Error when DFU mode on a Mac? How to fix?

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Was a fix, or patch ever released for this? Ive been trying to jailbreak my friends iPod touch 1st gen for the longest however even tho im pro at doing the entire thing my mac keeps telling me about some Error after i do the DFU mode dance with my fingers.

After looking around i understand that there was something wrong with the macbooks having an issue detecting phones in dfu mode, but was there ever a fix?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
yah bro, it all depends if you are running 10.5.6 OS X. if you are, your won't be able to put the device into DFU mode, thus not allowing you to complete the jailbreak. there are two options.

1. download and install the 10.5.6 patch (i have not done this, i have read it works fine, some people have reported small issues with their usb ports after though). here is a link:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=2493&laid=33#commentsanchor

2. get a usb hub and connect device to your macbook via that. this will bypass the issue and you will be able to complete the jailbreak.

hope that helps

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
London, i did this and it works fine. You might (like i did...) find a problem when you plug any other USB device into the Mac. I plugged my Ipod / printer - basically any other USB device other than the iPhone and it crashes the Mac the instant its plugged in and switched on. If this happens you need to download and install the 10.5.6 IOUSB (or whatever the name is) files again from the dev site.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Omfg i have to download some patch? or go out an buy a usb hub?

I rofl at Apple's attempt to curb Jailbreaking by impeding Mac users, sigh.

Newegg.com and 12 bucks later. Ill update when i buy it.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
No London, its free, just download the patch from Apple's official site. Pm or email me if you need help!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've heard (I think it was Lincoln) that Apple didn't intentionally add that bug. I've found that the cheapest and easiest solution is to just jailbreak on a PC (until 10.5.7 is released). If you don't have one, odds are that a family member, friend or coworker does.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Jailbreaking with a PC is definatly easier, however, it is free and pretty simple if you know what your doing to jailbreak on a mac too

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The thread that I read on the kernel fix was at least 16 pages long. The first page was the fix and the rest were the problems. The fix seemed simple enough if you know how to use terminal, but I saw no reason to do it when I still have my PC and all I had to do was boot it up, which was faster than the kernel fix.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
haha Europa, i agree a pc is easier. However, i managed to download the patch, downgrade from 3.0 to jailbroke 2.2.1 and then fix the error within 30 mins...and most of that was waiting for iTunes to update iPhone etc.... its really not that hard. The kernel fix is just download 10.5.6 IOUSB (the same site you download the 10.5.5 from) and install that when your done... it is quite simple if you know what your doing. Its just annoying!

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
lol, I bought the usb hub. 2 Usb, it was 6.99, and i jailbroke my friends iPod touch as a test.

Now.... all i need is time to download pwnagetool make the custom firmware so it dosent update my baseband and i can use the 2.2.1 apps and still be unlocked... no pressure if i mess up...none at all sigh.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
London, for that price, I assume it wasn't a powered USB hub, right? So, it worked? I heard that it make not work with a regular USB hub, but wasn't ever able to verify this.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
looks like a victory to me...

Last edited by a moderator: