Extra battery life, I HAVE searched some

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

teknochild

Nov 3, 2007
Ive come up with a few things while searching (which are below) but i need clarification on a few things.

I did not buy my iPhone for the ipod capability :shock: as i very rarely use mobile audi, but ill be needing to listen to music for 8 hours a day for a week while im snowboarding this season in colorado

im not sure how long it will last playing music, but i doubt its 8 hours, throw in the fact that its about 10 degrees on the slopes and battery life is cut in to 1/4 of what it normally is, and its just not going to last

SO ive been looking for a solution

this first link is something for the ipod video but im not sure if they use the same connector?

http://www.thegadgetlocker.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/184/products_id/2308

this is somethign i found on the site that uses an AA bettery (nice since i can just buy new ones if it runs out) but it uses the ipod connector too? but someone on this forum said it worked?

http://www.iturbocharge.com/index.html

beyond these i see many USB interfaced chargers/extenders

these are just some of the posts i found so you don't think im being totally noob and posting a jackass of a question for my first post

my other question is, does anyone know the full spec of the iPhones battery and how much i can expect in extra *normal* music playing life from some of these products?

any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
Not trying to be rude at all, but do you think hauling a $500 iPhone around on your side as an MP3 player while you snowboard is a good idea? Have you thought about a $39 3gb MP3 player from Wally World?

teknochild

Nov 3, 2007
Not trying to be rude at all, but do you think hauling a $500 iPhone around on your side as an MP3 player while you snowboard is a good idea? Have you thought about a $39 3gb MP3 player from Wally World?
well, its also my phone, and anyone who goes on the slopes without a phone is a fool

and its pretty hard to break something if you put it in the right pocket

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Ok, I've never been snowboarding, but I watch enough TV to know it would be cheaper on both fronts to get yourself a spare phone just for the occasion; something that you wouldn't mind if it took a tumble or 2. And a cheap mp3 player.

You said you need the music to play for 8 hours. Are you going to be snowboarding for 8 continual hours?
teknochild said:
well, its also my phone, and anyone who goes on the slopes without a phone is a fool
Without a signal, what good will it do you as a phone. Depending in where you're going to be, most phones battery will decrease from trying to catch and maintain a signal. With the wear and tear your going to put on it, especially in the conditions you mentioned, you will have music long after you have no phone.

teknochild said:
throw in the fact that its about 10 degrees on the slopes
As an aside, please for your own sake, keep in mind that you're carrying a small computer in your pocket. Temps that low can cause more harm than good. You are a prime canidate for moisture/water in your phone which can ultimately render it useless when you need it the most. You'll go from 1 condition (outdoors) to another (indoors) and wont have a thought about pulling out your phone to use.

I think you're best response would come from other snowboarders. All the links you provider based on your searching say nothing specific about being used for the iPhone and thats what you need to look more in to.

I can understand that you may think that it should work since it works for the video iPod, but many many 3P accessories for the video iPod are not compatible with the iPhone.

teknochild

Nov 3, 2007
Ok, I've never been snowboarding, but I watch enough TV to know it would be cheaper on both fronts to get yourself a spare phone just for the occasion; something that you wouldn't mind if it took a tumble or 2. And a cheap mp3 player.

You said you need the music to play for 8 hours. Are you going to be snowboarding for 8 continual hours?

Without a signal, what good will it do you as a phone. Depending in where you're going to be, most phones battery will decrease from trying to catch and maintain a signal. With the wear and tear your going to put on it, especially in the conditions you mentioned, you will have music long after you have no phone.

As an aside, please for your own sake, keep in mind that you're carrying a small computer in your pocket. Temps that low can cause more harm than good. You are a prime canidate for moisture/water in your phone which can ultimately render it useless when you need it the most. You'll go from 1 condition (outdoors) to another (indoors) and wont have a thought about pulling out your phone to use.

I think you're best response would come from other snowboarders. All the links you provider based on your searching say nothing specific about being used for the iPhone and thats what you need to look more in to.

I can understand that you may think that it should work since it works for the video iPod, but many many 3P accessories for the video iPod are not compatible with the iPhone.
I don't mean to be a *** especially since i just joined, but you don't know what your talking about, there is reception on most ski resorts in the US full reception actually.

as for "mini computers" not operating at low temps, wow i don't know what i can even say to this besides wow; and even if you meant just because of the fear of condensation, i would like to know how you plan on getting condensation on a 9000ft mountain in the middle of winter... you need humidity for condensation, there is no such thing. i deal with subzero CPU cooling and i know very much the conditions it takes to create condensation, besides the fact that the air has no humidity up there, you need a LOT i mean a LOT more air than the volume inside the iPhone to get any sort of condensation whatsoever

even more point about condensation is the iPhone is made out of materials that have a very low heat capacity, you need materials of high heat capacity in order for condensation to form before the material itself is heated to ambient

as for breaking "such an expensive phone" why don't you let me worry about the risks im willing to take with my personal belongings

this is the reason i made the thread for info about if these products are compatible and what i can expect from there performance, NOT to be lectured by people who don't even know what there talking about the conditions my phone will face while snowboarding :rolleyes:

next time i will make sure to leave out the details to avoid such ridiculous comments

Chris Hyde

Bronze
Oct 27, 2007
I do a lot of off-roading and I do not want my iPhone ruined, so I pay $10.00 per month for an additional line to our family plan. When I am out, I forward the iPhone to the new phone, which was a FREE Nokia 2610 from AT&T.

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
Granted, we haven't hit the coldest of temps yet, but I've had 4 days on the slopes here in CO and have had no trouble using my iPhone. Battery life has been good, and I've even been able to upload pics to my .mac account from the mountain. And yes... I've taken a couple good high-speed tumbles. The phone will survive it.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Granted, we haven't hit the coldest of temps yet, but I've had 4 days on the slopes here in CO and have had no trouble using my iPhone. Battery life has been good, and I've even been able to upload pics to my .mac account from the mountain. And yes... I've taken a couple good high-speed tumbles. The phone will survive it.
So you hope!

This is just what the OP wants to hear. Come back and tell us all about your adventure when it doesn't survive it.

On another note, if something does happen, he may hold you personally responsible. Afterall, you did give it your seal of approval.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Why? B/C he asked a question and people
1. didn't answer his question
2. spoke about conditions about they didn't know about
3. he defended conditions that HE KNOWS ABOUT?

Not to be rude also, but man, lay off.

To the OP - I know that within normal temps, using the "phone feature" only 2 or 3 times, my phone will play 2 eight hour days straight w/o charging. I work in an office and I listen to music from 8 to 5, all day, and charge every other day. If you charge your phone after you're done 'boarding you should be fine.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
So you hope!

This is just what the OP wants to hear. Come back and tell us all about your adventure when it doesn't survive it.

On another note, if something does happen, he may hold you personally responsible. Afterall, you did give it your seal of approval.
I find this a little ridiculous too. People go running w/their phones on their arms. Phone have gone flying out of the arm bands and skipped across the road and was fine. May have some dings, but it worked. If you do some searching you'll find this happened to one of our members.

I doubt anyone would hold a stranger on message board liable for damage to his own phone. But I sensed sarcasm in your post, so I leave you w/a smiley. :p

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I doubt anyone would hold a stranger on message board liable for damage to his own phone.
That's a pretty little fantasy world you live in.

Think about what you just said.....then think about how lawsuit-happy people are. Do you honestly think something like that wouldn't happen?

teknochild

Nov 3, 2007
looks promising, its made for the i pod though, i guess they use the same connector then, if thats compatible then the others probably are too

yes these people talking about how your going to wreck your phone don't know WTF they are talking about, if you fell bad enough to ruin the phone in your pocket your going to have a lot more to worry about then your phone

So you hope!

your a special guy you know that

Why? B/C he asked a question and people
1. didn't answer his question
2. spoke about conditions about they didn't know about
3. he defended conditions that HE KNOWS ABOUT?

Not to be rude also, but man, lay off.

To the OP - I know that within normal temps, using the "phone feature" only 2 or 3 times, my phone will play 2 eight hour days straight w/o charging. I work in an office and I listen to music from 8 to 5, all day, and charge every other day. If you charge your phone after you're done 'boarding you should be fine.
thanks for the backup, i think if i had posted about bringing the iPhone skydiving i would be warned that if i should my chute not open and i impact the ground at high speed that my iPhone would be broken and therefore i should look into getting a cheap phone :cool:

cold really does murder battery life though, your right though i probably could make it, but i want to be safe

teknochild

Nov 3, 2007
More than one person has suggested taking a spare cellphone/cheap mp3 player with you.

Why are the most obvious hints, the hardest for people to pickup on?
actually they werent hints, it was direct (and unrequested) advice from people who have no idea whats involved with snowboarding or the risks to carrying electronics with you

i bought the phone to use, and i plan on doing just that, using it and since it is my personal property i will decide what i will and will not do with it, if i decide to stick it up my ass knowing the risks that is my right, if you guys could let me know the dangers of this as i am ignorant on the subject of sticking things in my ass and some of you are apparently educated on this

im sorry if your worried about the one in a million chance of breaking your precious phone and having to replace it, you should probably leave it at home from now on, you might trip and fall and break it, or worse don't EVER pick it up because you might drop it!11111oneoneoneoneleven

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
That's a pretty little fantasy world you live in.

Think about what you just said.....then think about how lawsuit-happy people are. Do you honestly think something like that wouldn't happen?
I do think about what I post before I post it. I know some people don't, but you write it on a website, and it's there for good (minus the edit feature and mods).

Now I ask the same of you. Think about what you are saying. Let's say OP decides to sue a random guy on website b/c random guy said his phone would survive a flush in the toilet. Really? Would:

1. any lawyer take that case?
2. if they did, would it go to court?

Yes, people love to sue here, in the overweight, small-minded US of A. But even here, this is not a logical train of thought (that the OP could sue over random guy saying his phone would be ok).

To the OP -

No problem, yes, temp is a big drain on batteries, and I bet you could probably find optimal temperature guidelines if you search Apple, but I don't hink you'll get your answer until you actually test it. Though, if kept up your ass, I think that would be great insulation and provide good warmth. :p

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
actually they werent hints, it was direct (and unrequested) advice from people who have no idea whats involved with snowboarding or the risks to carrying electronics with you

i bought the phone to use, and i plan on doing just that, using it and since it is my personal property i will decide what i will and will not do with it, if i decide to stick it up my ass knowing the risks that is my right, if you guys could let me know the dangers of this as i am ignorant on the subject of sticking things in my ass and some of you are apparently educated on this

im sorry if your worried about the one in a million chance of breaking your precious phone and having to replace it, you should probably leave it at home from now on, you might trip and fall and break it, or worse don't EVER pick it up because you might drop it!11111oneoneoneoneleven
Well as someone else said.......hopefully you destroy your phone while snowboarding. Maybe then you'll heed the suggestions of others without trying to dish out your pathetic, teenage attitude. They have medications to help you now so there's no excuse for not being calm and sedated.

I don't mean to be a ****
Guess you were just kidding with that line huh?