Explain this

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
its because mms is turned on. if you turn mms off in settings, it will return to sms.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yep it sends "group" messages as mms as default if mms is turned on, hopefully it gets better at figuring out which is which or gives you the choice of what kind of message to send before the final release.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
BTW, how did you get the battery percentage on the status bar? Is that a holdover from a jailbreak?

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Ok my guess is that you have 2 others in your contact list with the same phone number. When my wife calls from home it says her name plus 2 others. thats cause I have the same number under other contact names like 'Home" and my "wifes name" etc. But just a guess.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Ok my guess is that you have 2 others in your contact list with the same phone number. When my wife calls from home it says her name plus 2 others. thats cause I have the same number under other contact names like 'Home" and my "wifes name" etc. But just a guess.
no it just has to do with MMS being turned on. if that works to send, then you are one of the lucky ones!

I think you missed the OP's point. He sent a text to three people, hence the 'Kim Benne & 2 more". The question was why it used MMS rather than SMS.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So that AT&T can bill him for it...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
BTW, how did you get the battery percentage on the status bar? Is that a holdover from a jailbreak?
Unfortunately, yes it's just residue of my jailbreak. That was done on an entirely different phone, by the way, so the battery percentage was backed up in iTunes and then synced to my new iPhone, which has never been jailbroken before. Kinda weird.

I think you missed the OP's point. He sent a text to three people, hence the 'Kim Benne & 2 more". The question was why it used MMS rather than SMS.
Exactly! Did it send my text as a picture message to everyone and charge them all 25 cents or whatever a picture message costs? If so, that's really annoying.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Whoops my bad, sorry!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Exactly! Did it send my text as a picture message to everyone and charge them all 25 cents or whatever a picture message costs? If so, that's really annoying.
Look at the time stamp and check your online usage. MMS do not show up at all on my online usage, now that I'm using 3.0 mms, with swirly they showed as multimedia messages, now they aren't reported (or charged) to my account (or any of the other lines on my account that have received them). If it shows up at all, you should be able to tell what it went out as.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Thats really lame. It happens to me too and I have been wondering why it does that (and my mms doesn't even work). At least now we have copy and paste so i don't have to re write the text to everyone (before i figured out how to make it not send as an mms)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
That's obvious first off... hence the reason why i said "text and mms go under the same plan."
Yes sms and mms both go under the same plan, but to be clear if you have an iPhone messaging plan mms is not included at all...

...Yet

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
No....they aren't. If you don't have a plan it's $.10 per SMS and $.25 per MMS
I was about to back up your post, but went and did some fact checking at the AT&T wireless site. I looked under messaging and under Plans and Plan features. They no longer differentiate between TEXT and Data/media messages (as in picture, music, or video) in their descriptions.
text, picture, video, and IM are all listed in the messaging plan descriptions.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes sms and mms both go under the same plan, but to be clear if you have an iPhone messaging plan mms is not included at all...

...Yet
Yeah, only because the original iPhone was (supposedly) unable to do MMS.

Either way, billing it now all the same thing.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yeah, only because the original iPhone was (supposedly) unable to do MMS.

Either way, billing it now all the same thing.
They still have the iPhone messaging and are specific to just SMS on their website. They won't get rid of those plans until the summer when it is official in their network to support iPhone MMS.

They never really gave an example for why MMS was never included, but who cares at least it is part of the phone now.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I know that we personally don't get charged for MMS but our recipients do. They need to fix this.