ETA for SummerBoard App?

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
One of the coolest aspects of jailbreaking for me was the ability to customize the look of the iPhone. Anyone know when any Summerboard-like Apps with the ability to customize wallpaper, icons, dock, etc will be available? I am surprised at how long it is taking to release what would be one of most purchased Apps out there.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Probably not for some time. Maybe in a software update in the future but I don't see it happening any time soon. But I do agree, it is pretty tight.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
From what I understand, Winterboard has replaced Summerboard. The dev for Winterboard is still adding features & should give us the same options as Summerboard in the future.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Anyone know when any Summerboard-like Apps with the ability to customize wallpaper, icons, dock, etc will be available? .
Won't ever happen. Ever is probably too strong a word, but just don't hold your breath waiting for something like this to show up in the App Store.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
dturner is right. The chances of it happening are slim =/

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Won't ever happen. Ever is probably too strong a word, but just don't hold your breath waiting for something like this to show up in the App Store.
Forgive my naivete, but why not?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Forgive my naivete, but why not?
For one thing Apple didn't give enough info in the SDK for this to happen. Because of that, IMO Apple doesn't want it to happen. Why? I don't know. I think it would be cool to be able to buy say a pack of wallpapers for the phone to put behind the screens and not just have it when you turn your phone on. How long do you see that, 2 seconds?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
something like that would have to alter files located within the iPhone's OS, which Apple has locked down for approved apps... ostensibly for security purposes.

it would also have to break the "only one app at a time" rule.

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
I see; that's too bad. Can't really blame Apple either since security is a valid concern--as opposed to a pure profit motive. Thanks.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I think it would be cool to be able to buy say a pack of wallpapers for the phone to put behind the screens and not just have it when you turn your phone on. How long do you see that, 2 seconds?
Ha, less .

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
you wont see it as an app as others mentioned
if there ever are themes they will be released by Apple in an update and thats probably not for some time
maybe when the next iPhone comes out lol

IPHONEmp

Bronze
Aug 27, 2008
Columbia, South Carolina
Hmm I Guess I could Throw My 2 Cents in. I honestly Think it Pretty Crazy not to be able to customize your iPhone more than what are Possible now. WOW I can Change a ringtone and Change a Wallpaper I see for like 3 Secs. I admit I didn’t Do my Research before Buying an iPhone and I really regret that. I enjoy that applications and The Overall features Just Really Disappointed That a feature Included on almost Every Cell Phone since The year 2000 and possibly before is not and probably will not be available on the most sophisticated phones we have to date.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
well, all I can tell you is that Winterboard works like a gem on my jailbriken 3G.

Yes, you have to jailbreak to get Winterboard, but it works even better than simmerboard ever did.

mikef1182

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Maybe Apple will release "Approved" Themes through the appstore one day. The lockeddowness (made that word up) is really the only complaint I have about the iPhone platform. Some things just don't need to be so closed like they are. Oh well..........