Exploding iPhones?

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Hey,

So, my dads in hospital at the moment - nothing serious, nothing to be too worried about - and when I was there visiting yesterday, the nurse was looking at my dad's 3G and my V1, and he told us that a woman in another bay told him that her 3G had exploded and sent glass splinters everywhere!
Strange or what?

Any similar stories?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
WOW, first time I ever hear that. Weird, I don't see how an iPhone could explode that way.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
The only tragedy I've heard is of the guy whos leg suffered third degree burns from the iPhone overheating while in his pants pocket.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey,

So, my dads in hospital at the moment - nothing serious, nothing to be too worried about - and when I was there visiting yesterday, the nurse was looking at my dad's 3G and my V1, and he told us that a woman in another bay told him that her 3G had exploded and sent glass splinters everywhere!
Strange or what?

Any similar stories?
Sound fishy to me. There HAS been documention of one exploding iPhone but apparently it didn't send shards of glass careening through the air: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/Apple/hardware-unlock-explodes-iphone-295631.php
And that's obviously a v1.

Check this out video: http://www.maniacworld.com/exploding-iphone.html
These guys intentionally blew up an iPhone! No glass splinters, apparently.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
[HUMOR]I think this is a good thing. The publicity will finally make Apple's sagging iPhone sales soar.

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about" - Oscar "Mayer" Wilde[/HUMOR]

obbigood

Aug 5, 2009
haha, I tried to purchase iPhone last week but they told me nationwide out-of-stock in France, dunno if there is anything to do with this. Anyway, I really want a iPhone now! Explodable or not!

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
Heard about it on the news here, i'm not convinced these things explode, sounds more like an excuse to replace a broken phone with a FREE new one

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
haha, I tried to purchase iPhone last week but they told me nationwide out-of-stock in France, dunno if there is anything to do with this. Anyway, I really want a iPhone now! Explodable or not!
You'll probably have rotten luck and get the non-exploding model. I hear that the exploding iPhones are going for as much as $4,000 on eBay.