exchanging 16GB for 8GB

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
I bought a 16GB phone from the Apple store because I was getting frustrated not being able to get to the store when the 8GB was available. Is it possible for me to exchange it and get the 8gb phone without having to pay a restock fee or something?

thomasanderson

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I was told it was no problem when I called my Apple Store and asked if I could exchange my 8gb for a 16gb. The Apple store employee said just bring in the 8gb before the 30 days, and they would exchange them no problem if I pay the difference, no penalty.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
LOL. I wanna to the opposite of you. I'd rather have more now.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Why do you want to downgrade? If its for the $100 you can get back you should seriously consider getting a cheaper phone.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I am wanting to go the opposite way and exchange my 8GB for a 16GB. So I went to the Apple store and they told me that 1) they could only help me if I bought it there (which I did not) and 2) that they would only exchange it if it was defective and it would be for the same model purchased.

So I called the AT&T store where I purchased it and they said no problem, but I would have to return my 8GB and they would have to order me a 16GB through DF. I would also have to pay a 10% restock fee.

I am going to go this route, but now I need to find an AT&T phone that I can use in the interim until my 16GB comes in.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Apple's warranty is 14 days not 30 hence the restocking fee.

twallyf

Bronze
Oct 20, 2007
FYI, I went on Sat to exchange the phone and was told that since this is a phone that has to be activated the only way to exchange phones was to cancel the first phone and activate a second phone. There would likely be issues with the cancellation fee and putting my old number on the new phone. There was no way to determine if there would be any issues until after the transaction takes place. She said there have already been people that tried to exchange phones and ran into this issue, so be careful!