Existing AT&T customer upgrading q's

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 29, 2007
I have one (an iPhone) coming cause my current phone is taking a dump and I have two questions for those that already had cingular/att when they switched to the iPhone.

First question is can I switch my plan completely to the iPhone plan, or do I HAVE to add the data package to my current plan?

Next, Is there a lag time between when my data plan will go into effect due to my current billing cycle (like when you switch to more minutes it doesn't take effect until the next billing cycle begins)?

Thanks

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I have one (an iPhone) coming cause my current phone is taking a dump and I have two questions for those that already had cingular/att when they switched to the iPhone.

First question is can I switch my plan completely to the iPhone plan, or do I HAVE to add the data package to my current plan?

Next, Is there a lag time between when my data plan will go into effect due to my current billing cycle (like when you switch to more minutes it doesn't take effect until the next billing cycle begins)?

Thanks
==================================

I don't think there is a way out of the data plan so it will be twenty bucks on top of your current plan, but you get unlimited data and 200 text messages.

The data plan starts immediately when you activate the new iPhone but will be prorated depending on when you start with respect to your billing cycle.

Oct 29, 2007
==================================

I don't think there is a way out of the data plan so it will be twenty bucks on top of your current plan, but you get unlimited data and 200 text messages.

The data plan starts immediately when you activate the new iPhone but will be prorated depending on when you start with respect to your billing cycle.
So from what I understand, I will be starting my data plan close to the end of my billing cycle, and it will be charged less than the full month's worth?

Also, about the data plan. I knew I would have to get it one way or another which is fine. I was just wondering if they allowed you to switch to the iPhone plan from your current plan. Like over the summer I switched from 450 to 900 minutes. For $10 more a month I could have the 900 minute iPhone plan instead of $20 for the data PLUS my current 900 minute plan. I was just wondering if I could save the $10 more it would cost me by adding the data plan to my current plan. If that makes sense?

Also, can I setup my iPhone to my current account and phone number without going to a store?

Aug 30, 2007
Bothell, WA
So from what I understand, I will be starting my data plan close to the end of my billing cycle, and it will be charged less than the full month's worth?

Also, about the data plan. I knew I would have to get it one way or another which is fine. I was just wondering if they allowed you to switch to the iPhone plan from your current plan. Like over the summer I switched from 450 to 900 minutes. For $10 more a month I could have the 900 minute iPhone plan instead of $20 for the data PLUS my current 900 minute plan. I was just wondering if I could save the $10 more it would cost me by adding the data plan to my current plan. If that makes sense?

Also, can I setup my iPhone to my current account and phone number without going to a store?
They will prorate the data so you will only have to pay for the days you use it. So if you only have a week left of your billing period they will only charge you for those 7 days in that period (about $5). They will also charge you for the next months data in advanced.

Your minute plan will not change by adding the iPhone to your account. You will still have the 900 minute plan for the same price. The only difference is the $20/month for the data and text. I have not seen any specific iPhone minute plan.

You will still have your same account and phone number when you set up the iPhone. You can't set it up in the store. You have to set it up via iTunes.