Exchanging my phone on Thursday due to battery

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
im getting like four to six hours max of usage its not even lasting me the day. Ive read that two out of three phones have a shitty battery. Has anyone else exchanged there phone due to battery problems? If so what was your experience?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
If I were you, I would wait til next week. The software update is coming next week. I called 800-my-iphone and they told me they're aware of the battery issue and that the update is gonna include a fix for the battery issue. I asked them about my battery and they said even if it's not fully charged, the software may be reporting that its fully charged. Basically, if it shows that it's fully charged on your iPhone and the plug icon appears, it may REALLY NOT be fully charged yet because the software is messed up. So this update that's coming next week may fix everything.

Jul 10, 2007
yeah i have, yesterday basically they guy tested the battery and told me they were going to replace it, so the switched the sims card and it has worked fine so far, it was quick, simple and worth it

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
If I were you, I would wait til next week. The software update is coming next week. I called 800-my-iphone and they told me they're aware of the battery issue and that the update is gonna include a fix for the battery issue. I asked them about my battery and they said even if it's not fully charged, the software may be reporting that its fully charged. So this update that's coming next week may fix everything.
I'm holding off too. I also called Apple today and "the engineers" (after my call was escalated to a higher support person) felt it might be software related... though my problem is the opposite... it NEVER reports 100% fully charged properly. I get the little plug icon, but the big green battery never completely fills up and glows.

Though they did not tell me about any software update... I figured I'd hold off and wait just a bit more. I AM getting great battery life though.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Geeze, how much usage are we supposed to get? Mine was just under 7 hours and it forced me to charge it because it wouldn't power on completely otherwise.

I don't think it's a software problem. I'm going to guess and say that everyone that has experience a battery problem has at least kept their phone on the charger at least overnight. That surely charges it to max regardless of what the meter says. Software or no software, I think 8 hours on the charger means it's fully charged. Unless the software is so buggy that it stops charging the battery. That's the only hope as far as I'm concerned. I think 7 hours of internet use mainly is pretty good for me. Isn't that about right?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Some people on this forum are saying they're getting 6 hours of usage with 1 day of standby and still have 50% of their battery left. So I guess it all depends on what you're using and what settings you have. The guy at Apple told me that if you use the speakerphone while you're on a call, that eats up more battery. If you have the volume set to the highest setting while you're on a call, it eats up more battery than if it were on a lower setting. So there's all kinds of variables that affect the battery life.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Geeze, how much usage are we supposed to get? Mine was just under 7 hours and it forced me to charge it because it wouldn't power on completely otherwise.

I don't think it's a software problem. I'm going to guess and say that everyone that has experience a battery problem has at least kept their phone on the charger at least overnight. That surely charges it to max regardless of what the meter says. Software or no software, I think 8 hours on the charger means it's fully charged. What do you guys think?
Well, there's no real solid answer on how much usage you'll get utilizing all the different applications you can on the iPhone. I know I'm going 2 days without needing to charge regardless of the fact my battery doesn't report fully charged properly. But I also can't tell you what my actual usage time is since my usage meter has never worked! LOL

I'm sure putting it on the charger overnight while you sleep is good practice anyway...

I DO, however, think there two groups of people who have legitimate issues... first group is the one with the faulty batteries that won't last more than a couple of hours, even with WiFi and Bluetooth off (I believe this is a much smaller group)... and the second group where their battery hardware is actually fine, but the status isn't being reported to the phone properly. This is the software glitch.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
im exchanging mine tonite due to battery . when the 20% popped up i was at less than 3 hours usage 6 hours standby..... thats horrible. i will let you guys know how it goes .

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
the Apple guys were great , came in and told them my problems . they gave me a couple of tips to increase battery life and if i wanted to i could come back . he then said they would gladly exchange it for a new one if i wanted . i said lets give it a shot . i had a 4 gig and they gave me the option of paying the difference for an 8 gig which i did!(at time of purchase they didn't have 8gig's). the process was as painful as reentering contacts , big deal , they kindly asked that i report back to let them know , and i will for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
you only supposed to get 7-8 hours of talk and internet time and like 9-10 hours video and like 20 audio.

so if your mainly using internet and phone your only gonna get like 7 hours (which is a considerable amount of time for a smartphone/pda especially one with this big of a screen).

those people saying they have 6 hours usage and 1 day standby and 50% left are probably mostly listening to music, since you get better battery life listening to music, they get more usage out of theirs.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
ya take it back they will gladly exchange it . but its a software thing if you cant get away to bring it in , try letting the phone drain until its completely dead , then charging it all the way back up to 100% . that will teach the battery its full and empty capacitys . also restoring the phones software will help as well.

im already experiencing much better battery usage i am excited to report back . i will report once i hit my 20% mark again what my numbers are.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
you only supposed to get 7-8 hours of talk and internet time and like 9-10 hours video and like 20 audio.

so if your mainly using internet and phone your only gonna get like 7 hours (which is a considerable amount of time for a smartphone/pda especially one with this big of a screen).

those people saying they have 6 hours usage and 1 day standby and 50% left are probably mostly listening to music, since you get better battery life listening to music, they get more usage out of theirs.

That is the case with people getting that type of battery life, listening to music and even watching video uses much less power than wifi browsing. I consider my battery life to be alright but to be sure I have a defect free iPhone I plan on exchanging mine for a new one...especially after hearing how easy it is to do at Apple stores.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
That is the case with people getting that type of battery life, listening to music and even watching video uses much less power than wifi browsing. I consider my battery life to be alright but to be sure I have a defect free iPhone I plan on exchanging mine for a new one...especially after hearing how easy it is to do at Apple stores.
If you don't have any problems, don't create one. You never know, you may return a problem free one for a lemon. That happened to me once when I had a razr and I regretted it for the entire time I had the razr after that. I went through about 4 razrs in a year.

ATT*Mark

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
told you guys id report back once i hit my 20% mark

5 hours 8 min usage
9 hours 1 min standby when my 20% popup came up

this is on the first charge so i expect it will only get better . i am going to let it die completly tonite and charge overnight to ensure a full charge.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
exchanged mine today they gave me no problems my new phone is 100% better I'm on 6 hours usage with 50 % left my old one would last 4.5 total glad I took mine back it ain't no software problem

gotnagel

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
the response i got was to make an appointment with the GeniusBar because they are required to test the phone before they can exchange. That way the can try to fix the problem. My battery is also failing..

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
exchanged mine today they gave me no problems my new phone is 100% better I'm on 6 hours usage with 50 % left my old one would last 4.5 total glad I took mine back it ain't no software problem
ok wtf? If I start using the webbrowser I start seeing my battery going away
is this like i can see it going away. this is with wifi...do i have a bad battery? I get the Less then 20 percent rather quick and once i hit it. If I'm still using the phone i'll get under 10 in 10 minutes and 5 same thing. soo what you guys think