Exclusivity Deals Called into Legal Question

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
This isn't the first time this has been tried and has been shot down each time. For some reason the FCC doesn't like this idea or it could be the big boys (ATT, Sprint, ect) have enough money to keep the little guy out in the cold. This is what I think it is.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I really don't see a problem with locking a particular device to a carrier. They've been doing it for ages now and I think it's going to take a bit more than a small group of carriers to make a real change.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
And in the iPhone's case, AT&T had to make changes to their systems to accommodate Visual Voicemail.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Exclusivity can also encourage competitive products by the partners of the carriers who do not have it. Think of how phones on Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile, or phones from Samsung and LG would be today were there not an exclusive deal on AT&T such as the iPhone. They'd all just sell the iPhone (or whatever was the best before it), and the other companies would not have so much of an incentive from them to produce something competitive. (yes, I know, it's not CDMA, just think theoretically here)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Exclusivity can also encourage competitive products by the partners of the carriers who do not have it. Think of how phones on Verizon or Sprint or T-Mobile, or phones from Samsung and LG would be today were there not an exclusive deal on AT&T such as the iPhone. They'd all just sell the iPhone (or whatever was the best before it), and the other companies would not have so much of an incentive from them to produce something competitive. (yes, I know, it's not CDMA, just think theoretically here)

It's not even theory. Look at all the "wanna-be iPhones" that are cropping up - that's competition. The iPhone itself is competition to the Treo, Blackberry, etc. Now someone will try to come out with something even more compelling than the iPhone. I'll bet a lot of money that the non-AT&T carriers are demanding something from their providers (or working feverishly with Apple) to get something to recoup the customers they've lost to the iPhone. I know that if there was a Sprint iPhone that I'd go back in a heartbeat. Might even try Verizon.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yes, I was referring to the fact that the iPhone is not a CDMA phone so it technically could not run on Sprint and Verizon as is... These new competitors only start popping up on the carriers that won't or can't get the iPhone as it is now. Notice AT&T hasn't had anything good come out since it got the iPhone? Just more Blackberries and dime-a-dozen Razr wannabes.

Eliminating exclusivity = stifling competition

Releasing a phone to all carriers is signing its death warrant. Just like the Razr.

Former Verizon customer here... wouldn't go back even if they did get the iPhone

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
What about the AT&T Tilt? In terms of features, it kills the iPhone. The iPhone cannot come close to it in technical abilities.

It's not an iPhone killer, because it was out before the iPhone in previous incarnations (8125, 8525).

I'd still get the iPhone though, cos it's got sex appeal! The honeeez love it.

Yes, I was referring to the fact that the iPhone is not a CDMA phone so it technically could not run on Sprint and Verizon as is... These new competitors only start popping up on the carriers that won't or can't get the iPhone as it is now. Notice AT&T hasn't had anything good come out since it got the iPhone? Just more Blackberries and dime-a-dozen Razr wannabes.

Eliminating exclusivity = stifling competition

Releasing a phone to all carriers is signing its death warrant. Just like the Razr.

Former Verizon customer here... wouldn't go back even if they did get the iPhone

We Beat U

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
I don't understand the complaint here. You buy an iPhone, you know what carrier you can use the iPhone with, you then sue Apple because you can't use the iPhone on another Carrier? I don't see why it's an issue. If people are bothered by it...don't buy the iPhone!

I think I'll go out today and buy an XM radio, then sue XM because I can't use it on Sirrius' satellites (assuming they are still separate services as of today). :confused:

"Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well." - Robert Heinlein

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
What about the AT&T Tilt? In terms of features, it kills the iPhone. The iPhone cannot come close to it in technical abilities.

It's not an iPhone killer, because it was out before the iPhone in previous incarnations (8125, 8525).

I'd still get the iPhone though, cos it's got sex appeal! The honeeez love it.
Apple put far more thought into the usability of their phone than anyone before them. 5 years of R&D. Building features onto such a solid foundation is far easier than taking a watered down foundation such as Windows Mobile and trying to make it more usable. People are far more adaptable than Microsoft thinks - they made Windows Mobile as close to the Windows desktop experience as they could get on a mobile device, and it turned out badly in my experience...

To each his own, of course, but the Apple design theory of "form is just as important as function" works quite well here. It's a more usable phone than anything else I've ever tried. I use more of it than I could or would use any prior "top of the line" WM device.

Basically, with a single product, they have all the other manufacturers scrambling to start steering in the direction of usability, which is good for the market overall. Continuing with exclusivity is the best way to ensure these improvements keep coming and keep driving Apple to make their stuff better. iPods haven't changed quite as much because they're so dominant.