External HD

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM

• I was hoping to get some opinion on an external HD . I would really like one that is networked so it can be accessed wirelessly or remotely but it doesn't have to be.

Im look for at least 500gb maybe 1tb .

I have thought about the Time Capsule but i am planning on getting the AT&T Uverse and i don't think it compatible as i have to use the router than att provides

What have you guys used and been happy with. What ones should i stay away from

Thanks

Larry

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I've been very happy with Western Digital. I have two 500GB models. Firewire and USB compatible. One of my drives serves as my Time Machine backup. The other serves as my media storage drive. Been very happy with the performance.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The time capsule will work just fine with any other router. You just have to configure it accordingly, which is relatively easy with the software provided.

That being said, you should not have to used the router provided by ATT if you don't want to.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I have a Western Digital My Book Essential hard drive (500GB). It's attached to my Airport Extreme base station and it works perfectly. It's my Time Machine back-up drive - my computer finds it when it needs to do a back-up and disconnects from it when it's done. Completely seamless back-ups - I love it!

I had thought about getting a Time Capsule, but I didn't want to be stuck with the hard drive that's built into it. This way, I can upgrade or swap out for a different one easily.

I have a LaCie external drive as well and started having some issues with it when I upgraded my last Mac to Leopard. I like LaCie drives but I don't know how well they're playing with Macs these days.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I too have a Wester Digital 500 GB. The transfers seem super fast and I keep it plugged into my AirPort Extreme and sync everything on my iPod Classic and iPhone wirelessly using the HD. It's great especially since the MBA hard drive is pretty small.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
The time capsule will work just fine with any other router. You just have to configure it accordingly, which is relatively easy with the software provided.

That being said, you should not have to used the router provided by ATT if you don't want to.
You do because your Tv comes in through the same equipment

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
You do because your Tv comes in through the same equipment
That's fine - but Dcom has Uverse installed today and he now has 3 wireless networks in his house. You don't have to combine the networks - keep them separate.

I also have a WD - 640GB for my iMac, and 250GB for my MacBook. If you're going to use it for backup, make sure you format the drive for OS X and don't leave it as Fat 32.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Do you have to format the whole drive for os x? will i be able to back up both my MacBook and my wifes HP to the same HD?

Another thing do windows based work well with an airport extreme? I need a new router my belkin is dropping constantly plus it several years old and id like to have an "n"

I have seen several on Ebay anyone think thats a bad idea?

about the Uverse im just going to what the Morons at AT&T told me personally i think id rather have the airport extreme if possible

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Do you have to format the whole drive for os x?
no, you can create different "partitions" of the disk and format them all differently.

will i be able to back up both my MacBook and my wifes HP to the same HD?
Yes. You can either partition it like i mentioned above, OR if you end up sharing an HDD on your network via a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme, windows WILL be able to use an OSX-formatted drive for backups as well.

Another thing do windows based work well with an airport extreme? I need a new router my belkin is dropping constantly plus it several years old and id like to have an "n"

I have seen several on Ebay anyone think thats a bad idea?

about the Uverse im just going to what the Morons at AT&T told me personally i think id rather have the airport extreme if possible
Apple routers work just fine with windows machines.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Well i picked up an AirPort Extreme base station today at circuit city. The had it at $113 + tax on their everything must go sale ( which for the most part is horrible) most things were raised to their MSRP then 10% off

Anyway that was the most painless setup ive ever done on any router .

I cant wait to get a HD to add to it now

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
nice... that makes me want to head down to the CC near me... in fact, i just may do that tonight.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Just watch the prices, I looked at a 500gb mybook essential Saturday for 89.99
On Sunday it was 139.99

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, I work at best buy, so I have a pretty good idea of what the items I'm interested in go for.

Anyway, mostly everything was still only 10% off, except CDs, DVDs, and BDs were 20% off.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well i picked up an AirPort Extreme base station today at circuit city. The had it at $113 + tax on their everything must go sale ( which for the most part is horrible) most things were raised to their MSRP then 10% off

Anyway that was the most painless setup ive ever done on any router .

I cant wait to get a HD to add to it now
Nicely done. My AirPort Extreme is one of my favorite Apple products.

I'm looking to get a 500 GB portable hard drive for when I go on the road. Might have to check out CC.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I know the mgr at our local cc and he said he expects the % to drop again on Sunday.

Probably go from 10%-30% to 20%-40% from what he said

I personally think the Airport extreme was priced wrong in the computer. it was marked $179.99 but when i asked he told me 125 less 10%