Existing AT&T customers - Data Plan

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SJChaput

Dec 7, 2007
I know this has probably been asked, but I am getting an iPhone TOMORROW, and need this question answered before I can buy it.

I read that you need to sign up for a data plan just to use the phone.
Is there a way that I can NOT get a data plan, completely disable the EDGE network altogether. I was happy using just the Wi-Fi

I want the thing for the aesthetic appeal, and the ability to have my Phone BE my iPod so I can take it everywhere with me... and use the Wi-Fi occasionally at home or at someone's house.

Is there a way to NOT get a $20 a month data plan and still get the iPhone? I don't NEED unlimited data, I don't go anywhere besides home and work and friends houses and they all have Wi-Fi.

Please let me be able to not get a plan...

supershick

Aug 15, 2007
nope, you gotta get the plan. gotta play by the rules if you still want to use it as a phone. you could buy one and unlock it. that would solve your problem

Drtydzn12

Nov 4, 2007
Actually, there is a way. From what I heard, activate the phone like you normally would. Accept the data plan for now, let the iPhone activate, and when it does, call AT&T, and ask for them to remove your data plan. I'm pretty sure they will.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You're never ANYWHERE except home, work and friends? Never stuck in traffic or waiting for a train to pass? Never in the doctor or dentist waiting room? Never waiting for your car to get washed or the oil changed? I could go on and on. There are dozens and dozens of places you will want to use your iPhone features where there may not be wifi access.

They will no longer let you drop the data plan.

And if you do find some way to get around the system you will end up with an unusually high bill because the phone is frequently using data service, even when you think it's not (e-mail, weather, stocks, etc)

The iPhone without unlimited data is 1/2 the fun.

It's ONLY $20.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
You're never ANYWHERE except home, work and friends? Never stuck in traffic or waiting for a train to pass? Never in the doctor or dentist waiting room? Never waiting for your car to get washed or the oil changed? I could go on and on. There are dozens and dozens of places you will want to use your iPhone features where there may not be wifi access.

They will no longer let you drop the data plan.

And if you do find some way to get around the system you will end up with an unusually high bill because the phone is frequently using data service, even when you think it's not (e-mail, weather, stocks, etc)

The iPhone without unlimited data is 1/2 the fun.

It's ONLY $20.
As of just last month they were allowing you to drop the data plan. Where did you hear that they would no longer allow it?
Also without the data plan they wont end up with an unusually high bill unless they actually use those programs while out of a wi-fi area. You can set your email to only check manually and the weather and stocks only update when you launch them.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
But I agree, it is only $20 and having the ability to get email, browse the web, check weather and maps on the road are all worth far more than the $20 to have the unlimited use of the data. Plus on the jailbroken phones having the ability to check for new software and install it while at doctors appointments or out where your not in a wifi area is great.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
But I agree, it is only $20 and having the ability to get email, browse the web, check weather and maps on the road are all worth far more than the $20 to have the unlimited use of the data. Plus on the jailbroken phones having the ability to check for new software and install it while at doctors appointments or out where your not in a wifi area is great.
you keep saying $20! Actually its more like $240! Its not like you pay twenty bux and thats it... You gotta KEEP coughing it up...

But thats Cool & The Gang! I pay it and so should that guy... But NOT because it's soo-o cheap.... 'cause it aint!

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
As of just last month they were allowing you to drop the data plan. Where did you hear that they would no longer allow it?
Also without the data plan they wont end up with an unusually high bill unless they actually use those programs while out of a wi-fi area. You can set your email to only check manually and the weather and stocks only update when you launch them.

I've read in several different threads here in EIP as well as other forums that AT&T will no longer allow you to drop the data plan. Quite frankly I haven't paid allot of attention since dropping the data plan would never interest me.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
you keep saying $20! Actually its more like $240! Its not like you pay twenty bux and thats it... You gotta KEEP coughing it up...

But thats Cool & The Gang! I pay it and so should that guy... But NOT because it's soo-o cheap.... 'cause it aint!
It is $240 a year in addition to your monthly phone service but it gives you a portable mini-computer that can go anywhere and has most of the functions of a laptop in your pocket available at a moments notice. I pay extra for the overseas data plan and calling plan for Mexico so I also pay close to $35 in addition to the $20 and the regular plan monthly fees but having the ability to sit on the beach in Mexico drinking Margaritas while reading news from the US is worth it to me.

P.S. I am old so news is important to me. ;-)

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it as cheap or cheaper than other data plans?

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Actually, there is a way. From what I heard, activate the phone like you normally would. Accept the data plan for now, let the iPhone activate, and when it does, call AT&T, and ask for them to remove your data plan. I'm pretty sure they will.
This is not true. The "plan" you are adding to your account with AT&T is an iPhone plan for voice and data.

It is not like the BB where you can have voice and then add on a BB BIS or BES plan.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
This is not true. The "plan" you are adding to your account with AT&T is an iPhone plan for voice and data.

It is not like the BB where you can have voice and then add on a BB BIS or BES plan.
Yes but you have the option for the unlimited data rather than one that is like the mediaworks bundle that provides you with just 5MB of data. You can change the data package on the AT&T Wireless site under your account login at any time and can turn off data, switch to a 5MB package, an unlimited data with only 200 text messages, or the iPhone data package itself (mine is unlimited with 1500 text messages).

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes but you have the option for the unlimited data rather than one that is like the mediaworks bundle that provides you with just 5MB of data. You can change the data package on the AT&T Wireless site under your account login at any time and can turn off data, switch to a 5MB package, an unlimited data with only 200 text messages, or the iPhone data package itself (mine is unlimited with 1500 text messages).
Have you tried it or know anyone who has?

The MediaNet is not an option for the iPhone as I understand it and even if you make the changes online I am not sure it will work out.

There are specific iPhone plans for the iPhone and even if you get one of the plans with SMS that is a full feature add I think. I just re-activated my iPhone and the guy made the mistake of putting me on the iPhone plan and then looking for an SMS plan to add ..... no can do.. the iPhone plan with, say 1,500 SMS, is a complete iPhone plan in and of itself.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Here is the thread that discussed AT&T no longer allowing you to remove the data plan. I can't vouch for it either way since I would not even attempt to have an iPhone without the data plan but that's just me.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/iphone-data-plan-question.15853/
It is still an option when you log into the AT&T site with your phone number. I would assume, however have no reason to try it, that if they are no longer allowing you to turn the data plan off that the option to do so would no longer be a selectable option under the iPhone plan on my account. I personally cannot think of any reason to not have the data plan. If I couldn't afford the $20 for the data option then I wouldn't have spent hundreds on the phone. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Have you tried it or know anyone who has?

The MediaNet is not an option for the iPhone as I understand it and even if you make the changes online I am not sure it will work out.

There are specific iPhone plans for the iPhone and even if you get one of the plans with SMS that is a full feature add I think. I just re-activated my iPhone and the guy made the mistake of putting me on the iPhone plan and then looking for an SMS plan to add ..... no can do.. the iPhone plan with, say 1,500 SMS, is a complete iPhone plan in and of itself.
You may be right. It might be that the template they use for the website is generic in nature and no matter what brand phone you have the options show up to be selected. I am not going to try turning it off to test it but I am curious. I think I will call AT&T later and see if they offer the ability to turn off the data plan (officially).

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Okay, from AT&T themselves:

"iPhone requires subscription to eligible Voice Service and Wireless Data Service. Customer’s IRUs (a) must have an eligible Voice Service Plan with a minimum Monthly Service Charge of $39.99 (or an AT&T Family Talk “Add-a-Line” Plan with a Monthly Service Charge of $9.99), and (b) must have an iPhone Data Plan with a minimum Monthly Service Charge of $20.00.* NOTE: iPhone is not compatible with any other data plans from AT&T. "

So it appears that you must have a data plan of some type for the iPhone to work. And the only data plan that AT&T provides that does work with the iPhone is the $20 standard data plan (more with additional text messages).

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You can no longer drop the iPhone data plan and use an iPhone on AT&T. That's the only way Apple gets its share of the monthly bill. Originally you could, but Apple and AT&T closed that loophole.