Error when connecting iPod car charger to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by natalie, Aug 15, 2007.

1. natalie

natalie New Member
    Bronze

So I picked up a iPod car charger because I was told this will work with the iPhone.

I plug it in and it gives me an error that says something like "This device doesn't work with the iPhone, would you like to switch to airplane mode?"

But at the same time the battery is up and the charging icon at the top is there. Also after plugged a while the phone gets warm (like phones do when charging). So do ya think it works? I haven't been able to leave it plugged long enough to see.

2. shillingem

shillingem Member
    Bronze

I have a knock off ipod charger and it works great for me. I would say that if it has the same specs as the normal ipod charger, use it!
    E

3. Quake97

Quake97 New Member
    Silver

I wouldn't be quite so ballsy as the last poster. Does the car charger you bought have the "works with iPhone" sticker on it? If not, then it hasn't been tested. Personally, with a $600 device, I'd use what's supposed to work. If you use something that's not supported and you blow out your iPhone, you're stuck.

Joe

4. natalie

natalie New Member
    Bronze

i guess ill just get one for the ipod.

to me, as far as a charger, it shouldnt matter... its a pretty simple thing. same connector and all

5. gaspyder

gaspyder New Member

I have 2 iPod car chargers - when used with the iPhone I get a message that they will not work. What gives?

6. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Some chargers, depending on the output, will not charge all devices. Only certain ones will charge certain generations of iPods,iPhones,iPads.

7. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

I've found that if I unplug the charger and then plug it back in it works.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Are you certain that it isn't indeed charging it? It may say its not going to work but probably still is slowly charging.

9. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Check the screen icon. Often the message means that data, such as audio out, will not work but charging is not impaired.

YMMV

Any impatience you show will only create more stress.