Exchange synchronization available

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
In my weekly searches for updates on iPxsync and Visto Mobile I discovered today that Visto mobile has quietly become available. If you follow this link you can download the desktop client that will supposedly allow you to connect to your exchange server on the iPhone. I can't get it working yet, but seems to be more of a work firewall type issue. Let me know if it works for you.

http://www.vistomobile.com/vistomobile/page.cfm?pageid=166

fyre_lp

Oct 4, 2007
Anyone found any mention of how much this service will cost after the trial expires? I hate using something nice like this for 2 months only to find out I can't afford it.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
It's working great for me. We have one of the most secure networks I've ever dealt with at our company and this system was a breeze to setup. It works like a champ. I'll definitely subscribe if an iPhone native solution isn't offered by Apple or a 3rd party before my 60 days is up.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
It's working great for me. We have one of the most secure networks I've ever dealt with at our company and this system was a breeze to setup. It works like a champ. I'll definitely subscribe if an iPhone native solution isn't offered by Apple or a 3rd party before my 60 days is up.

Well I'll try it again and see if I can get it to work. You give me hope.

Oct 30, 2007
How is this solution different from IMAPS (if the hosting service allows it)? It seems to me that it is only useful for Exchange users who don't have IMAP access.

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
How is this solution different from IMAPS (if the hosting service allows it)? It seems to me that it is only useful for Exchange users who don't have IMAP access.
I agree, this is useless w/out contact/calendar syncing. Forward your mail to google, and setup IMAP. We need real exchange capabilities on the iPhone :(

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I agree, this is useless w/out contact/calendar syncing. Forward your mail to google, and setup IMAP. We need real exchange capabilities on the iPhone :(
Au contraire -- while I agree that contact/calendar syncing is key, forwarding mail is not a solution for corporate email. When I forward my work email to google I am listed in google as the sender. Thus, I cannot reply to the original email and have that reply go to all the people on the original email or have it come from my work address (I know Google claims that capability but it hasn't worked for me yet). With Visto, I can do those things as if I were responding directly from my work computer. That's the difference.

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
Au contraire -- while I agree that contact/calendar syncing is key, forwarding mail is not a solution for corporate email. When I forward my work email to google I am listed in google as the sender. Thus, I cannot reply to the original email and have that reply go to all the people on the original email or have it come from my work address (I know Google claims that capability but it hasn't worked for me yet). With Visto, I can do those things as if I were responding directly from my work computer. That's the difference.
I have no issues in google replying "FROM" another email address.... all of my mail comes in from 4 different accounts, and I reply from my personal (non-gmail) address all the time. Other than a company policy prohibiting sending your mail through another provider (which would also mean you are prohibited from using forwarding software such as visto which make a security hole to your corporate mail server), there is no reason to need any such services. We need full exchange support for anything like this to be useful. I miss being able to enter a contact, appointment on my Q and having it show up directly on my laptop, and my home pc, and my office pc without needing to "plug the phone in" to sync.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I have no issues in google replying "FROM" another email address.... all of my mail comes in from 4 different accounts, and I reply from my personal (non-gmail) address all the time. Other than a company policy prohibiting sending your mail through another provider (which would also mean you are prohibited from using forwarding software such as visto which make a security hole to your corporate mail server), there is no reason to need any such services. We need full exchange support for anything like this to be useful. I miss being able to enter a contact, appointment on my Q and having it show up directly on my laptop, and my home pc, and my office pc without needing to "plug the phone in" to sync.

You are still missing a major point in my opinion. While you may be able to respond from your work address from within Google (which I could do using Chattermail on my Treo), you still can't reply to all on the original email because it comes to you as a forwarded email. In my case, the email addresses of the sender and the ccs are not even visible because they are simply listed as their names, which is how the corporate server displays them. So I beg to differ with your opinion that this does not serve a purpose that cannot be fulfilled by Google mail.

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
You are still missing a major point in my opinion. While you may be able to respond from your work address from within Google (which I could do using Chattermail on my Treo), you still can't reply to all on the original email because it comes to you as a forwarded email. In my case, the email addresses of the sender and the ccs are not even visible because they are simply listed as their names, which is how the corporate server displays them. So I beg to differ with your opinion that this does not serve a purpose that cannot be fulfilled by Google mail.
You clearly aren't forwarding your box correctly... True server forwarding, will forward the mail w/ the headers unchanged to the intended box. I reply-to-all daily with no issues. You are doing client forwarding, and not direct forwarding of your account.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
You clearly aren't forwarding your box correctly... True server forwarding, will forward the mail w/ the headers unchanged to the intended box. I reply-to-all daily with no issues. You are doing client forwarding, and not direct forwarding of your account.

Not sure what you mean. I have set up a rule in Outlook to forward all incoming mail to my googlemail address. Is there another way? I cannot utlize any method that would require the assistance of IT as they will not cooperate with supporting devices other than company blackberries.

WickedZ

Jul 19, 2007
Not sure what you mean. I have set up a rule in Outlook to forward all incoming mail to my googlemail address. Is there another way? I cannot utlize any method that would require the assistance of IT as they will not cooperate with supporting devices other than company blackberries.
When setting up forwarding rules there are 2 types of rules... client based rules, and server based rules... you need to make sure the rule is setup as a server based rule. The easiest way to to do this is to setup the rule using outlook web access, but you can also do it from the outlook client.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
When setting up forwarding rules there are 2 types of rules... client based rules, and server based rules... you need to make sure the rule is setup as a server based rule. The easiest way to to do this is to setup the rule using outlook web access, but you can also do it from the outlook client.
Thanks. But I just re-setup the rule from Outlook web access and still get the same thing -- all messages arrive as being forwarded from me. Is it possible that my company has disabled server based rules? I see no option to designate a rule as client or server based either from within Outlook or through web access?