Extension for charger cable?

ronnie123

Bronze
Aug 25, 2009
Has anyone found an extension for the USB/charging cable that works? I bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220475117818 and it does extend the cable. However when I plug in the iPhone (3GS) I get an error message stating that this device is not supported for charging. When I disconnect the extension, the stock cord works fine...it just too short for where I'd like to use it. The stock cord provided with the phone is fairly short so I would guess this has been an issue for others as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I bought 3 of these 10ft USB Extension Cables listed below. They all work like a charm! Monoprice is excellent! Most of the things I needed to return to Monoprice because they were incompatible or just didn't work, they told me to keep or throw away and they credited me my money back, shipping and all. However, beware of their chargers for the iPhone - use at your discretion and make sure you comb the reviews. :eek:k:eek:k

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5894&seq=1&format=2

ronnie123

Bronze
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks Watcher. That looks just like what I bought but a little longer...of course how else would it look. I wonder what's different between mine and this one. Anyway, for that price I can afford to take a chance and see if hopefully this is different and actually works. Thanks for the link.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
From my experience, not only these cables but others are not made the same. Monoprice can be trusted, though.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
If the stock USB cord is too short, I recommend getting a surge protector power strip instead of a USB extension. The 3GS requires more juice and using anything but a stock 3GS Apple iPhone USB cable when upgrading, syncing or restoring can cause errors. If you are going to use a USB extension, don't use it while upgrading or syncing.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Avoid USB extension when it comes to anything iphone-related. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Avoid USB extension when it comes to anything iphone-related. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience.
Well, I don't know about the 3GS but I've been using this aforementioned USB extension cable to charge my 3G since I first bought it last year with no problems at all. However, like Europa mentioned, I don't use it to sync the iPhone so I couldn't recommend others to do it either.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The 3GS is a different beast than the 3G in regards to power consumption. The battery draws more power, and it's a greater drain on the USB spec. I've seen countless reports of 3GS-specific charging and syncing issues.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i tried using a 4-foot USB cable to connect to my 3gs's dock. It originally came with an iPhone car charger (designed before even the 3G model).

that was a massive load of fail. I threw it away.

ronnie123

Bronze
Aug 25, 2009
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm using this for just charging at work...not hooked up to the pc but using the ac plug...not sure why it didn't occur to me before but instead of extending the USB, I can use a regular electric extension cord and extend its reach that way...doh!