External battery for iPhone

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
http://www.mophie.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

They are pretty pricey, but may be worth it. Rush Limbaugh mentioned them on his show, so they are back ordered now. Here are their specs:

iPhone 3G S:
Standby Time: Up to 350 hours
Talk Time: Up to 6 hours on 3G | Up to 12 hours on 2G
Internet Use: Up to 6 hours on 3G | Up to 7 hours on Wi-Fi
Audio Playback: Up to 28 hours
Video Playback: Up to 8 hours

iPhone 3G:
Standby Time: Up to 350 hours
Talk Time: Up to 6 hours on 3G | Up to 12 hours on 2G
Internet Use: Up to 6 hours on 3G | Up to 7 hours on Wi-Fi
Audio Playback: Up to 28 hours
Video Playback: Up to 8 hours

I had an idea of a handmade way to add an external battery. I thought about trying a battery pack - either 3 akaline batteries (4.5 volts) or 4 rechargeable batteries (5 volts) and rigging it up to a USB extension cable so I could plug the docking cord into that. Would the iPhone be able to use the power from the docking connector while it was running? It would be basically the same as running it in a car with a cigarette lighter adapter.

Whaddaya think?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Incase is redissigning their power case that gives battery life. Id look into that case. They make good products IMO. Very expensive, but yes good products that last. Iv had an incase silder case since iPhone 1.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I just wrote about how happy I am with the Juice Pack Air in the Products section.

Def something I would recommend

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
As I wrote in another thread...

As FYI the APC Mobile Power Pack is now on sale at Staples for only $19.99, no rebate or anything. It's regularly $50 or $60, so I grabbed one (might go back for another at that price).

This is the unit at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/177-0479550-1980119?a=B000GBN42E

It's been working great. Pretty small, about the size of a BB Bold.

I'm just not ready to use one of those case/slider type of batteries. The case kind, I definitely wouldn't use, as the reports of reception degradation are rather common. (I mean the kind where the battery sits on the back of the iPhone.)

--
Mike

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
I went on ebay and looked and found some really chea ones - they plug right into the bottom of the iPhone. The only drawback I can see is that it might put stress on the connector on the bottom of the iPhone. It would be easy to put a cable inline to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryman

Bronze
May 30, 2009
colorado
As I wrote in another thread...

As FYI the APC Mobile Power Pack is now on sale at Staples for only $19.99, no rebate or anything. It's regularly $50 or $60, so I grabbed one (might go back for another at that price).

This is the unit at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/177-0479550-1980119?a=B000GBN42E

It's been working great. Pretty small, about the size of a BB Bold.

I'm just not ready to use one of those case/slider type of batteries. The case kind, I definitely wouldn't use, as the reports of reception degradation are rather common. (I mean the kind where the battery sits on the back of the iPhone.)

--
Mike
i kinda like that APC one u use it yet? you got the staples number for it? APC site says its a discontinued item, and staples site don't have it

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
yep i have been using Mophie Juice pack Air for about 2 months now, and it is amazing. I don't ever have to worry about not using my phone to its fullest potential. I can use it whenever and however i want without worrying about battery ever.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
i kinda like that APC one u use it yet? you got the staples number for it? APC site says its a discontinued item, and staples site don't have it
I've used it and it works great. A good thing to have for the 3GS.

I don't have the Staples number, as I just happened by it while in the store. I figured for $20 I could not go wrong, and I was right.

--
Mike

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Nice review NAP. I thought of purchasing this battery, but the only thing I don't like is having to hook up an extra cable. I prefer just one unit snapping onto the bottom of the iPhone. I can see using this on long trips however.
One thing I like about this unit is the build quality.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Is it worth it to buy an external battery? I can get like 10 hours battery life. I don't mind charging it using USB cable.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As I said in the review, it will charge your iPhone almost four times.
I appreciated the times showing the precentages you listed on your review. That was very helpful. I've had to return 2 external batteries so far I bought through Amazon. I just wasn't pleased with them or the charge time.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I would avoid making any of your own external batteries. The last thing you want to do is mess up you iPhone. This is my favorite it is the only one that I found that didn't mess with the iPhone's signal

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV979LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0MQ&mco=NjEyNzMxMQ
What worried me most is the iPhone's signal. At least 25% of reviewers noted a noticeable drop off in signal strength. This would make sense since the battery packs supply electricity and could affect the iPhone's internal antenna.

jimmy-m

Bronze
Jul 19, 2009
I would avoid making any of your own external batteries. The last thing you want to do is mess up you iPhone. This is my favorite it is the only one that I found that didn't mess with the iPhone's signal

I gave up on that idea very quickly, once I realized that there were external batteries already available. I'm new at this.

Does anyone know the capacity of the 3Gs's battery? Would it be possible to replace it at some point in the future?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I gave up on that idea very quickly, once I realized that there were external batteries already available. I'm new at this.

Does anyone know the capacity of the 3Gs's battery? Would it be possible to replace it at some point in the future?
1240mAh, I believe.