Exchange Server setup loses password

markd97

Sep 5, 2008
I was able to setup Exchange Server on the 3G, and then the password disappeared. I am prompted to reenter the password but it never takes. What's up with this?

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
hadn't seen that before... are you sure your password hasn't been changed on the server side?

markd97

Sep 5, 2008
hadn't seen that before... are you sure your password hasn't been changed on the server side?
I use Entourage for Mac to access the same account with the same username and password. So no, the password is correct it just gets blanked out. Verification was successful and all the exchange folders are on the iPhone, but when I try and access the account I am prompted to enter my password, over and over and over. When I look in the settings all the other info is there, username, domain, exchange server but in the password field the gray "Required" is there, no dots to indicate a password. Then I edit the account, add the password again and the same thing happens. Password disappears and I am prompted to enter it whenever I try to access the email account.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
It has been documented that deleting the mail account in the iPhone and re-entering solves many issues. Also make sure "SYNC EMAIL ACCOUNTS" is "NOT CHECKED" in iTunes. I had a similair problem and not sncying email accounts in iTunes solved it.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
It has been documented that deleting the mail account in the iPhone and re-entering solves many issues. Also make sure "SYNC EMAIL ACCOUNTS" is "NOT CHECKED" in iTunes. I had a similair problem and not sncying email accounts in iTunes solved it.
Definitely try what showguy said. Also, I've found that when inputting the user account... I think they suggest using domain\username but I've always just used the username and it worked fine. Couldn't hurt. I'd try deleting the account first.

markd97

Sep 5, 2008

Thanks for the reply. I've deleted and reentered many times. iTunes isn't in the picture at this point. Everything is happening on the iPhone. Or I should say NOTHING is happening. I guess I'll have to drop Apple a line since no one else seems to have encountered this problem.

markd97

Sep 5, 2008
Definitely try what showguy said. Also, I've found that when inputting the user account... I think they suggest using domain\username but I've always just used the username and it worked fine. Couldn't hurt. I'd try deleting the account first.
Thanks for the reply. At first I didn't notice the Domain/Username prompt. I was wondering where the domain should be input and I kept getting the "can't verify account" message. When I finally saw the prompt I put in the domain with my username and the account was verified. When I went into Mail all my folders had been loaded. But then my password was gone. No matter what I do the password disappears after the account has been verified and a connection to my exchange server has been made.

Wiggo

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Memphis
Backslash. Domain\Username. Domain/Username causes odd things to happen (perhaps like losing the password).

markd97

Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Tried both formats. Later caused domain name to be appended to email address. Both formats caused password to disappear.

dlgh01

Sep 6, 2008
ditto

experiencing exactly the same problem :-(

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Yeah... I guess at this point contacting Apple might be the thing to do. I'm sure they've probably seen this problem.

Just for kicks did you try it with and without SSL enabled?

dlgh01

Sep 6, 2008
problem solved!

Deleted account for the third time and re entered the same info (I think) and hey presto working fine:cool:

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Mark something else just came to mind. I had a problem setting my phone up with exchange and found this "walk through" Apparently exchange is very finikey about the way you set it up

So if you’re johnsmith@acme.com in Exchange, you can’t config your iPhone as JohnSmith@acme.com, even though officially (according to Internet RFC rules) email addresses are absolutely never case sensitive. Also, you can’t use an email alias, such as jsmith@acme.com — the iPhone has to match the Exchange config. In my case, my name actually has an underscore in it that I was never aware of — the Exchange provider uses that internally and never published the fact.