Exchange Email Setup Problems

pwalhovd

Feb 18, 2009
Email is your e-mail address: xxx@yyy.com or whatever
Server is the server name: owa.companyname.com or similar
Username (this is where things get a little confusing): normally in the form of domainname\username where username is similar to the first part of your e-mail address
Password: self-explanatory
Description: free text for you to describe the service (Work E-mail for example)
Use SSL: yes or no depending on whether you can or not - usually yes

I have it all set up on Windows Mobile and have tried it on my iPhone and it all works but I have all the settings to hand.

If you want to verify it, try the free service from Mail2web.com for a play around to see how it all works....

HTH
Some quick comments:

You only need to use username in the form domain/username if the server is a member server in a domain and the authentication is redirected to a domain server. If not just the username is enough.

SSL can be used when you can get through to the server on port 443 and sync with HTTPS which uses SSL (encryption) instead of HTTP (port 80).
SSL requires a certificate on the server - see previous post for explanation.

Thought I share some since this thread was what made it work for me.

mrmoretti

Mar 9, 2009
iPhone rebooting after ActiveSync Update

Chances are the mailbox you are trying to sync with has corrupt message(s).

We had this problem not so long ago and when testing ActiveSync on an empty mailbox or a mailbox with a limited number of messages as apposed to a mailbox with thousands of messages/attachments, we found the test mailbox synced without any problems while the mailbox causing the problem kept causing the iPhone to reboot when trying to sync.

You should test syncing with a number of different Exchange mailboxes to see if this applies to you.

Another thing you should look at is limited the sync to headers only, or a specific number of items/kb's.

JayMay

Mar 3, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Chances are the mailbox you are trying to sync with has corrupt message(s).

We had this problem not so long ago and when testing ActiveSync on an empty mailbox or a mailbox with a limited number of messages as apposed to a mailbox with thousands of messages/attachments, we found the test mailbox synced without any problems while the mailbox causing the problem kept causing the iPhone to reboot when trying to sync.

You should test syncing with a number of different Exchange mailboxes to see if this applies to you.

Another thing you should look at is limited the sync to headers only, or a specific number of items/kb's.
Thanks Tonybro and pwalhovd. I will check all this.
Cheers

andyhargreaves

Apr 13, 2009
Came across this thread from Google, and thought I should add on here that disabling SSL allowed my iPhone 3G (2.2.1) to correctly access my work exchange server, following the "exchange account verification failed" error.

Andy

JayMay

Mar 3, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
iPhone Sync

Came across this thread from Google, and thought I should add on here that disabling SSL allowed my iPhone 3G (2.2.1) to correctly access my work exchange server, following the "exchange account verification failed" error.

Andy
:) Thanks Andy. I will try this with tonybro's settings.
I'm also waiting for our IT guy to check the server settings.
The whole thing has been so frustrating, :confused:, I've almost lost interest.
Cheers
JayMay

cheri1216

Jun 5, 2009
Louisiana USA
if you still need help here is how mine is set up
emal--work email address
server--00.000.17.106---whatever your domain numbers are
domain-blank
username--your user name @ work
password-same as above
descrpition---work email
SSL --on
I believe it asked me something about accepting the certificate--I put yes

thejasper

Jul 23, 2009
iPhone 3GS 32GB and Exchange 2007 Proxy Problem

As many people are finding out; the iPhone doesn't support proxy configuration in the native iPhone exchange client. Because of this Outlook Anywhere will not work for obvious reasons. Does anyone know of a solid work around for this? Perhaps a 3rd party app that actually mimics the real 07 client?

I am extremely frustrated with not being able to check my corporate email, ANY guidance on this would be most appreciated.

Thank You,

-Jasper

PsyberDave

Feb 26, 2010
iPhones now synching with Exchange. THANK YOU!

Well, I've finally got the issue resolved.

First I'd like to say that the last few posts have been a bit off-topic from the discussion that originally took place earlier in the thread. This discussion has nothing to do with IMAP syncing, as its specifically addressing active-sync over ports 443 or 80. The topic being covered assumes the following:

1. -You're likely an Admin, and have access to your firewall and Exchange Server.
2. You're forwarding ports 443 (or 80) to your IIS server.
3. You've entered your credentials on the iPhone, and you either can't validate, or you can validate but can't sync afterward.

I reached an Apple representative who was actually very helpful, and he was also familiar with this problem.

This particular client was using a SBS2003 server, which is significant, since the "exchange-oma" virtual directory is automatically created in IIS. For non-SBS servers, its possible that you won't have an "exchange-oma" virtual directory, and if that's the case you will need to create one.

Admins, the good news is that the fix isn't necessarily an Apple fix as much as its an existing Microsoft KBase article: 817379 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379/en-us ). For my SBS environment, after backing up the existing /exchange-oma virtual directory, I removed it, and created a new one using the /exchange virtual directory as a template.

I followed through the article, and it worked like a charm. Upon doing an iisreset, my client sent me a message from his phone as it almost immediately began syncing.

Good luck to everyone. I'm glad to have this one solved. :)

FYI my server has a 3rd party certificate installed, but I don't think that's significant to resolving this issue.
Let me echo the thanks to jvanber for the above post. It was just what we needed to get our iPhones synching with Exchange.

I was pounding my head on my desk trying to get the #$#@$*&% iPhone to synch with Exchange. After I followed the Knowledge Base article to create a virtual owa server etc., I was up and running.

For the record, others have suggested that Exchange synching on the iPhone is for Exchange 2007. Not true. We are running Exchange 2003. Also, others have stated that it is necessary to enter the doman/username in the username field on the iPhone. I did not find this necessary as I just entered the username. Perhaps it depends upon how the server is configured.

Thanks again jvanber.

zeus123

Mar 5, 2012
This is driving me potty. I can receive junk emails from my work email (on my iPhone) in the junk inbox but not normail emails in my normal inbox. Very strange! But if i send myself an email then i get it on my iPhone. Other email in my inbox cannot be seen on the iPhone. Can someone help me out on this?

iphoneint

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Just as a quick check, do you happen to have another computer (work) that is set to download the messages from the exchange server and so the iPhone does not have the opportunity to see them as they are stored locally on that computer?

zeus123

Mar 5, 2012
yes i have a work pc too and the messages appear there ok

But funnily i get emails in the junk box on my iPhone

iphoneint

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Yes that is why I had asked if you had another computer, when you are running Outlook, it normally downloads the Inbox from the exchange server locally when you have it set up as work offline. It will not do the Junk mail by default. So, If you can check your work PC to see if it is set up to download your messages to a local Inbox instead of leaving them in the exchange server, as that would be the problem.

If you are not in work offline mode in your work PC, then I would say that it would point to a permissions issue, and we can go validate that, but since you mentioned being able to see your Junk folder that would led me to suspect that your work PC is downloading all the messages to it, and not leaving them in the exchange server for your iPhone to see.

jvanber

Jul 16, 2008
It's been a few years since that post. What I can say is that configuring an iPhone on basically any version EXCEPT for Exchange 2003 is an absolute breeze. If your company is using Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

But yes, I still have a couple of clients on Exchange 2003, and this is still the method we employ in getting iPhones to work with ActiveSync.

I'm glad the solution was helpful to people, and I thank the users who elaborated on what helped them out.

For the record, I have a lot of clients who have begun using various hosted-exchange solutions. From a support standpoint, there are some I like, some that are just OK, and some that are not worth mentioning.

Microsoft's own hosted-solution I characterize as "just ok." It's kind of bare-bones hosted Exchange. It works well, but getting support is a real pain.

Otherwise, our favorite vendor is a company called "AppRiver" (www.appriver.com). They are a bit more per hosted mailbox, but they offer excellent spam-filtering, and active-sync is included (yay for iPhones). They've been hosting Exchange since version 2003, so unlike a lot of the services that just popped up recently with Exchange 2010, AppRiver has a lot of experience, as they've migrated from 2003, to 2007, and most recently 2010. The experience for my hosted clients has been excellent. Lastly, when I call them for support, I get a human immediately, and if they say their name is "Chris," it really is.

Basically, the reason I'm saying all this, is that if your company is still at Exchange 2003, please encourage them to just move to a good hosted provider.

Regards and good luck,

-Joshua Van Berkum
http://www.sourcepath.com