Explain how WiFi works on iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 6, 2007
I have a question about the wifi feature on the iPhone? how exactly does it work.. im getting an iPhone in a few days and i wasn't sure about the safari or the wifi? can someone please explain to me how these features work? and the wifi wont cost money when u connect through it..thanks

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
The Wifi works just like Wifi on a laptop. You connect to a wireless AP (access point) which gives you internet access. If it is a home or work wireless AP, then it won't cost you money, but if you are using a Hotspot like T-Mobile or some others, then it probably will cost you money. It just depends on what you are using.

Any time you have Wifi on, the iPhone will use it for internet and not the Edge.

Hope that answers your questions.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Wi-Fi is absolutely free; of course, you have to pay to have Internet, but you already do that.

You must have a router, and that's it. Under Settings, there is a Wi-Fi panel. When you open it, the iPhone will scan for Wi-Fi routers. When it finds one, you tap it, and you're in.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
just remember that not all AP's are free. for example, t-mobile runs wifi hotspots at most starbucks locations, and there is a charge to use their AP's (pay-as-you-go subscriptions or regular monthly charges). if you're really concerned about using wifi on the iPhone, you should check out the wifi offerings at the places away from home that you frequent to see if they're free or not.