreable.

Here are a few things to try:

1. Reboot the computer
2. Disable your antivirus program and firewall
3. Update iTunes
4. Use a new USB cord and a different USB port
5. Delete and redownload the .ipsw (firmware file)
6. Try restoring on a different computer on a different network

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
I've tried all except #6. I recently did a restore of another 3Gs so I don't think the computer has any issues. I'll try to download software again.

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
today I tried restoring to 4.1 with TU and saved Shsh. Same error when almost finished. stumped!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It might be hardware failure then.