Everything is perfect, except...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 29, 2007
Hey, I've had the iPhone since it came out (like I'm sure most people here have).. and I love this thing. I have had no problems at all with it... except for today. I received a call from a couple of people, pick up, and place the phone to my ear but don't hear anything. I put it on speaker, and then voila... sound. Another thing, when I place the phone to my face while talking, not only can I not hear anything but the phone won't shut off the screen to preserve battery. I tried a restore on iTunes and I still have the same problem. Has anybody here had this same issue? If so, what's the best course of action? Return for a new one or "repair" at the Apple store? :(

P.S. I'm a bit on the paranoid side, so if lets say I take it to the store for a return/repair.. Do I have to delete all the songs I acquired outside of iTunes?

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I would try the power down/reset of the iPhone. Hold home button and top button for a few seconds and then slide the reset button. Then use the top button to turn back on - an Apple will appear and then take a few secs. to boot up. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2007
I received a call from a couple of people, pick up, and place the phone to my ear but don't hear anything. I put it on speaker, and then voila... sound.
Do you use a bluetooth headset sometimes?

I found that sometimes, after turning off my headset and then turning off bluetooth on the phone, the phone stays/gets stuck in whatever monitor output mode you picked last. In other words, they can hear you but you can’t hear them. (guess the phone “forgets” that its bluetooth switch is off).

The only way to bring up the output menu again is to reconnect the headset, turn on bluetooth AND make a phone call... then select iPhone from the “audio source” menu. Happened to me twice so far... kind of a pain, I think it’s a small bug.

Thatguy

Jul 20, 2007
P.S. I'm a bit on the paranoid side, so if lets say I take it to the store for a return/repair.. Do I have to delete all the songs I acquired outside of iTunes?
Well that depends on what you mean by "outside if iTunes" If you mean songs that you ripped from CDs you own, that should be fine. But if you mean songs that were illegally downloaded from a file sharing (read:stealing) service, I sure hope you lose all the songs. I find The idea of people buying a $600 phone, then filling it with stolen music rather revolting.

Jun 29, 2007
Do you use a bluetooth headset sometimes?

I found that sometimes, after turning off my headset and then turning off bluetooth on the phone, the phone stays/gets stuck in whatever monitor output mode you picked last. In other words, they can hear you but you can’t hear them. (guess the phone “forgets” that its bluetooth switch is off).

The only way to bring up the output menu again is to reconnect the headset, turn on bluetooth AND make a phone call... then select iPhone from the “audio source” menu. Happened to me twice so far... kind of a pain, I think it’s a small bug.
I tried that and a hard reset and still nothing. I have no idea how this happened since I have only dropped the phone once (on a carpet, at that) the entire month I've had it.

Jun 29, 2007
ok, this is just weird... I was listening to music with my headset, then decided to try a call without it one last time and guess what? It now works all of a sudden. My friend told me the same thing happened to him before and he fixed it by plugging in the stock headphones, listening to a song, then taking the headphones off and making a call. I seemed to do the same thing by accident. And now, to cancel that Apple appointment...