Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Just found this:

https://www.cellularsouth.com/cscommerce/personal/index.jsp?_requestid=267020

"Cellular South Offers to Pay Switchers' ETFs

Today, 12:47 PM by Eric M. Zeman
Cellular South introduced a limited program whereby it will provide new customers up to a $200 credit on their bills to cover any early termination fees that might be incurred if that customer leaves a contract with another carrier early. The move is meant to remove any barriers that might be preventing potential customers from switching from their current carrier to Cellular South. It did not say exactly how long the promotion will be available."

Now why doesn't larger service providers such as AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile offer deals like this? You think it would be a no-brainer! I can honestly say I'd be willing to sign even a 3 year contract with AT&T if they offered this.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's a really interesting find. I guess the large companies such as AT&T and Verizon and such aren't as hurt by the other large companies so don't really need to compete for customers as much as the smaller providers. They know that the customers will eventually switch over, so no need to spend money to get them to do so.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
Just found this:

Now why doesn't larger service providers such as AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile offer deals like this? You think it would be a no-brainer! I can honestly say I'd be willing to sign even a 3 year contract with AT&T if they offered this.
You can actually find some authorized dealers and even a few motivated corporate sales people that will do this, they can't actually give you the cash to pay your old provider but can give you equal amount in a credit on your upcoming bill or subtract it from your price on a new phone.

Example.... 2yr contract price of phone is $250-cancellation fee$175= your price$75

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Currently my Corporate Sprint rep got a $250 credit approved for me to switch over from Verizon. I have a pro-rated ETF of $90. I pay that then the credit covers the cost of my phone. So, I pay it up front, then with the everything plan and my discount I have 4 months of service free with part of the 5th free.

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
If you negotiate right with the rep, they will cover your ETF. Also if you give your current provider a solid reason why you need to switch they too may waive your ETF. I did with Sprint, I even got them to throw in 6 months of free service to "think about it" before they let me go and waived my ETF....lol