Expunge file without exiting the Application, i.e. TextEdit, that's using it?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Greetings--

Suppose I have a file open in OS X's Textedit.app. Is there a way to get rid of it the file in question permanently from right within the app? No saving to disk, simply deleting...

Thanks in advance for any help...

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Greetings--

Suppose I have a file open in OS X's Textedit.app. Is there a way to get rid of it the file in question permanently from right within the app? No saving to disk, simply deleting...

Thanks in advance for any help...
So you're looking at other .rtf files within the TextEdit.app - and you want to be able to browse through Finder and delete existing .rtf files from within TextEdit.app? Right?

Or do you mean when you've opened a new note within TextEdit.app do you mean can you simply delete what you've created? You can press Cmd-N which in turn creates a new, 'note' then you can simply press the red X to shut the window, you will then be prompted to delete...

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Or do you mean when you've opened a new note within TextEdit.app do you mean can you simply delete what you've created? You can press Cmd-N which in turn creates a new, 'note' then you can simply press the red X to shut the window, you will then be prompted to delete...
Your second suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks!