evasi0n updated for 6.1.1 4S iOS

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Devs amnounced evasi0n JB will work for the 4S iOS 6.1.1 update (to address 3G service issues with some carriers) released Monday and will be pushing an update.
Still not seeing the evasi0n update in Cydia ATM.....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Some people here love to debate this point, but evad3rs themselves do not recommend OTA updates for people who jailbreak. Instead, do a full update in iTunes. OTA updating is typically disabled on jailbroken phones, so you have no choice if you are already jailbroken.

Also, be sure to save your SHSH with TinyUmbrella. 6.2 will likely break the jailbreak, so this will be important to have down the road.

image.jpg

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Some people here love to debate this point, but evad3rs themselves do not recommend OTA updates for people who jailbreak. Instead, do a full update in iTunes. OTA updating is typically disabled on jailbroken phones, so you have no choice if you are already jailbroken.

Also, be sure to save your SHSH with TinyUmbrella. 6.2 will likely break the jailbreak, so this will be important to have down the road.

View attachment 28075
Save your breath. The evad3rs team doesn't know what they're talking about. /s

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
Sage advice, as always Mindi!

Did save blobs via TU yesterday since I had not seen them in Cydia yet.
With the warning in thefirmwareumbrella's page and the fact Cydia was so overloaded, was beginning to wonder if they would ever populate there....

Saw this about 7 hours later:

abydudyb.jpg

Looks like they finally populated there as well.
Now my blob backup has backup :D

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Some people have no choice but to do OTA updates. Just saying.
Jailbreaking disables OTA updates and breaks the "Erase all content and settings" feature. A computer is a requirement for running the jailbreak and for restoring and/or updating afterwards. If you are not going to have access to a computer for these things, you should not jailbreak. OTA updates are perfectly fine those who don't jailbreak.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Jailbreaking disables OTA updates and breaks the "Erase all content and settings" feature. A computer is a requirement for running the jailbreak and for restoring and/or updating afterwards. If you are not going to have access to a computer for these things, you should not jailbreak. OTA updates are perfectly fine those who don't jailbreak.
Guess that's a matter of opinion. I doubt many would wanna do an update right after a jailbreak anyway so OTA updates etc are a moot issue. I did an OTA update to 6.1.1 before it was said it could be an issue. It wasn't. The 6.2 update only becomes an issue if you purposely update to it or you have some unforeseen catastrophic event in which you would have to do a restore. A lot of what ifs & chances to take.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Guess that's a matter of opinion. I doubt many would wanna do an update right after a jailbreak anyway so OTA updates etc are a moot issue. I did an OTA update to 6.1.1 before it was said it could be an issue. It wasn't. The 6.2 update only becomes an issue if you purposely update to it or you have some unforeseen catastrophic event in which you would have to do a restore. A lot of what ifs & chances to take.
The people who made the jailbreak tweeted "do not do an OTA update" and you're still gonna debate me on this? Yeesh.

I've already explained the future value of the full-version .ipsw SHSHs to you so I'm not going to do into too much detail, but Apple typically patches the exploits in their next big firmware update. It's foolish to count on the fact that you may never need to restore to 6.1.1 (when it's no longer the current firmware) when it only takes ten minutes right now to ensure that you will alway be able to.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The people who made the jailbreak tweeted "do not do an OTA update" and you're still gonna debate me on this? Yeesh.

I've already explained the future value of the full-version .ipsw SHSHs to you so I'm not going to do into too much detail, but Apple typically patches the exploits in their next big firmware update. It's foolish to count on the fact that you may never need to restore to 6.1.1 (when it's no longer the current firmware) when it only takes ten minutes right now to ensure that you will alway be able to.
Told ya. People obviously don't own computers. Hilarious. "I must update now!" :D

But I guess it's their choice. Meh.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Sage advice, as always Mindi!

Did save blobs via TU yesterday since I had not seen them in Cydia yet.
With the warning in thefirmwareumbrella's page and the fact Cydia was so overloaded, was beginning to wonder if they would ever populate there....

Saw this about 7 hours later:

abydudyb.jpg

Looks like they finally populated there as well.
Now my blob backup has backup :D
How come I still don't have SHSH blobs showing? Maybe why I can't save my SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella? Although, I did save them using iSHSH it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How come I still don't have SHSH blobs showing? Maybe why I can't save my SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella? Although, I did save them using iSHSH it.
1. Most of us don't. It's going to take a while. Cydia is a bit overwhelmed right now. As Napoleon said, you'll want to back it up locally.
2. No. That's unrelated. I posted a link in the other thread where you asked this question.