Exporting iPhones

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

skeeeeezo

Oct 10, 2007
I wanted to export some iPhones that i bought at the Apple store to Japan. Is there any legality issues with exporting these phones?

THANKS!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Nope there are no legal issues at all. Unless it's against the law in Japan to use an iPhone out there. But I highly doubt that.

You might get clobbered by the local customs agents out there, if they intercept your package and decide to charge you duty.

Try to ship them close to xmas time, as customs cannot check every single package coming into the country at that time of the year!

skeeeeezo

Oct 10, 2007
Ravman,

Thanks for the reply. THe reason i ask about legality is b/c when i bought the iPhones they made me sign an "Apple user agreement", i don't know if that prohibits exportation of their products.....what do ya think?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
No company in the US has any legal jurisdiction in stopping anyone from doing what they want. Only the law can stop you from doing stuff like that.

If congress passed a law stating iPhones cannot be exported from the US, then yes, you would have an issue. But from what I recall, I don't remember Bush signing any law regarding this (yes I am being sarcastic). Jobs can play god as much as he wants.

Anyhows, iPhones are not from the US, they are from China. Just don't lick it, you might get lead poisoning ;o)

skeeeeezo

Oct 10, 2007
Rav,

Here was my train of thought.... if i signed a user agreement with Apple stating i was not buying them for export there could be some exposure for breech on contract if i didn't export them, no?

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Rav,

Here was my train of thought.... if i signed a user agreement with Apple stating i was not buying them for export there could be some exposure for breech on contract if i didn't export them, no?
I too had to sign that paper... good thing I paid all cash... using a fake name was not a problem...

skeeeeezo

Oct 10, 2007
Soc Kev,

So what's your opinion on the situation? Do you think by signing that paper i am putting myself at risk by exporting these phones?

I don't know if Apple uses this document as a scare tactic or if they have a legitimate right to protect themselves against exporters...

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
There may not be a law for exporting the phone, but there are laws for data and data encryption. Abroad is only allowed 64 bit encryption I believe, or something like that. I'm trying to remember this off the top of my head.

So, as long as the internet feed isn't using an encryption level higher than what the US allows outside of the US, if they're using any encryption at all, then you're good.

But if you take that technology over seas and they begin to replicate it, I'm going to hold you personally responsible. :laugh2:

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Soc Kev,

So what's your opinion on the situation? Do you think by signing that paper i am putting myself at risk by exporting these phones?

I don't know if Apple uses this document as a scare tactic or if they have a legitimate right to protect themselves against exporters...
Only thing I can think of is that they could track the Serial #'s and see where the phones end up being activated... but even then, they arent activated through AT&T so they would never know. Also, they put it in a folder, so there is no attachment to the receipt log or anything... I think you're good...

skeeeeezo

Oct 10, 2007
well if Apple sees that you are buying iPhones at several different locations and signing these "user agreements" each time, they will realize you are buying a lot of phones. Once they check the serial numbers and see they are not being activated they will know i am exporting them.

Then, at AT&T i had to initial an "iPhone tracking log".

I definititely don't want to get in trouble over this.