External Drive to iMac keeps disconnecting?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bry279, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bry279

bry279 Member
    Bronze

New iMac 27" running Lion. I added a few external drives for different storage needs. 1 connected USB for backup/Time Machine, 1 USB for eBooks/pictures, 1 F/W800 for movie catalog and 1 USB for music. It's this last one that's driving me bonkers as it keeps unmounting every 20 minutes, then re-starting after a few minutes. Always giving me that lovely warning that I didn't disconnect the drive properly. It has it's own power brick (they all do) and is not connected to a hub. All the drives are the same brand FG Fantom so I'm at a loss. Why just that 1?

Any ideas ?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Hopefully, acosmichippo will chime in. Until then, my suggestions are to go into Disk Utility and and verify and repair the disk. You could also try switching USB ports with one of your other drives.

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Maybe it has a sleep mode?

4. bry279

bry279 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately its still un-mounting. I moved it to the hub, off the USB hub to diff USB ports in iMac. Reformatted, etc. was going to google search today but Internet went down & tech was here all day fixing that. When it rains......

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you tested it with a different computer?

6. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

Do you hear any clicking sounds?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

7. the panda

the panda New Member

i wouldn't hesitate to take it back for replacement, i wouldn't even try to quick fix it. imagine if you somehow find a quick solution and keep all your pictures there, and after some time HDD fails again but this time permanently with all your personal stuff. These days faulty HDD rate is pretty low,, you have 1.3 % chance to purchase faulty drive.