Exchanged iPhone Today

I had my iPhone since July 06. It had a problem with the speaker volume going up and down all on it's own. One minute, I could hear a song or make a phone call and hear perfectly from the speaker, I could even hear it ring. 10 minutes later, the sound would be so low I couldn't hear a thing.

Now after 6 months, I decided to bring it to the Apple store. I made an appointment for 4PM and got called a few minutes before. I had my second iPhone with me to compare side by side sounds, identical setup with ringtones and all. He heard the difference right away and I walked out with a brand new week 1 iPhone.

Syncing this to my old iPhones contents was a problem. Because the old iPhones backup was on 1.1.3 and my new iPhone is on 1.1.2, the backups are not compatible so I could not use the backup. I could easily upgrade to 1.1.3 and use the backup but I don't think I want to on this phone right away, I can jailbreak it if I want.

I did walk out with an iSkin Revo case just like what I have on my other iPhone and an airport extreme base station. A person can't go to the Apple store without walking out with some new toys. :)

Anyways, my point of this whole post is to praise those most excellent people at the Apple store. Where else can I walk out with a brand new iPhone after owning the old one for 6 months. Good service, Apple RULES!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
yes ive had 2 exchanges and they really don't give you any problems. and on my 2nd return we had the same problem with the back up and 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. He tried to do the back up and it said it was corrupt. So we upgraded the new one to 1.1.3, tried back up again, and then it worked.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Ah I loved it back when I worked at the Apple Store. Every time a guy came in and said "My ipod isn't working!" or "My MacBook has this problem!" I would end up giving a new whatever wasn't working and I loved seeing their faces.

I still get called by name by the Mac Geeks every time I go in there. When I walked in tonight to photograph the EIC-ed iPhone, the guy in the front just said 'Hey John, wassup?' casually, just like I still worked there.

- John

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Ah I loved it back when I worked at the Apple Store. Every time a guy came in and said "My ipod isn't working!" or "My MacBook has this problem!" I would end up giving a new whatever wasn't working and I loved seeing their faces.

I still get called by name by the Mac Geeks every time I go in there. When I walked in tonight to photograph the EIC-ed iPhone, the guy in the front just said 'Hey John, wassup?' casually, just like I still worked there.

- John
Why would you photograph an EICed iPhone?

- John
It's a good feeling getting a brand new whatever it is electronic! I just have never seen another electronic store that would give you another unit brand new after it's been six months.

By the way, those brand new iPhones come in those white unmarked boxes and they are already activated so that you can start using it as soon as he puts your sim card in it. I noticed when I connected it to my own computer, it reaactivated it again which took a minute.

I'm extremely happy! I wish I would have went down there sooner to exchange the iPhone, I guess I was just too lazy, well that and it's sort of a long drive, almost an hour.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's a good feeling getting a brand new whatever it is electronic! I just have never seen another electronic store that would give you another unit brand new after it's been six months.

By the way, those brand new iPhones come in those white unmarked boxes and they are already activated so that you can start using it as soon as he puts your sim card in it. I noticed when I connected it to my own computer, it reaactivated it again which took a minute.

I'm extremely happy! I wish I would have went down there sooner to exchange the iPhone, I guess I was just too lazy, well that and it's sort of a long drive, almost an hour.
Strange that they would come in a white box instead of one of those black ones. I guess they can tell the difference that way.

Strange that they would come in a white box instead of one of those black ones. I guess they can tell the difference that way.
Well the white box iPhones just contain an iPhone and nothing else. They are only meant to be given to customers who are swapping iPhones or in my case, exchanging it because of the sound issue. They don't even come wrapped and they only have the film covering the display just like the factory phones.

ryfone

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Pacific NW
Did you originally buy your iPhone from an Apple store? Do you get the same kind of treatment from an Apple store if you buy your iPhone from AT&T?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I bought that iPhone at the Apple store July 6. I'm not sure what happens with an AT&T iPhone.
It wouldn't matter where you purchased the iPhone; Apple is responsible for all warranty work on the iPhone. If you aren't within driving distance of an Apple store, you can call them up and arrange a loaner phone to be sent to you and shipping of your phone to Apple for repairs or replacement. They won't even touch it at the AT&T store.

I also discovered a few things after the exchange. My warranty on the new iPhone expires at the same time my original warranty expired. It does not give you a new one year warranty on the exchanged iPhone.

Also on this new iPhone, i realized the most important reason I have to not upgrade the 1.1.2 firmware:

1.1.3 breaks the pairing between my Garmin Nuvi 680 GPS handsfree functions. On the 1.1.2 iPhone, it pairs with the GPS perfectly as it did on the previous firmware versions.