Everyones experience with battery life?

How much battery time do you get?

• Total voters
May 27, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I got my iPhone 2 months ago (April 08)and the battery life is horrible. I get no more than 5 hours and 35 minutes, tops before it turns itself off.

I use edge for browsing as I don't have wifi at home and most networks are secure these days. Generally speaking I use under 200 minutes of talk time a week, play music not more than an hour a day, but do use the browser constantly. I manually get my mail, and I do use sms for maybe 20 messages a day.

Can I ask the forums experience with battery life, and if my results are normal? Would the use of edge versus wifi have any effect on this?

Many thanks everyone!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If my iPhone sits like a brick (unused), I can get much more than 6 hours. ;)

Listening to music (audiobooks), I can get more than 6 hours, especially if I leave the device in airplane mode, and turn off the screen after it starts playing.

Active surfing the internet, sending photos via email, checking email in general, are all battery draining activities. If I check my iPhone 2x hour while checking my Travian.com account, I can be sure my battery will be gone in about 4 hours.

Watching a 2 hour video with default brightness settings will also consume my battery.

Bottom line, if you are going to use your iPhone for intensive applications or uses, get a portable battery (e.g., JBox or Juice).

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
This is all normal for a phone with a big screen and like you said, constant use of the browser....<-----this is the main reason.

Ive owned the blackberry pearl, dash and Shadow (all PDA style phones) and all had low battery life for me because I am a heavy internet user. I think the iPhone isn't as bad though because of the larger screen and its brighter, yet still get about the same as my other phones.

May 27, 2008
thanks Larry!

Thanks Larry...I had no idea the browser would take so much juice...I think Apple is quoting a lot of hours?

Do you think using edge versus wi fi has any effect?

Cheers!

If my iPhone sits like a brick (unused), I can get much more than 6 hours. ;)

Listening to music (audiobooks), I can get more than 6 hours, especially if I leave the device in airplane mode, and turn off the screen after it starts playing.

Active surfing the internet, sending photos via email, checking email in general, are all battery draining activities. If I check my iPhone 2x hour while checking my Travian.com account, I can be sure my battery will be gone in about 4 hours.

Watching a 2 hour video with default brightness settings will also consume my battery.

Bottom line, if you are going to use your iPhone for intensive applications or uses, get a portable battery (e.g., JBox or Juice).

May 27, 2008
thanks Chazm!

Of all of the phones you used, which gives the longest life if you browse? I have often thought of a Blackberry of some type...does it get much better life? Does it have the kind of really good web browser experience or is it more primitive?

Cheers!

This is all normal for a phone with a big screen and like you said, constant use of the browser....<-----this is the main reason.

Ive owned the blackberry pearl, dash and Shadow (all PDA style phones) and all had low battery life for me because I am a heavy internet user. I think the iPhone isn't as bad though because of the larger screen and its brighter, yet still get about the same as my other phones.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I get about 2 days usage before I need to recharge.

Hi Everyone,

I got my iPhone 2 months ago (April 08)and the battery life is horrible. I get no more than 5 hours and 35 minutes, tops before it turns itself off.

I use edge for browsing as I don't have wifi at home and most networks are secure these days. Generally speaking I use under 200 minutes of talk time a week, play music not more than an hour a day, but do use the browser constantly. I manually get my mail, and I do use sms for maybe 20 messages a day.

Can I ask the forums experience with battery life, and if my results are normal? Would the use of edge versus wifi have any effect on this?

Many thanks everyone!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Thanks Larry...I had no idea the browser would take so much juice...I think Apple is quoting a lot of hours?

Do you think using edge versus wi fi has any effect?

Cheers!
I would think that EDGE would tend to consume more power given the longer download times. Some websites load slowly even with WiFi. Thus, the conclusions are mixed. A simple test you can do is to observe the amount of time the spinning wheel turns when you are actively using the radio (WiFi or EDGE). In general, long spinning times mean the radio is blazing with little or no result. If that happens, kill the application by stopping the web page load, or hold the Home button until the app closes.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
turn the brightness down to pretty much zero... ull get used to it and it gives at least 2-3 extra hours with high browsing etc. also when not in wifi..turn it off.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Of all of the phones you used, which gives the longest life if you browse? I have often thought of a Blackberry of some type...does it get much better life? Does it have the kind of really good web browser experience or is it more primitive?

Cheers!

Its hard to say, I would definitely say my dash was the least conservative. I'd really have to say the Pearl gives the best battery consumption I guess, but probably very close to the iPHone and given the iPhone has a bigger brighter screen, I would give the nod to the iPhone.

Also, do what gotpancakes said. Turn down the brightness, I did that and it helpls

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
WiFi consumes much less power then EDGE does, not because WiFi is faster, but because the signal strength is much much much less. Look it up if need be.

Biggest battery hog is the screen. If you can get that to as low as you can be comfortable with, this will help you a lot. Browsing is one of the biggest, if not the biggest application hog (besides 3rd party apps) so not much you can do their.

5 and half hours seems about right for usage time. If you mean 5 and a half total hours including standby then, yes, you have a problem. I can't believe that you have five and a half hours a day to play on your phone.....you need something to do :p

May 27, 2008
thanks adseguy

Thanks for your info...I will try to get wifi instead of edge. As for the screen...I love that pretty bright screen! LOL! I hear there are some batteries that are about the same size, and clip on to the phone itself...maybe that is the route to go?

WiFi consumes much less power then EDGE does, not because WiFi is faster, but because the signal strength is much much much less. Look it up if need be.

Biggest battery hog is the screen. If you can get that to as low as you can be comfortable with, this will help you a lot. Browsing is one of the biggest, if not the biggest application hog (besides 3rd party apps) so not much you can do their.

5 and half hours seems about right for usage time. If you mean 5 and a half total hours including standby then, yes, you have a problem. I can't believe that you have five and a half hours a day to play on your phone.....you need something to do :p

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My battery lasts all day during a normal work day. I check my email on edge while my husband drives us to work, or check on EIC. The iPhone sits on my desk at work, with wifi on, but I do not use it at work except to occasionally talk or check my calendar.

I run out of battery FAST if we are taking a long car trip and I am surfing web on EDGE, or watching movies. That made my trips boring. :( I will need to get reserve battery power for this summer.

My battery power is excellent however I rarely have wi-fi turned on and another thing I do to save battery life is keep the brightness turned way down. The only time I turn my brightness up is to see better outside or to show photos to friends and family.

On top of that I sync up just about everyday as I'm a big podcast listener and so it gets recharged a little bit each time during that process.

I normally only need to do a full recharge every week to week and a half.

May 27, 2008
Ahhhh, battery life. My experience has so far been positive. I did have to modify my settings. Such as screen brightness and wifi. Also if you turn off the auto brightness it'll help with battery life.

May 27, 2008
thanks caymindiver!

I've changed my phone settings-thank you so much for the suggestions..though I can barely read my phone now :(

Ahhhh, battery life. My experience has so far been positive. I did have to modify my settings. Such as screen brightness and wifi. Also if you turn off the auto brightness it'll help with battery life.

May 27, 2008
wow!

that has to be a world record! Are you using the standard charger?

Thanks!

My battery power is excellent however I rarely have wi-fi turned on and another thing I do to save battery life is keep the brightness turned way down. The only time I turn my brightness up is to see better outside or to show photos to friends and family.

On top of that I sync up just about everyday as I'm a big podcast listener and so it gets recharged a little bit each time during that process.

I normally only need to do a full recharge every week to week and a half.

May 27, 2008
Well it's a trade off. I leave my "auto brightness" on so in daylight it's easier to read. Had to laugh when you wrote that though. Hey, who knows maybe Apple will bring out a stronger battery with the new phone.

that has to be a world record! Are you using the standard charger?

Thanks!
Mainly my USB sync cable or my FM Belkin Transmiter charger thing in the card. Of course I don't do a whole lot of phone calling or web surfing. Most of my web stuff is checking twitter updates via Hahlo, checking in on Digg and the occasional Google or Wikipedia search.

cosmo420

Jan 26, 2008
also when you are done with the broser do you hold down the home button? if not I come to find out that the browser stays on thus consuming the batt. also I do a home/off push button at the same time after a charge like once a month. I too listen to my music for about an hour check my email like 4 or 5 times a day, play a game of hangman wile on the toilet and of course text and talk for about an hour a day, I only have to charge mine every 2 days, but I never let it go below 20 percent.

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Battery Life is one of the least problems I have with the iPhone. It actually works very well for me. Sometimes i go 1 1/2 days without charging and still got some energy on it. Wifi is off, so is bluetooth and i just mainly use all of its features quite a lot especially web browsing.