Every iPhone user's worst nightmare. HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hello, fellow iPhone enthusiasts!

Last night, I ran into a rather nightmarish situation. My beloved iPhone 3G S decides it is time to go on the aggressive with me via unexplained reboots every three minutes or so. The reasons for this were beyond my comprehension, as I've give this iPhone nothing but love.

With your permission, I'll be providing as much detail as possible in this post, and, in all likelihood, some of these details probably have absolutely no bearing on these events...

My iPhone was well below 100% charge at the time of the start of the soon-to-be catastrophic events. It was situated rather close to my MBP.

Suddenly, I notice that it reboots on its own. Initially, I don't panic. Then I notice that this is happening repeatedly. I unplug the iPhone from the aforementioned cable. The behavior continues, much to my dismay. Oh and yes, I suffer from OCD (bigtime). Is this contagious (LOL!)? :D

Eventually, I plug the iPhone into my desktop (I figure, perhaps iTunes will come to the rescue!). Yeah, right. EPIC FAIL. I let the iPhone sleep on it, OFF (although I normally don't believe in this practice. I believe that if electronics are misbehaving, I don't see how a timeout will help, unless they've gone for a swim, for obvious reasons). This morning, I tried a restore, with and without DFU mode. EPIC FAIL again. Interestingly, when I try to go into DFU mode, the phone does its little reboot behavior instantly, not even waiting the three minutes. It's obviously fighting me.

Now, I come to the conclusion that I'm up a particular creek without a paddle. I could downgrade to my original iPhone (yet another downgrade for me, as I already downgraded not too long ago to this 3G S after the loss of my iPhone 4).

Please hit me with an ideas.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you haven't been able to begin the restore process, correct? Does iTunes recognize it? What happens when you try a regular restore (non-DFU)? Is it unlocked or jailbroken?

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Not unlocked, not JB. I went to my local AT&T store today and they seem to be willing to give me a 4 S even though I'm not due for one yet. My ID card was lost at the time so it didn't happen today, but it has since been found. Guess I'm waiting to Monday to see what happens!

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Right now, I am the proud new owner of...

...a printed receipt for the purchase of my iPhone 4 S!

AT&T sold it to me just now (I wasn't due for a handset upgrade until February 25th) after I explained my predicament. The actual phone, however, wasn't in stock, so it should be at my house within 5 days!

It's amazing how just having the receipt in my hands has made my day. Yes, I am an iPhone whack-job.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)