Excellent New App - Death Cab for Cutie

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I wasn't a fan of this band (before tonight), but this app is superb. Great promo tool, and great all-round app, and it's free.

dtfc6.jpg

I also posted on this at my site, with quite a few more screencaps - this one is really worth a look ...

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
This is one of those bands I hear are great, but I refuse to listen to due to prior personal experiences... the only people that have told me they're good are *******s... Present company excluded, of course.

Petty, I know.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Smart idea. Wish a band that I liked did it. :)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Before last night, I'd heard their name, but never knowingly heard a song of theirs.

I think the app is so well done that every band that has the means should do one ....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Surprised you guys:
a. Do not know Death Cab
b. Do not like Death Cab

I enjoy them a whole lot. No interest in the app though. For me, it's duplication. I own all the songs and I'd just assume check out their site if I'm interested in tour dates.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Surprised you guys:
a. Do not know Death Cab
b. Do not like Death Cab

I enjoy them a whole lot. No interest in the app though. For me, it's duplication. I own all the songs and I'd just assume check out their site if I'm interested in tour dates.
I think even if this was done for a favorite band of mine, I would admire just how extremely well executed the app is. And for someone (like me) who knew next to nothing about the band, it works great as a promo tool ...

KRAPPS

Bronze
Nov 10, 2008
KRAPPS.com
Love Death Cab ... I wonder if The Postal Service app is next (if you love Death Cab and never heard of The Postal Service, jump on it ... pretty much an extension of Death Cab).

I do think it's great to see various businessses leveraging the iPhone for useful end-user marketing purposes ... I'm still amazed there is no official Disney Parks app, it's ano-brainer.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I do think it's great to see various businessses leveraging the iPhone for useful end-user marketing purposes ... I'm still amazed there is no official Disney Parks app, it's ano-brainer.
Yeah, this one (a band, music) is just such a natural fit - I'll be amazed if more bands don't jump on this (and hopefully hire the guys who did this one).

I think there are a ton of companies that are missing out - there was a great Friendfeed convo about that recently ...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think even if this was done for a favorite band of mine, I would admire just how extremely well executed the app is. And for someone (like me) who knew next to nothing about the band, it works great as a promo tool ...
I think it's a great marketing tool. Gives people the opportunity to discover new music. If you end up loving the band, you'd probably download a few songs for use within your iTunes, iPod, etc. (not locked within an App)

As a casual fan of Death Cab, I just don't see myself filling up my iPhone with apps of this sort. I would however demo new music if there were some interesting bands. Tour dates are kinda boring. What about a daily feed? Blogging from the road, a daily diary from your favorite artist. Great for some super-fans of certain bands/artists.

I'll definitely check it out based on your review of how well the executed the design of the app.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
BTW, if you do decide to grab some DCFC, I'll share some suggestions. A top 10 or sorts.:cool:

Starts with this tune.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've known of Death Cab for a while, but never really been a huge fan.. I own a few songs of theirs that I like, though. I agree with Dave - I'd like to see an app like this from a group I listen to more frequently.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
As a casual fan of Death Cab, I just don't see myself filling up my iPhone with apps of this sort. I would however demo new music if there were some interesting bands. Tour dates are kinda boring. What about a daily feed? Blogging from the road, a daily diary from your favorite artist. Great for some super-fans of certain bands/artists.

I'll definitely check it out based on your review of how well the executed the design of the app.
I agree that I wouldn't fill up the iPhone with apps like these if they do flourish. I tend not to think of this type of app as a 'keeper' - or at least not with bands I'm newly discovering. But maybe I'd keep a couple for bands I really enjoy - I like your ideas on things to do to keep it fresh - heck, certain songs could even be released first via an iPhone app. Maybe you should have a word with those Metallica guys :)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Surprised you guys:
a. Do not know Death Cab
b. Do not like Death Cab
Oh, I know them. I just refuse to listen.

It's a long story, but suffice to say even if they were the greatest band in the world, i know i wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it... in fact, quite the opposite.

paa79594

Silver
Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com
Oh, I know them. I just refuse to listen.

It's a long story, but suffice to say even if they were the greatest band in the world, i know i wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it... in fact, quite the opposite.
Can you explain why? Do you know them personally? Something must have ticked you off if you refuse to listen to a great band..

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The only thing I don't like about this app is that it should disable auto-lock when listening to the music. I don't want to have to change it in my settings just to listen to their music.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I really like Death Cab and their new album is awesome. I'll have to check into the app too.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I couldn't remember which thread this was in, so I did a search for Death--nothing. Then I tried cab---nothing, then I tried Cutie---nothing. I tried the entire name of the band and it finally came up in the search. What the hell?