everythingiCafe App

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Well, the title says it all! Why not have an everythingiCafe app, just for the forums on the iPhone - I know I would get it.

Dec 8, 2008
N
Those are more serious blog sites... Boy Genius Report got one. I really wish Engadget would get it too...

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Yeah, I'm new to the site (I joined on the 18th - AUS, 17th US) and I really love it. The support here is great, and so are the people. I had a question yesterday and I was so surprised I got an answer so quickly! I'm out a lot of the time with my phone and just want to have a glimpse at the forums but I have to use Safari, which is good but kinda hard and takes a long time to load on 3G.

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
such an app for what? everything on everythingicafe? i just subscribed those interesting feeds on my google reader. want more?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Personally, I don't think that any of these blog/forums need a native app. I do understand the arguments for the app like less crashing than safari, but apps can crash too. This site has 3 different settings for veiwing on the iPhone and I don't see how a native app will make that better.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me and I'm not knocking the OP's idea, just giving my 0.02

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
This site has 3 different settings for veiwing on the iPhone
It does? I didn't even know that lol. As I said, I'm new to the website so could you tell me how? I'm trying to find out how right now.

Never mind, I got it :)

H

Hayesimus

I actually started a thread on this quite a while back and didn't get much of a response. I'd prefer a native app because I'm heavily active on this forum and I would like to be able to just tap the icon and go straight to my user control panel. When ever I tap on safari it might take me to my last spot on eic or it might not... I thought of creating one of those webclips but... no thanks... they always seem to open a new page when i use those...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I think we'd see some use out of an app. The purpose for having would be the same as Face book having one, a service also accessible through Safari - to provide a less-confusing, iphone-standard interface.

Things is, I don't think we have too many developers on the site, let alone ones that have paid to join Apple's development community. My only real coding experiences are with these, so I don't think I could go as far to write an app just yet. I and I know there are others here, might be able to take stab at the UI.

Last edited by a moderator:

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
A eic app would be like a craigslist app. Whats the point the websites are better than the apps would be. Like the craigslist app ist 99cents (i think) why would you pay for that app? Craigslist web page loads super fast on the iPhone as does eic. I wouldn't get the craigslist app nor would i get the eic app if one was made the webpages are perfect for the iPhone.

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
the folks at modmyi put out a really nice webapp for the iPhone.

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
I actually started a thread on this quite a while back and didn't get much of a response. I'd prefer a native app because I'm heavily active on this forum and I would like to be able to just tap the icon and go straight to my user control panel. When ever I tap on safari it might take me to my last spot on eic or it might not... I thought of creating one of those webclips but... no thanks... they always seem to open a new page when i use those...
I also started a thread about one, but nobody really cared. An app like Facebook or Myspace would be great.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
A eic app would be like a craigslist app. Whats the point the websites are better than the apps would be. Like the craigslist app ist 99cents (i think) why would you pay for that app? Craigslist web page loads super fast on the iPhone as does eic. I wouldn't get the craigslist app nor would i get the eic app if one was made the webpages are perfect for the iPhone.
I would not pay for it, I would asune they would be free.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It would be nice to see EIC as a kind of "facebook" interface.. For now I'm using the Light version of EIC - it's fine for read, but not for edit on your postings. When using the normal view on Safari, you have to scroll around, zooming in etc.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
It would be nice to see EIC as a kind of "facebook" interface.. For now I'm using the Light version of EIC - it's fine for read, but not for edit on your postings. When using the normal view on Safari, you have to scroll around, zooming in etc.
Have you used the enhanced version? It's the desktop version optimized for the iPhone.

H

Hayesimus

Chris, do we have anyone capable of developing an app? Or could someone outside of this site provide the service?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris, do we have anyone capable of developing an app? Or could someone outside of this site provide the service?
I'm sure quite a few developers visit the site, but I'm not aware of anyone specifically who could develop such an app. I'm certainly open to the idea.

H

Hayesimus

I for real am going to investigate. I'd totally pay for an app. As long as it was as sophisticated and smooth as the facebook app and the like. Who's with me?

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
I for real am going to investigate. I'd totally pay for an app. As long as it was as sophisticated and smooth as the facebook app and the like. Who's with me?
I'm with you Hayes, though I hope it won't be that expensive.