Exchange Email Setup Problems

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
im right there with ya buddy.. wish we could get this fixed.. mine verified all fine, email is there next to my aim and gmail but i never get mail there

also in safari i can get to webmail.workname.com and enter my domain\username and then password

why wont this work for setting up exchange? ahhhh

jared

Aug 7, 2008
im right there with ya buddy.. wish we could get this fixed.. mine verified all fine, email is there next to my aim and gmail but i never get mail there

also in safari i can get to webmail.workname.com and enter my domain\username and then password

why wont this work for setting up exchange? ahhhh
my gmail account works perfectly! if they advertise that the iPhone works with exchange, then why won't it?

tha5150

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
again, my point exactly.

jvanber

Jul 16, 2008
look, i am the guinea pig at my office that got the iPhone. i don't care what the title or topic of the thread is. i am trying to get this stupid thing set-up to my work e-mail. i have tried numerous options, and none have worked. i want to throw this thing out of the window b/c it's so frustrating. all i know is that we use 2003 exchange software, i can access my work e-mail via Safari on the phone, and my exchange account gets verified up to the point where i enter in the server name. i know about the domain\username thing. i don't know what to put for server name and neither does my IT people.

when i use the IMAP way, the outgoign server is fine. i don't know my incoming mail server, and neither does my IT people. i don't know what port to use. I've tried 993, 143, 193 and 80.

I've called Apple, i went to AT&T, i have visited 100s of websites to try and figure out how to do this, and this thread is the closest thing i've found.

HOW DO I GET THIS TO WORK?!?!?

Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to set this thing up?!?!?
Jared,

Most of what I'm about to tell you is readily available on Apple's Enterprise Deployment guide for the iPhone...

First of all, you're confusing two different synchronization methods, and sort of thinking that they're the same thing. One method of synchronizing with an Exchange Server is via IMAP (or Secure IMAP). IMAP functions at port 143, and secure IMAP functions at port 993. In order to synchronize your phone with IMAP (OR secure IMAP) your Exchange Administrator has to:
a) Enable IMAP or S-IMAP on the Exchange server
b) Give your account access to the IMAP/SIMAP protocol in Active Directory User's and Computers
c) Poke a hole in the firewall to forward IMAP/SIMAP traffic to your Exchange Server.

Then, and ONLY then, will IMAP/SIMAP work with your iPhone. Gmail works in this way because they have IMAP enabled. Your IT department probably has it disabled for good reason.

Now, understand that IMAP/SIMAP provides you with a very LIMITED synchronization, in that you basically just get Email from your Exchange server, and not contacts/appointments/tasks, etc.

That's where the Exchange ActiveSync connection comes into play, which allows the synchronization of everything you see using Microsoft Outlook Web Access.

Likewise, however, this conduit needs to be configured by your Exchange Administrator. This is not a limitation of your iPhone, its a configuration issue with your Exchange Server.

If you're running into the issue where you can verify your account, but cannot synchronize, then the fix I recently posted will FIX YOUR ISSUE! Unfortunately, its up to your IT Administrator to do it for you. If you have a hosted Exchange solution, you'll have to work with them to provide you with access for your device. I have some clients who use hosted Exchange, and some of those providers charge additional fees for this.

At any rate, while you're frustrated, please make sure you recognize that this issue can be fixed, and note the difference between the iPhone having the *capability* of synchronizing with Exchange versus your Administrator allowing the proper access so that those capabilities can be utilized.

i don't know what to put for server name and neither does my IT people.
Your IT people most definitely should know that.

HOW DO I GET THIS TO WORK?!?!?

Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to set this thing up?!?!?
In a nutshell, YOU probably can't. You'll need an Exchange administrator to do it for you if the server isn't already set up as such.

jared

Aug 7, 2008
Jared,

Most of what I'm about to tell you is readily available on Apple's Enterprise Deployment guide for the iPhone...

First of all, you're confusing two different synchronization methods, and sort of thinking that they're the same thing. One method of synchronizing with an Exchange Server is via IMAP (or Secure IMAP). IMAP functions at port 143, and secure IMAP functions at port 993. In order to synchronize your phone with IMAP (OR secure IMAP) your Exchange Administrator has to:
b) Give your account access to the IMAP/SIMAP protocol in Active Directory User's and Computers
c) Poke a hole in the firewall to forward IMAP/SIMAP traffic to your Exchange Server.

Then, and ONLY then, will IMAP/SIMAP work with your iPhone. Gmail works in this way because they have IMAP enabled. Your IT department probably has it disabled for good reason.

Now, understand that IMAP/SIMAP provides you with a very LIMITED synchronization, in that you basically just get Email from your Exchange server, and not contacts/appointments/tasks, etc.

That's where the Exchange ActiveSync connection comes into play, which allows the synchronization of everything you see using Microsoft Outlook Web Access.

Likewise, however, this conduit needs to be configured by your Exchange Administrator. This is not a limitation of your iPhone, its a configuration issue with your Exchange Server.

If you're running into the issue where you can verify your account, but cannot synchronize, then the fix I recently posted will FIX YOUR ISSUE! Unfortunately, its up to your IT Administrator to do it for you. If you have a hosted Exchange solution, you'll have to work with them to provide you with access for your device. I have some clients who use hosted Exchange, and some of those providers charge additional fees for this.

At any rate, while you're frustrated, please make sure you recognize that this issue can be fixed, and note the difference between the iPhone having the *capability* of synchronizing with Exchange versus your Administrator allowing the proper access so that those capabilities can be utilized.

In a nutshell, YOU probably can't. You'll need an Exchange administrator to do it for you if the server isn't already set up as such.
i know that the exchange option and IMAP options are separate things. i tried it both ways b/c i couldn't get either one of them to work.

My IT people told me (from the beginning when i got the silly thing) to use port 143 because they poked a hole in the firewall for me to get access. they have the IMAP open and told me not to use SSL (which is why they told me to use port 143). however, i believe the problem is that they are giving the wrong server information for incoming mail. i've tried their suggestions and other suggestions from reading threads and blogs and reviews from countless people, and i can't get it to work. When i try to log-into the network from the server info my IT people gave me, the network doesn't even show that i tried to enter (even as an intruder)...they aren't even talking to each other!

jvanber, in your opinion since you have set-up iPhones for your network, if the web address is http://webmail.company-name.com/exchange,
then would the server name be webmail.company-name.com or something else?

jvanber

Jul 16, 2008
i know that the exchange option and IMAP options are separate things. i tried it both ways b/c i couldn't get either one of them to work.

My IT people told me (from the beginning when i got the silly thing) to use port 143 because they poked a hole in the firewall for me to get access. they have the IMAP open and told me not to use SSL (which is why they told me to use port 143). however, i believe the problem is that they are giving the wrong server information for incoming mail. i've tried their suggestions and other suggestions from reading threads and blogs and reviews from countless people, and i can't get it to work. When i try to log-into the network from the server info my IT people gave me, the network doesn't even show that i tried to enter (even as an intruder)...they aren't even talking to each other!

jvanber, in your opinion since you have set-up iPhones for your network, if the web address is http://webmail.company-name.com/exchange,
then would the server name be webmail.company-name.com or something else?
Just webmail.company-name.com is all you need as the server address.

IMAP is really pretty simple. For instance, if from home you can set up IMAP access from Outlook Express, you're all set. Your iPhone uses the same methodology to connect via IMAP; its a standard.

So, I'd try that first. Ask your IT people if they can get IMAP working via Outlook Express from outside the office (home, for instance.) When they do, ask them for those settings, plug them into the iPhone, and you're all set.

If they can't get that to work, then they still have something wrong on their end. There's plenty of resources on getting IMAP working on Exchange, but its really straight-forward.

Aug 14, 2008
Connecting to Exchange via iPhone

This may be too late to help anyone since the update of the iPhone, but a year ago I also struggled with connecting to Exchange with the iPhone. Turns out that the problem was simple. The email alias was different than the login name.

Example:

if your information is...
username: firstlast
domain: domain
email alias: firstlast@domain.com
then your iPhone login is...
domain/username

email alias: flast
domain/username/alias

The difference is that you have to declare both the username AND the alias in the login. I may have the slashes backward, but I do remember thinking that they were backward from what I expected the login to be.

Hope this helps someone.

-Bill

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
I know this is mostly about imap exchange problems, but there seems to be a lot of smart exchange people here. So I'm going to re-ask my question here.

I'm using Sherweb for my hosted exchange.

For some reason, many of my appointments are showing up on my iPhone as invitations. I've read the article at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1865 and tried all kinds of various caps and username combinations. I've contacted Sherweb's support numerous times, but they are at a loss.

Right now, I'm forced to sync my mail and contacts over the air, and my calendar via cable and iTunes.

Anyhow, does anyone have any ideas to help me?

Is anyone else using hosted exchange? Are you having invitation problems?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Example:

email alias: firstlast@domain.com
domain/username

email alias: flast
domain/username/alias

-Bill

This looks interesting, but what do you mean your iPhone login is domain/username/alias? Where do you put that setting? Under my Microsoft Exchange Account settings I only have
Email
Server
Username
Password
Description
Use SSL

jgibo1

Aug 20, 2008
Where I work we haven't officially setup anything for pda phones except Blackberry. The have it turned on so we can use it though.
Strange thing though. On my Blackjack 2 I had to use the owa webmail.companyname.com and got push email all day long with no battery drain. On my iPhone 3g I had to use exchange.companyname.com and get push email but battery drain all day long.
So far have only seen one person with issues. His contacts don't sync. Tested with other uses on his phone and vice verse and looks like something wrong with just his account. So I forwarded that call to our exchange group. I just wish they would tweak the server so my 9 hours of standby wouldn't have over 7 hours of usage with a nearly dead battery.

To the earlier post who said their IT didn't know the server name, try pinging a few names at work and see if any get a reply. ping exchange.name.com or webmail. whatever. Worst case there is someone there that knows and they just don't want to turn on and have one more thing to support.

Jaytee716

Sep 1, 2008
Here Is What Worked For Me

I'm having the same problem too....well had. What I did was to remove the @mycompany.com from my username when I set up the exchange settings.

So, for username I put in:
mail\firstname.lastname

My server domain is mail and my email address that I use to log into webmail is my full email address. I tried dropping the @mycompany.com and it has been working for a couple days now.

Just thought I share.

kgil79

Aug 16, 2007
I am getting exchange emails immediately on my iPhone when on wifi, but it won't connect to the server when on 3g or edge. I don't have the enterprise data plan. Does that have anything to do with it? Is anyone else having this problem?

tonybro

Aug 13, 2008
UK
Under my Microsoft Exchange Account settings I only have
Email
Server
Username
Password
Description
Use SSL
Email is your e-mail address: xxx@yyy.com or whatever
Server is the server name: owa.companyname.com or similar
Username (this is where things get a little confusing): normally in the form of domainname\username where username is similar to the first part of your e-mail address
Password: self-explanatory
Description: free text for you to describe the service (Work E-mail for example)
Use SSL: yes or no depending on whether you can or not - usually yes

I have it all set up on Windows Mobile and have tried it on my iPhone and it all works but I have all the settings to hand.

If you want to verify it, try the free service from Mail2web.com for a play around to see how it all works....

HTH

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
I finally got all of my problems solved. I finally got the right settings, but even then there were several birthday and anniversary appointments that were created before I was with my current hosting service, so I had to go in and manually recreate those and delete the old ones. A pain in the butt, but a success, now.

thehotrod

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Me too. I can't believe that was it. I've been with 2 isp's and 2 different hosting companies with WinMobile phones and those birthdays have been on my Outlook for years. This was never a problem till now, but hopefully now it won't ever be a problem again.

tonybro

Aug 13, 2008
UK
but hopefully now it won't ever be a problem again.
Shouldn't think so! :)

I use 2 different Exchange server sources for different devices and keep them in sync using outlook on the desktop. If ever one of the server's is down I can switch to the other....

globalboy

Jan 18, 2009
Finding Correct MS Exchange Server Name for IP servers

Hello

I use MS Exchange at my company and it is not attached to a domain, only the dedicated IP address

I CAN use exchange remotely (through the login console) and CAN access the desktops and server remotely

I have what I hope is a simple question
On the iPhone where it asks server name - what do I put?

I know if I had a domain name on the server it would be that but what about those with IP addresses (only)?

our internal domain is standard protocol

company.Servername.local

when logging in remotely we use the standard protocol as well

something like
https://111.232.23.232/remote

HAS ANYONE WITH EXCHANGE WHO USES AN IP, NOT A DOMAIN SET UP ON iPhone? if so i think knowing what "server name" to use will be all i need

thank you!

pwalhovd

Feb 18, 2009
Read this post it has all you need to fix all Exchange iPhone Problems!

Jared,

First of all I want to thank jvanber for the excellent post.
It basically took me to MS Knowledge base article that resolved the issue, and I am now enjoying the real sync with my Exchange 2003 server anywhere I am which is awesome!

The only things I would like to add/change/comment on is this:

-Make sure if host headers is used with the specific virtual web that host exchange oma virtual directory that this specific host header name have to be used for connection or else it will not work. If you do not know what host headers is you are not using it.

-Make sure you understand the difference as stated in this post in basically downloading your email via IMAP (which is just slightly more advanced than POP3) and actually synching your iPhone with Exchange where active sync is used and you get mail, calendar and contacts actually synchronized with your exchange server both ways!
Only the last one is a real sync and it uses HTTP (TCP Port 80) and HTTPS (TCP Port 443) to do so. You will need a server certificate for HTTPS to be available, but it can be easily issued by your own server or some other server by installing Certificate Server and issuing it yourself. If you choose to do this you will get a warning that the certificate cannot be verified, but it will still work normally and still use SSL for the communication.

-To resolve this issue reading janvers posts and reading this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379/en-us) is ALL you need!
The only thing that you might lack is the knowledge to understand the posts and the knowledge base article, but that is way beyond the scope of this post to explain!

Good luck to everyone! It took me about 30 minutes to fix the problem after reading these two articles, so it is not hard if you have the networking knowledge and understand the content!

pwalhovd

Feb 18, 2009
Hello

I use MS Exchange at my company and it is not attached to a domain, only the dedicated IP address

I CAN use exchange remotely (through the login console) and CAN access the desktops and server remotely

I have what I hope is a simple question
On the iPhone where it asks server name - what do I put?

I know if I had a domain name on the server it would be that but what about those with IP addresses (only)?

our internal domain is standard protocol

company.Servername.local

when logging in remotely we use the standard protocol as well

something like
https://111.232.23.232/remote

HAS ANYONE WITH EXCHANGE WHO USES AN IP, NOT A DOMAIN SET UP ON iPhone? if so i think knowing what "server name" to use will be all i need

thank you!
A domain name always resolves to an ip through a DNS lookup.
If you put the ip address instead of the server name the only difference is that you save the name resolving lookup.

In other words your server name would be: 111.232.23.232

Hope this helps