Evaluation of the Samsung Galaxy s3 and iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by copycarry, Oct 18, 2012.

1. copycarry

copycarry New Member

Both phones from phone performance, user experience evaluation on my own, S3's configuration is really powerful and so good, but the iPhone 5 ios6 want to buy one of a, but have not been able to makedecision, hoping to get some suggestions

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Get both like I did! Lol.

I like the S3 but LOVE my iPhone.

3. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Okay. Here is advice from someone who has owned every iPhone since its release and tried various Android and Win7 phones. I bought the S3 a few months back after I swore I'd never try another Android phone. To my surprise, the S3 with ICS runs great and was very stable compared to Froyo which was the last version of Android I tried. I love the fact that you can do all the thing to your S3 that would require a JailBreak in the iPhone world. The big screen was the main part of my attraction. But I have to admit, the big screen became cumbersome and too hard to use with one hand. My hands are not small either. I can wrap my fingers around the phone and touch my middle finger to my thumb just to give an example. I think anything over 4.3 is not necessary. There were some quirky things which I don't know if they were related to the S3 or ICS. For example, my Exchange email would stop working every few days. I would have to delete and re-add the account. Sometimes I went to bed with 80% battery and woke up with 10% or nothing! I just don't feel Android is as dependable as iOS. I recently purchased the iPhone 5 and absolutely love it. Upgraded from my 4S. Its "snappier" than the 4S and S3 without a doubt. Even with buggy iOS6, its still more reliable and dependable than Android. Not to mention the bazillion apps available that actually work with your device. I still have my S3 because I like to stray now and then only to come back to the iPhone. :)

4. Notafanboy

Notafanboy New Member

I'm a fan of mobile technology but not a fanboy of any brand. I have no brand loyalty and I will switch once I am convinced that a platform will fit my needs better. I've owned many platforms starting from PalmOS, WinMob, Blackberry, iOS, and Android. My last three devices were Motorola Droid, iPhone 4S, Samsung GS3.

The 4S and GS3 are both fine devices. Stability wise, I am very impressed with the improvements Android has made since the Droid days. The GS3 is very reliable, very fast, and responsive.

The thing with the GS3 is that you can do a lot of things that would require jailbreaking on iOS. And even with jailbreaking there are some things that are just not possible on iOS.

I happened to make a video for another purpose, and this video illustrates some of these capabilities. In the video I have the GS3 hooked up to an external monitor,
    It is connected to three bluetooth devices at once: a mouse, keyboard, and speaker.
    Here is what happens in the video:
    • The first game was the classic N64 Mario Kart.
    • Started editing a Word format document.
    • Switch to Chrome, with the full Crackberry site open, and a couple other "heavy" tabs.
    • Copy text from the browser to use in the Word document.
    • Save a picture from the browser and added it to the document.
    • Started a video player. Notice there are five video thumbnails playing at once.
    • Resumed watching one of the movies.
    • Started Jetpack Joyride.
    • Switch back to all of the previous apps to show that they are still running.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. PapaST

PapaST Member
    Bronze

That's an impressive video Notafanboy.

6. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

they way i see it if you have to have something done and your a true multi-tasker get the GS3 cause even tho it may look like the ip5 can do multi-taking because of the way the icons bounce and wiggle lets face it, it's not doing true multi-tasking like the GS3 but if your just ok with text, web browsing, and some youtube then get the iph5. but like so many who have owned both know their are somethings you just can't do with ios even with JB.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Freezing apps is actually very practical for most of us, and we don't have the resource and battery drain we would have had with "real multitasking," but those who want it can jailbreak for it. I haven't needed it even though I do jailbreak.

What can you do on the GS3 that you can't do on a jailbroken iPhone?

I'll start with what I'm aware of:
    1. Swype (the iOS jailbreak Swype app isn't any good)
    2. NFC

8. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I give this post a "D". Just due to grammar and not knowing where and when to end a sentence... My next invention will be a phone that does more than Auto-Correct.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The iPhone is only good for YouTube videos texting and web? wow lol great advice Rom x (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yeah, iOS's multitasking is all about "the way the icons bounce and wiggle." That was funny! I give you an "A+" for humor.

There's a reason the GS3 has 2GB of RAM and that 1.4 GHz quad-core Cortex-A9. It would probably choke without it. Let's see how the GS3 behaves with the iPhone 5 or even the 4S's RAM and CPU specs. Then get back to us...

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not quite sure the technology needed to fix that post is going to be available this decade...

12. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Well I guess if you want to watch 3 movies, play 2 games, connect multiple Bluetooth devices, edit documents and browse the web all at the same time then I would go with the GS3. Seems practical.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

And bump phones, yo!

14. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Oh snap! I forgot about that!

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

If you like bad battery life, go for Android's "true" multitasking. That is all.

16. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

if batt life is what important to you then the razor max has 3 times the batt life of the ip5.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

24 hours of usage? Hotdamn!

18. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i don't think that even with a JB iPhone you can get true multi-taking here this is true multi-tasking. BOOM.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Look at the size of the battery, though. Pretty inefficient, I'd say.

20. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I've fixed this post.

He meant to say, "Kind Sir. If Battery Life is something that is important to you. I would like to suggest that you look at the Droid Max. They say it's much greater than any iPhone. "