Everyone! Sign this PETITION so AT&T will provide better pricing!

macc55

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
Last edited by a moderator:

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have an account but I'm not going to give my sign on info to someone I don't know. Sorry. Not very safe.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have an account, but i disagree with the petition. sorry.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
The petition doesn't make sense. Who cares if you are new customers, AT&T STILL hasn't recovered their losses from the subsidy they gave you on the last phone. They have every right to charge you more.

Charging $200 more because you are only one year done with your contract is unfair, however. I think the pricing should be $299/$399 if you've had your 3G since iDay2, which is only $100 more. Still don't agree with the petition though, it needs better wording.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah no thanks. It's justified in my opinion, and the next iPhone will be fully subsidized for us if we choose to buy it so I'm good.

zeluiz22

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
These people are robots. That's worse than fanboys. Stockholm syndrome. Who on earth would "agree" to pay more money for something, given the choice? I am signing.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
AT&T IS in fact running a businesss remember. When they take a $200 hit knowing that you will slowly pay them back over the next 2 years, but then after only ONE year you are trying to get ANOTHER subsidized phone, they lost a whole year of payments from you on that first subsidized phone. They have every right to charge current customers more than the new customers. I am NOT an AT&T fan boy at all by the way.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
These people are robots. That's worse than fanboys. Stockholm syndrome. Who on earth would "agree" to pay more money for something, given the choice? I am signing.
hmm... accept a valid businesss charge, or throw a hissy-fit until i get what i want...?

yes, i'll pay more given the choice. like an adult.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I lol'd :)

I signed the petition but I highly doubt it will do anything.

hydro94530

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
hmm... accept a valid businesss charge, or throw a hissy-fit until i get what i want...?

yes, i'll pay more given the choice. like an adult.
Agreed. And $499 is much better than $699.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
AT&T IS in fact running a businesss remember. When they take a $200 hit knowing that you will slowly pay them back over the next 2 years, but then after only ONE year you are trying to get ANOTHER subsidized phone, they lost a whole year of payments from you on that first subsidized phone. They have every right to charge current customers more than the new customers. I am NOT an AT&T fan boy at all by the way.
I really question whether the subsidy program inflicts any pain on the carriers. It's all about ARPU. Carriers are making money hand over fist with data charges, minutes, text messaging.

The two year contract model is nothing short of a monopolistic remnant from the old Ma Bell years. What ever happened to freedom of choice both in terms of devices and carriers? I still remember the crappy phones the old AT&T used to impose on households.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I don't want other people to have iPhones. I like it when people say "man that's cool, I wish I could afford one/my wife would let me buy one/[fill in the blank]". I wish they were like $1200.

Mikozee

Bronze
Dec 12, 2007
I don't want other people to have iPhones. I like it when people say "man that's cool, I wish I could afford one/my wife would let me buy one/[fill in the blank]". I wish they were like $1200.
While I don't agree with the statement, I did find myself enjoying the phone more when it essentially made you a member of an exclusive club.

Good thing I had to switch to Verizon last year. At least I can get the subsidized price regardless of the petition.

ryanb

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
it's like no one remembers paying a subsidized price for their phone....

it's embarrassing that so many people have signed this

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I expect to pay a premium on a brand new product introduced, especially from Apple.

If you aren't willing to pay the premium for the premium phone offering, why not just wait until you are eligible for the upgrade when the CONTRACT you signed ends its term?

It's not a life support device, so I think everyone that doesn't get a 3Gs right away, will be OK.

Besides that...
a petition will not do squat. You know what will, though? The market. The market will decide what AT&T does to entice people to buy the 3Gs. If AT&T doesn't sell anywhere near their projected amount of phones to new and current customers, sure, they'll drop the price. But they will look at numbers of phones sold, not numbers of signatures on some petition.

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
Sorry, but no. Carriers are SUPPOSED to make money. That's why it's called Capitalism. If you really believe the AT&T is making money 'hand over fist' then you should buy some stock & become an owner in the company. Then, you'll be one of those people making money hand over fist.

I'm not an AT&T fanboy, but I agree with others that they have every right to hold you to the terms of the contract if that's what you signed for. If you want to buy out of that contract, you can but there will be a cost to do so.

The complaints bug the heck out of me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I really question whether the subsidy program inflicts any pain on the carriers. It's all about ARPU. Carriers are making money hand over fist with data charges, minutes, text messaging.

The two year contract model is nothing short of a monopolistic remnant from the old Ma Bell years. What ever happened to freedom of choice both in terms of devices and carriers? I still remember the crappy phones the old AT&T used to impose on households.
Apple gets at least $325 per iPhone from ATT, and i don't think that even includes the initial cost of the phones. ATT sells them for at least $199. That's roughly $125 per iPhone they lose... and they have to have sold at least a few million iPhone 3Gs... adds up quick.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Apple gets at least $325 per iPhone from ATT, and i don't think that even includes the initial cost of the phones. ATT sells them for at least $199. That's roughly $125 per iPhone they lose... and they have to have sold at least a few million iPhone 3Gs... adds up quick.
AT&T may lose $125/device, but that is a one time cost. Over the life of a contract (24 mos), AT&T is earning about 24*(30data+40voice), or about $1600 per user. Text messaging costs alone will break the iPhone cost even.