Evasi0n Jailbreak error

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by richardya, Mar 24, 2013.

1. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I got a replacement phone (5) and I am having major issues.

The first thing I did when I got the phone was to JB the phone. In order to start an iCloud restore, I needed to be in the setup screen. So i clicked [erase all data and settings.] That is the only way to get into the set up screen. First I thought the phone was kaput. Every time I turned it on, the phone displayed the screen where, the progress bar and Apple icon are over a black background onscreen. The device got stuck 75% of the way through.

After numerous restarts it finally did restart.
    I have noticed before that when the phone is JB'en, the JB prevents you from erasing or resetting your phone. I think this is a weakness in this JB.

I then had the Cydia icon but it immediately closed when I pressed it. I figured I would re-jailbreak but you cant rejailbreak an already JB'en phone with evasi0n. I tried anyway and got two error messages. At first it said the device is already JB'en. It recommended I do not JB again.

I did

Then I got a real error and it said "Your device appears to be using a semi-tether JB. Please use the evasi0n untether package from cydia to untether instead"

Anyone have a solution? This phone is running 6.0.2. My first post was much ruder and angrier but I regained my composure and edited it.

2. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

3. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Phone is so screwed up, I did a restore from an old version. The versions you see in iTunes when you hold down the shift-key and now I have the Cydia icon not working and the jailbreak icon that is supposed to disappear after Cydia appears.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

First off, you should never use "erase all content and settings" on a jailbroken phone. Jailbreaking stops this feature from working. If attempted, it generally results in getting stuck at the boot logo. A restore will fix it, but you'll be forced to restore to 6.1.3, which isn't jailbreakable. That being said, jailbreaking does NOT prevent you from erasing the phone; you just have to use iTunes to do it rather than the feature in the Settings app.

Did you restore in iTunes today or was it last week? If you successfuly restored the firmware today, it would be running 6.1.3 and non-jailbreakable now. Did the restore fail or did you just restore the backup and not the firmware? Is it still on 6.0.2?

Unfortunately, you might end up having to restore 6.1.3 now. What you should have done is set it up as a new device and then jailbroken it. It's not worth trying to apply a backup at this point in the game, IMO. I'm being very cautious and avoiding features that might force a restore.

5. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I think the error was mine, I used my old evasion which was for 6.1 and this phone is 6.0.2

VVIs this true VV

There is currently no jailbreak solution for the iPhone 5 on iOS 6.0.2
    However, we update daily.

6. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I never let iTunes download 6.1.3. I did a data restore not a firmware restore. I don't know how to explain that but that is the result.
    I am still running 6.0.2

I sort of force quit each time it got stuck and it sort of worked, meaning the phone was wiped and I was still on 6.0.2.
    I think the issue is I ran the 6.1 evasi0n on a 6.0.2 phone. I forgot it its different programs for different versions. For some reason i thought i read that the JB worked on 6.0-6.2 and I still had it on my computer.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

6.0.2 *is* jailbreakable with all of the versions of evasi0n, but you might have to restore and rejailbreak to get Cydia working. And therein lies the problem - you can't restore to anything but 6.1.3, which isn't jailbreakable.

What happens when you do a hard reset?

8. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Hard reset does a regular hard reset now.
    The phone works fine but the jailbreak doesn't work. I press Chadian and it closes. I also still have the "jailbreak icon" that was supposed to have disappeared.

I don't know if it means anything. But...when I run evasi0n again, I get the message that "your device seems to be running a semi-tether JB.

If I am stuck with stock iPhone I will return it. 6.3.1 will not be jailbreakable.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

6.1.3? Yeah, the next jailbreak will probably be for iOS 7. Everyone who has an iPhone 4S or newer is in a precarious situation right now with their jailbreaks. Chasing jailbreaks is beginning to get tiring. I'm getting a $50 AppleCare+ replacement tomorrow, so I have my fingers crossed.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Return it or exchange it? I don't think they'll exchange it if it doesn't have a hardware problem.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm really annoyed with Apple right now. We have no choice but to intentionally break our phones and try for a pre-6.1.3 version AppleCare+ replacement. They intentionally disabled the SHSHs, forcing us to restore to 6.1.3 if we have to restore, so I wouldn't feel badly about doing this.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

"A million agrees are not enough for Europa!"

jessica.gif

13. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I don't know whats up, I am running a version that should be breakable. I have a screwed up JB on my device.
    I paid a decent amount of money for my JB apps and the JB is not running properly.

I wish I knew of a way I could fry the inside of the phone and exchange it. If i bring the phone in with Cydia on it, they will not exchange it. I could upgrade to 6.1.3 and fry it. Anyone want to PM me on a way to intentionally break the phone.

Jailbreaking devices is not feasible anymore. They release them so infrequently and if a device breaks or something happens you are out of luck. I think Apple is winning this fight and cutting off their nose to spite their face. I understand closing security holes but not allowing a SHSH backup is wrong. This serves no purpose. To date, there have been no security breaches on iPhone users who JB that I am aware. They don't lose money on users who JB and then complain/return the phone if the JB doesn't work, because upgrading always fixes the issue and Apple is not out money.

I just feel like I should be able to JB the phone as long as I am running a 6.0.2.

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I just got an iPhone 5 from Apple running iOS 6.0 (ack!). I ran the latest version of evasi0n with no problem. I think your problem began with erasing all data and settings. Evasi0n disables that for good reason, unfortunately.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think evasi0n disables "erase all content and settings." It would be a good idea, though. It usually results in getting stuck at the boot logo if done on a jailbroken device and a lot of people try it since they aren't aware of that.

I agree that his jailbreak not working is likely a result of attempting to use that feature or from trying to apply the backup.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

ResetAllKiller in Cydia will disable the dangerous "Reset All Settings" and "Erase All Content and Settings" in the Reset options under Settings>General.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

'Reset all Settings' is fine to use. I've used that countless times on jailbroken phones. Too bad they didn't just disable the 'Erase all Content and Settings' feature with that tweak.

18. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Considering there is no warning I blame the devs not myself or Apple.
    I will update to 6.1.3. In another year they will probably release a new JB.

I still can't figure out how I am running a breakable version of IOS and there is simply no support. Every app I paid for via cydia is money in the toilet. Donating to the devs is not recommended.