Exchange Server issues here

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Ok,

I configured my iPhone to connect to my Exchange mail server. It downloads all my items from my inbox that was on the exchange server. Great, BUT.

1. I cannot see any of my sub-folders that I have, for example, it won't show my sent items, and deleted along iwth the rest of the 50+ sub-folders I have.

2. After using my iPhone for sending and deleting emails, I notice after deleting the email, it still keeps it on my exchange server inbox and only marks it as read. It will create 2 sub folders under my inbox "Deleted Items" and "Sent Items" that are the same duplicate of the iPhone. But it actually should use the standard folders already configured AND delete the file out of the exchange server.

Is anyone else having these problems?

ALSO...

I am assuming the exchange feature will NOT sync calendar and contacts etc.. am I correct?

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
anyone please?

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I could really use some help on this.

asdiphone

Jun 17, 2007
Ok,

I configured my iPhone to connect to my Exchange mail server. It downloads all my items from my inbox that was on the exchange server. Great, BUT.

1. I cannot see any of my sub-folders that I have, for example, it won't show my sent items, and deleted along iwth the rest of the 50+ sub-folders I have.

2. After using my iPhone for sending and deleting emails, I notice after deleting the email, it still keeps it on my exchange server inbox and only marks it as read. It will create 2 sub folders under my inbox "Deleted Items" and "Sent Items" that are the same duplicate of the iPhone. But it actually should use the standard folders already configured AND delete the file out of the exchange server.

ALSO...

I am assuming the exchange feature will NOT sync calendar and contacts etc.. am I correct?
same issues ... and yes no calendar and contact sync

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
While not an expert I think that is all the Exchange functionality you will get for now. Below is some information I found from an article about iPhone and Exchange. It sucks but I don't think Apple ever promised that it would support all the features you are wanting it to do at this time.

The iPhone does not support e-mail syncronization with Exchange. The iPhone can access Exchange throught he IMAP protocal but this protocal does not support automatic e-mail sync and does not allow access to certain Exchange features that do not support this protocal.

asdiphone

Jun 17, 2007
While not an expert I think that is all the Exchange functionality you will get for now. Below is some information I found from an article about iPhone and Exchange. It sucks but I don't think Apple ever promised that it would support all the features you are wanting it to do at this time.

The iPhone does not support e-mail syncronization with Exchange. The iPhone can access Exchange throught he IMAP protocal but this protocal does not support automatic e-mail sync and does not allow access to certain Exchange features that do not support this protocal.
Mine was working fine till yesterday morning. I was able to sync to all sub folders with no issue. Now I am still seeing the folders, when i try and file a message to the sub folder, a copy goes to the sub folder and a copy stays in the inbox.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the Exchange update form last week? (I don't have the link, but google "iPhone exchange issues")

digitalfx

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Look in setup, go to advanced options. Look at IMAP path prefix. Adjust this to fit your server, mine is just "\"

mine works perfectly

nloui

Jul 3, 2007
Ok,

ALSO...

yeah, I can't see any other folders either. The only way that I've been able to kind of sync calendars and contacts with exchange is to sync my contacts and ical with exchange and then sync from my mac to my iPhone, which is a pain and hasn't work all that well with my server.

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Look in setup, go to advanced options. Look at IMAP path prefix. Adjust this to fit your server, mine is just "\"

mine works perfectly
My IMAP path was "INBOX". With that I had the same issues as mm1250. I tried "\" and "/" - when I did that, all subfolders under my inbox disappeared. So I'm back to INBOX. But like mm1250 I have no other subfolders from exchange (other than sent and deleted that the iPhone apparently created.

Interesting sidenote is that I have 2 other "inboxes" on Exchange that I use to filter personal mail. In Outlook, I dragged those to be subfolders under the main Inbox - they now appear on the iPhone & sync.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Well, I found out if you drag your other mail folders UNDER the inbox folder vs. leaving it aside it, you can get them to sync to the iPhone. While this is not the optional way, I can live with this for a short as a temp solution.

The only issue now is if I delete an email from the inbox, it won't delete it on the actual server, it will just leave it and mark it as read. Anyone figure a way to fix this?

As for contacts and calander, I'll just have to use the PC sync. (hoping it will work).

edmartin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I did a little testing and a little research. I don't have a solution yet but I do have some good leads.

On my iPhone, under advanced settings for my work/IMAP email account, by default my "IMAP Path Prefix" is set to "INBOX". When set this way, I see my inbox plus any/all subfolders under it. In a previous post, a user suggested changing it to "/". If I change that to "/" or "\", I see only my inbox with no subfolders under it.

Poking around the Microsoft KB site, I found an article that talks about excluding folders under Exchange 2003. The article is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890550/en-us. And another one I found related to the same concept: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319188/en-us.

It's the 4th so I can't get my IT guys on it today but I believe the answer may be that certain folders must be set to "include" (or not set as "exclude") so that IMAP clients will be able to see them. I'm guessing that "inbox" is set to be included (or not excluded) by default but all other folders are set to be excluded by default.

I'll let y'all know after my IT guys can take a look at it.

mm1250- I tend to think this will only work with mail folders - not with things like calendar, contacts and tasks. It seems that the iPhone mail client vs contact list vs calendar are separate apps; I don't think that the mail client would know how to handle an Exchange contact list. But that's just a guess.

The sad part is that by the time we figure this out, the rampant rumors about Apple licensing activesync technology will come true and a real Exchange sync upgrade will be out. ;)